Most horrific les paul story!

standard man

Reaction score
Not a LP, but an SG.

I was telling my dad about how my wall hanger was coming a little bit loose and he said "Dont worry about it, itll hold fine." Since hes been a construction worker for over 40 years, and hes my dad, I obviously trust him with this.

I go to bed about 2 hours later and am laying there watching The Tonight Show, and all I hear is CRASH! I automatically think my prized Gibson SG (my first Gibby) is done for. I jumped up and ran into my office only to find a black Gibson SG Special laying on its face and a lot of drywall everywhere and a wall hanger laying next to it!

Luckily the neck wasnt damaged (it was about a 5 foot fall and it hit 2 guitars on the way down too) and all we had to do was just put the wall hanger in (WITH ANCHORS THAT WE DIDNT PUT IN!)

How that guitar came out unharmed is beyond me, but man am I thanking my lucky stars its ok!

E55eT

Reaction score
I got in to the local music-store for the third time seeing this strange looking, kinda raw Gibson LP. Equipped with an coverd mic and an open mic, no trussrodcover, no covers on the back of the guitar and mixed black/cream plastic.

Then I noticed the classic diamond inlay on the headstock, block inlays and ebony fretboard.:shock:

I thought, this is a custom! I want it, and called for someone to tell me more. This is a cool guitar the guy said, you can swop between pickups on the fly if you want and pulled out two additional pickup blocks in mahogny from under the counter.

This guitar is from a workshop some 10 years ago and Gibson just now told us that it was ok to sell it.

I asked for the price.... well, will you give us 10000 SEK ($1300)

I responded :lol::fingersx::naughty::thumb::dude:

That must be the most horrible story you've heard? EDIT: If youre a music shop owner ;)

SkyNet3D

Reaction score
I got in to the local music-store for the third time seeing this strange looking, kinda raw Gibson LP. Equipped with an coverd mic and an open mic, no trussrodcover, no covers on the back of the guitar and mixed black/cream plastic.

Then I noticed the classic diamond inlay on the headstock, block inlays and ebony fretboard.:shock:

I thought, this is a custom! I want it, and called for someone to tell me more. This is a cool guitar the guy said, you can swop between pickups on the fly if you want and pulled out two additional pickup blocks in mahogny from under the counter.

This guitar is from a workshop some 10 years ago and Gibson just now told us that it was ok to sell it.

I asked for the price.... well, will you give us 10000 SEK ($1300)

I responded :lol::fingersx::naughty::thumb::dude:

That must be the most horrible story you've heard?

No, i actually like that. I'd like to have that guitar.

GuitarDad04

Reaction score
I know its been 2 years, but I'm digging up one of my old threads. People have to have some great stories in the 2 years that past!

Lets hear em'!

candletears7

Reaction score
I've heard from a couple sources here in Melbourne about a well known, now closed shop, that about a dozen USA Les Paul's were on hangers behind the glass top front counter.
All hangers mounted to a length of timber that separated from the wall. Every single guitar went through the glass counter and all sustained broken necks, cracked behind the nut. All went in for repair and were sold as shop seconds.
I worked at this shop for a day when I was in my early 20's. Suffice to say, I think the owner had something like this coming, a very aggressive and unreasonable man.

SJJMcGhee

Reaction score
My dad's friend payed £5000+ for a gibson l-5 i think, and got it from guitar guitar. he took it home, opened the case, and the headstock snapped right off. he'd had it specially ordered in, and hadn't even touched, barely even looked at it, and then the head snapped clean off. then he had to wait about 2 months for another one to come over from the USA. not a les paul, but pretty nasty.

