Most horrific les paul story!

GuitarDad04

Reaction score
Lets here about the worst les paul experience you've had! Whether it be a bad trade/sale/break.

Bring on the horror stories!

onvacation

Reaction score
A black 1978 (If I remember correctly) Deluxe. It was sold during the hair days so I made the mistake of adding a Kahler bridge and routing out the bridge p/u and placing a Bartolini p/u in the guitar.

Even with the questionable modifications, I still loved the neck on that guitar, the weight of it, the look. Plus, I was 17 when I bought it and it was MY money that I had saved to buy it.

Wish I could find that neck again.

ehamady6

Reaction score
2003 Gibson Zakk Wylde (see avatar). The neck was twisting pretty bad. Despite the efforts of talented luthiers, I traded it in while it was still playable. My only regret was losing Zakk's autograph on the back of the headstock. The circimstances turned out to be a blessing as I was able to trade it straight up for a 2008 ebony Custom - my dream guitar and #1.

RNP

Reaction score
Back in 1985 I picked up my second Les Paul. This was an early '70s sunburst custom. During a period of low funds I traded it for a Kahler equipped Strat copy and $200 . .. and then later that week I got a full time job and a raise.

Nevin1985

Reaction score
It didn't happen to me, but I witnessed it. I was in the local mom and pop guitar shop and a couple walk in the door. They explain to the salesman that they want to surprise their son with his dream guitar, a Gibson Les Paul!

The salesman goes to grab a guitar off the wall... I think it was a Les Paul Traditional Pro...

He pulls it off the wall.... and then time slows down. The guitar slips from his hands.... it begins to fall and he hurriedly fumbles to grab the guitar but fails miserable and propels the guitar further away from him into a small amp display on the floor. The guitar lands on a small vox amp, bounces off and lands face down on the floor.

Awkward silence fell upon the crowd. I laughed.

Hichisky

Reaction score
It was with stupid guitar center. I bought a Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro. I noticed that all the higher frets were sharp and that adjusting intonation on the bridge would not fix it, (neck relief and action seemed correct). I took the guitar back and waited for them to order in another one (from another GC, not Gibson), took it home. After playing for a while I decided to adjust the intonation on this one a bit too as it was not on either. I come to find it's impossible to correct with the bridge saddles, just as the one before. The frets seemed to dip possibly to steep from the 12th fret on to the 22nd causing the distance between the strings and the frets to grow too rapidly. This would make sense for sharp notes due to the larger stretch of the sting needed to make contact with the fret. But it could have been this, the neck angle, the nut, or who knows. What ever it was, it wasn't in the list of a common set up, and I wasn't going to pay for a heavy setup/repair after spending 2k on the guitar in the first place. (it was supposedly new)

Anyway, I took that one back also and I'm currently Gibsonless... Just got my Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Korean made). It's a good guitar, and intonation on it is nearly "perfect". Only real problems I have with it is a tad bit of fret buzz (though I like low action) and the pots. I changed the pickups out.

But my horrific story doesn't stop with Gibson, it also goes with US PRS for me in the past year. I could write a book on my problems with US made guitars.

Id hope it's strictly the dealers I have bought from (E.g Guitar center/Sam ash) that are junk and not the guitars. But They're the only places I can buy from around here where I can actually play the guitar first.

In this life time, it seems your better off to build your own guitar, because it seems no one really cares what shape or what happens to the guitar; whether it be the maker or the dealer. It's all bout money.

dbwalker

Reaction score
I have the all time worst Les Paul story of stories!
a guy I used to be in a band with owns a 59 black beauty, his parents bought it for him in 1975 for his 16th b-day (he was born in 59), sometime a couple years later he decided that he wanted to be able to turn on his flanger & another effect pedal at will with out having to be on his side of the stage (like the nightclub & high school stage were that big) does anyone see where this is going yet? YES HE DID IT! he routed out over half of the back of the guitar to install his pedals in it. many friends including myself have been giving him shit for over 30 years now for it.
so does that take the cake?

dkuther

Reaction score
I bought a light LP once and later found out it was ch-chambered!! :shock:
I thought we were supposed to tell the WORST thing that ever happened, not the best blessing in disguise :)

chequepoint

Reaction score
Adjust your expectations, it's no longer the manufacturers job to set the guitar up to your liking, thats what your personal tech is for. I have new guitars shipped directly to my tech at this point. My question for you is after spending 2K on a guitar, why wouldn't you spend a bit more to make it perfect? I could see not being willing to put 300 bucks into a 300 dollar guitar, but it's like you bought a high end car and don't want to pay for premium gas.

