Most horrific les paul story!

lunchbox

Reaction score
I had Les Pauls, even Custom Shops. I've sold them all to pay bills. Now I don't own any Gibsons and play a Peavey T-60.

The end.

starscream

Reaction score
WOW, that is some vicious checking. Not the sexy variety either IMO. I would imagine the cost of repair was near the cost of the guitar lol.
It was more than what I bought it for - they quoted me $1000 for the body only, and $1650 for the body and neck, although I didn't have any issues with the neck.

SpawnedX

Reaction score
Once upon a time I had one and then I sold it and had none, and sad I was, but now I have one again.

Leebak

Reaction score
It was more than what I bought it for - they quoted me $1000 for the body only, and $1650 for the body and neck, although I didn't have any issues with the neck.

To me that chekings looks just amazing and means the lacquer is hard.
Also means that the finish has less plastiziers than "normal" so it breaks instead of beeing flexible. Dont get me wrong, all lacquer guitars will develope checkings soon or later, but if a guitar checks the first years just by light weather change, it means that.
Flexible lacquer usually its soft and sticky.

Petergrifindor

Reaction score
I was in a guitar shop right at the moment when a guy was told that the Gibson Custom Shop that he had bought for 1500$ and was trying to resell was a Chibson.

You only had to see his face to realize that he really didn´t know.

Poor guy.

itsTrips

Reaction score
Jeeeeezuz. Now that's ludicrous!

kubi

Reaction score
I was in a guitar shop right at the moment when a guy was told that the Gibson Custom Shop that he had bought for 1500$ and was trying to resell was a Chibson.

You only had to see his face to realize that he really didn´t know.

Poor guy.
just another example of why you should buy without playing and seeing the guitar close up.

LPJNoob

Reaction score
I have the all time worst Les Paul story of stories!
a guy I used to be in a band with owns a 59 black beauty, his parents bought it for him in 1975 for his 16th b-day (he was born in 59), sometime a couple years later he decided that he wanted to be able to turn on his flanger & another effect pedal at will with out having to be on his side of the stage (like the nightclub & high school stage were that big) does anyone see where this is going yet? YES HE DID IT! he routed out over half of the back of the guitar to install his pedals in it. many friends including myself have been giving him **** for over 30 years now for it.
so does that take the cake?
Where do you take a cake? Know where I'd take it? Down to the bakery, to see the other cakes.(George Carlin joke).

SparkyJones

Reaction score
Not a Les Paul story, but Gibson nonetheless. My '07 Hummingbird's pick guard lost its tenacity and started to curl from the bottom and eventually made its way all the way up to the sound hole. I was pissed and contacted Gibson many times about purchasing a replacement pick guard to put on muself. Took me almost 6 months of emails back and forth with the purchasing managers and warranty services to get a new one. But there for a long time my treasured Hummingbird was birdless and I had no idea if the issue would ever be rectified.

Ghostmaker

Reaction score
Ordered a '92 Studio on eBay. It arrived in case, but when I opened it up the headstock was broken off. I contacted the seller who said it wasn't broke when he sent it, that he would open a claim with UPS, and refund my money. UPS picked it up, but I never got a hold of the seller again, nor did he send me my money. I messaged him once a day for a week or so, with no response. Eventually I contacted eBay and got my money back, and the seller's account closed shortly thereafter.

GuitarDad04

Reaction score
Hope its okay to revive this old thread! Some horrific content here haha

LP Fan

Reaction score
My first LP was a Faded Mahogany Studio. It felt and played great. My wife's brother, who used to be a guitar tech for a famous musician and who plays Strats exclusively, insisted on setting it up for me. I agreed reluctantly to avoid insulting him, but I didn't have a good feeling about it. He set it up all right! When I got it back from him, it was virtually unplayable. The guitar felt awful ... the action sucked, the frets had been filed down and had sharp edges, and it played like sh*t. I was so upset, but couldn't say anything because it was my wife's brother. Brought it to a local tech who said it needed new frets and a set up. I just felt that the good mojo had been lost and didn't feel like shelling out dough to repair a brand new guitar. So, I sold it at a loss of $200 and bought another LP Studio. I really miss that Faded Mahogany LP.