Webtroll

Reaction score
So I'm buying a bass cab offa this guy and I bring up that I like Les Pauls, and he says he has one and offers to show it to me. He brings out this early deluxe, but accidentally drops it right in front of me and it lands on the headstock. When he first picks it up I'm thinking he dodged a bullet, but it had a crack from the headstock to halfway down the neck diagonally through the neck wood (mahogany if I remember right). He'd kinda ticked because he wanted it as an investment. I tried to tell him that since someone reshaped the headstock and removed the veneer and binding, and stripped all of the original finish, that it was going to b e a player at best unless he put enough money into fixing it up by a pro to kill much of any profit he could have hoped to see. Personally I'd have fixed the crack, replaced the binding, and played the hell out of it.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
A friend of mine called me one day saying he had talked to this guy who had a Les Paul Custom to sell for $550.00! I said "How is it possible? Does he know the value?" He said the guy said his friend sold it to him many years ago for $750.00 and since he had it for many years he thought $550 was fair, also wanted to sell it to someone who would appreciate the instrument". I thought if the first owner bought it for $1200.00, had it for 15 years, sold it to his friend for $750.00, it could make sense. I asked my friend to ask the guy if it's written Gibson on the headstock (!), just to make sure we're not dealing with a copy. He said yes, it's Gibson and Les Paul Custom. All right. No time to waste! I live out of town. I drove 50 km in a snow storm to pickup my friend. Drove another 50 km to get to the guy's house. We had to search for the house like crazy, it was out somewhere near nowhere! Finally we get there. The guy gets the guitar, the case is not original but nice and luxurious. The guy opens the case, I see shiny black, three gold pickups, and a headstock that says; Epiphone, with a truss rod cover that says Gibson!!! Talk about anti-climax! We told the guy he had a nice guitar but not what we were hoping for! He still wasn't getting it! I laughed so hard back in the truck, I couldn't stop. The snow had stopped by then but still, the whole scene could have made a movie! My friend treated me to a nice restaurant to thank me for my trouble... I sent him a pic of an Epi headstock by email the next day!

tampa898

Reaction score
I sold this 1974 Tobacco burst Standard four times.

1. Sold on ebay to a guy who never paid.
2. Relisted on ebay. Someone from Argentina ignored the "USA only" instructions. They out-bid someone who had a pretty good limit and then didn't want to pony up for the shipping.
3. Sold it to a member here. UPS cracked the neck. I took it back and had it repaired.
4. Loaned it to a friend who was in the market for a Les Paul. He likes it and said he'd give me the money for it in October. Haven't heard from him, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
I'd quit.

Mr. Satchmo

Reaction score
I was at a gig one night, and minutes before so @$$hole who was working at the venue decided it was a good Idea to throw a huge orange gatorade cooler at another worker and it landed right on my two month old gibson les paul studio, the guitar fell off the stand and cracked the neck in half. I was so pissed off and sad, i seriously cried!!! Luckily they ended up replacing it with this one

:applause:

JustinP320

Reaction score
Sold a mint condition '59 lp custom black beauty for 3k

then bought a fake chinese lp custom for 2.5k

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
Because there was so much crap around at the time, I spent two years driving all over the South of England every weekend looking for my 'perfect' Les Paul.
In the end I found it.
The intonation wasn't great but I could see that could be corrected.

My fault;
I took her to a guitar shop that I'd used a few times, to have the intonation corrected "properly".
I did not take it to a proper luthier, just a guy in a (albeit experienced) dealer who called himself a luthier and I did not check him out properly.
I also knew of a better dealer but they were more expensive and, having just bought my first Gibson I couldn't afford their fee.

Anyway, I pick up my brand new baby from this little *&^%$£-wit a few days later.
The intonation is further out than when I gave it to him and he's sodded up the action along with it.
The strings are the wrong gauge and not what I'd requested.

But worse.., much.., much.., worse...:-
All down the back of the neck, the top of the body, and the rear of the body.., was bare, naked, wood.
Don't get me wrong.
I like to see grain.
I just prefer it sealed with the rest of the instrument.
This idiot had dribbled som sort of chemical down it (accidentally, or otherwise - frankly I'm not sure) while it was in a vertical stand.
It had completely removed the finish wherever it had touched.

I tried to stay calm and discuss reparations with him rationally.
This merely seemed to make him believe that, when he suggested it was MY fault and that that was how I had given it to him, I would accept his explanation.

I did not and from then on the other customers heard about it, and customers from other shops heard about it too.
I cannot go into exactly what happened next for (potential) legal reasons.
Further damage seemed to occur, I did not see anything.

Fortunately I was telling one of our roadies about this at our next gig and he came up with a solution.
A friend of his had just started up a guitar making company "Palm Bay Guitars".
He told him the tale and asked if he could do anything to help and the guy told me to take it along to him.
I did.
He looked at it for a second and called over one of the luthiers working there (ex "Patrick Eggle Guitars"), he took me through to his workshop and surprised me with what he did.
He 'polished' the damage out;
Held it up to a buffer (like you see the guys on the Production line doing when they polish them up) and folded the remaining finish around the damage over the damaged areas.
It was brilliant, not only to watch, but also seeing the end result.
I know where the damage was, but I still can't see it now.
I offered to pay him for it but he wouldn't take a thing.

Two more set-ups with the guys I should have taken it to in the first place and it's now a perfect instrument.
Sadly, I can't play it properly any more but I always enjoy my bud's picking it up and enjoying it's feel, tone and sound and their surprise at just how good it is.
I will probably buy and use more LP's in my life, but I will never get rid of (or stop loving) this one.

Sad story ends good.
:D

Latest Threads