It was with stupid guitar center. I bought a Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro. I noticed that all the higher frets were sharp and that adjusting intonation on the bridge would not fix it, (neck relief and action seemed correct). I took the guitar back and waited for them to order in another one (from another GC, not Gibson), took it home. After playing for a while I decided to adjust the intonation on this one a bit too as it was not on either. I come to find it's impossible to correct with the bridge saddles, just as the one before. The frets seemed to dip possibly to steep from the 12th fret on to the 22nd causing the distance between the strings and the frets to grow too rapidly. This would make sense for sharp notes due to the larger stretch of the sting needed to make contact with the fret. But it could have been this, the neck angle, the nut, or who knows. What ever it was, it wasn't in the list of a common set up, and I wasn't going to pay for a heavy setup/repair after spending 2k on the guitar in the first place. (it was supposedly new)

Anyway, I took that one back also and I'm currently Gibsonless... Just got my Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Korean made). It's a good guitar, and intonation on it is nearly "perfect". Only real problems I have with it is a tad bit of fret buzz (though I like low action) and the pots. I changed the pickups out.

But my horrific story doesn't stop with Gibson, it also goes with US PRS for me in the past year. I could write a book on my problems with US made guitars.

Id hope it's strictly the dealers I have bought from (E.g Guitar center/Sam ash) that are junk and not the guitars. But They're the only places I can buy from around here where I can actually play the guitar first.

In this life time, it seems your better off to build your own guitar, because it seems no one really cares what shape or what happens to the guitar; whether it be the maker or the dealer. It's all bout money.

rcole_sooner

Reaction score
My first (not borrowed from my step dad) guitar was a the Paul, that my girl friend (now wife) got me, for my birthday. I traded it for a Jackson in the earliy '90s. The Jackson was/is great, but never trade or sell your first guitar. I really wish I had that thing back.
:(

elcajon64

Reaction score
I sold this 1974 Tobacco burst Standard four times.

1. Sold on ebay to a guy who never paid.
2. Relisted on ebay. Someone from Argentina ignored the "USA only" instructions. They out-bid someone who had a pretty good limit and then didn't want to pony up for the shipping.
3. Sold it to a member here. UPS cracked the neck. I took it back and had it repaired.
4. Loaned it to a friend who was in the market for a Les Paul. He likes it and said he'd give me the money for it in October. Haven't heard from him, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

LPCplayer

Reaction score
Nothing -- I mean NOTHING -- beats this one:

A classic pic... Someone decided he wanted a left handed guitar but none were readily available so he takes a real late 50's Sunburst and routes it out as a lefty...

dbwalker

Reaction score
Nothing -- I mean NOTHING -- beats this one:

A classic pic... Someone decided he wanted a left handed guitar but none were readily available so he takes a real late 50's Sunburst and routes it out as a lefty...
I feel sick, I think that's got my routed 59 black beauty story beat

yongling

Reaction score
My first (not borrowed from my step dad) guitar was a the Paul, that my girl friend (now wife) got me, for my birthday. I traded it for a Jackson in the earliy '90s. The Jackson was/is great, but never trade or sell your first guitar. I really wish I had that thing back.
:(
did your wife give you shit for trading a gift from her? i know mine would.

rcole_sooner

Reaction score
did your wife give you shit for trading a gift from her? i know mine would.
No, not that I remember. She was with me, when we traded it in towards the Jackson and Marshall.

She talks about selling her early 70s SG, but I tell her I already made my mistake, let's not make another. Her SG really needs to be refretted, but it is dead stock, and I'd hate to have someone mess it up.

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
I sold this 1974 Tobacco burst Standard four times.

1. Sold on ebay to a guy who never paid.
2. Relisted on ebay. Someone from Argentina ignored the "USA only" instructions. They out-bid someone who had a pretty good limit and then didn't want to pony up for the shipping.
3. Sold it to a member here. UPS cracked the neck. I took it back and had it repaired.
4. Loaned it to a friend who was in the market for a Les Paul. He likes it and said he'd give me the money for it in October. Haven't heard from him, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
That's a nice guitar and it seems fate wants you to have it ... don't sell it, man, it's a beauty!

Latest Threads