Last edited:

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
My first LP was a Faded Mahogany Studio. It felt and played great. My wife's brother, who used to be a guitar tech for a famous musician and who plays Strats exclusively, insisted on setting it up for me. I agreed reluctantly to avoid insulting him, but I didn't have a good feeling about it. He set it up all right! When I got it back from him, it was virtually unplayable. The guitar felt awful ... the action sucked, the frets had been filed down and had sharp edges, and it played like sh*t. I was so upset, but couldn't say anything because it was my wife's brother. Brought it to a local tech who said it needed new frets and a set up. I just felt that the good mojo had been lost and didn't feel like shelling out dough to repair a brand new guitar. So, I sold it at a loss of $200 and bought another LP studio in Fireburst. I really miss that Faded Mahogany LP.
Jesus Christ dude. That guy sucks ass. Unbelievable.

I have an 07’ vintage mahogany, those things are amazing.

Sparky84

Reaction score
It’s 1980 and I’m a freshman in college and had been playing acoustic for just a few years at that point. Used to occasionally rent electrics to jam with a buddy in high school, but never owned one (and really didn’t know much about the various models at that point, other than I could tell a Strat from a LP).

So along comes an upperclassman who sees I have an acoustic, and he offers me his well-used Les Paul for $100. I decided I had a better use for that $100 than paying for chemistry textbooks, so I bought it. It needed a re-fret as a few frets buzzed, and other than that I can barely remember what it looked like and don’t have any photos. I seem to recall it may have been a lemon burst color. I didn’t own an amp (money was tight in college), but used to play it through my stereo by plugging a cable into it somehow.

Anyway, I have no recollection of bringing it back to my parents’ house that summer, and assume I must have sold it to somebody else for $50 before the end of that year. I don’t think it even had a case.

Now, I’m guessing that it was original since 1980 was well before the days of Chibson knockoffs - no one in China would know what a Les Paul was in those days. And I distinctly recall it said Gibson and Les Paul on the headstock. So now that I own a few and know a bit about them, I’ve concluded that my first electric was probably a 1969-73 vintage LP, based on the fretwear. And I effectively gave it away rather than doing a re-fret and keeping it. Bonehead move!

Last edited:

Demon Dave

Reaction score
In 1991 I‘ve bought a black 1980 Custom, it was gorgeous and it was a really good player, I play on stage with her for years. after 15 years I traded it for a brand new Standard.
Don’t let go a good black Custom, never...

afireinside

Reaction score
Found out my dads cousin had a 60s cherryburst LP standard in his closet unused for decades. Found out about 2 years after it was stolen by his kids shitbag friend. He would have given it to me free......... this was also the height of the vintage prices

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
Found out my dads cousin had a 60s cherryburst LP standard in his closet unused for decades. Found out about 2 years after it was stolen by his kids shitbag friend. He would have given it to me free......... this was also the height of the vintage prices
Unbelievable. I don’t follow vintage pricing, when was that and are they much cheaper now?

KS 5150

Reaction score
I bought a Dax & Co aged Goldtop Classic used for my brother's 50th birthday. It arrived two days before the big birthday party like this:

IMG_0664.jpg

It was a major scramble to get it fixed in time for the party. Thankfully the luthier did a great job, and it's barely noticeable now:
IMG_0679.jpg

Last edited:

afireinside

Reaction score
Unbelievable. I don’t follow vintage pricing, when was that and are they much cheaper now?
like 2008ish? is when i found out. So the theft was 2004/5? Then i asked a year ago about a amp and he said he donated it months before i asked........ So for shits and giggles I asked what it was he remembered what it was and was a small 60s fender....... so a champ? or Princenton either id love!

matt_e_hyde

Reaction score
Lets here about the worst les paul experience you've had! Whether it be a bad trade/sale/break.

Bring on the horror stories!

Any excuse to share it

Latest Threads