Most Desirable Runs of Historic R9 Les Pauls

uburoibob

Reaction score
I went through about a dozen historic LPs - R9s and R8s. I don't have any, anymore. All were good, but the aged Bloomfield REALLY stood out as the best of the bunch and far closer to the real bursts I've played. Just an amazing guitar.

GLENDON

Reaction score
I believe that the 2012 will be the least collected if they laminated the rosewood fretboards like they said they did.

DanD

Reaction score
It was a big deal for a while in 2012. 2013 saw so many improvements that I think now most aren't concerned about the layered fret boards. Plenty of people love their '12s.

What I see now is a price separation/ line between 2013 and up Rs vs 2012 and back.

Most of the older Rs seem to sell [I'm only referencing 'sold' guitars not the asking price] for ~$500 to $1000 less than their newer '13 and up equivalents.

Not referring to Pearlys or Greeny's either. Just a run of the mill GT R7s or similar topped R8s and R9s.

You can easily find a '99 to '12 R7 for under $2500. A '13 and up will be much closer to or over 3k.

I've owned Rs from pre-historics on up. My gut feeling is that the '12 to '13 divide will remain for many years.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I own a 2012 R9 that’s under 8 lbs and got it for cheap.... best Historic deal I ever made. Awesome guitar and a keeper.
CDCE7C9E-008D-4073-B8F2-7F015B08B7BC.jpeg

I got it with the thought of doing an Historic Make Over project, but decided to keep it as is cuz it was perfect.

The bilayered fretboard spec may have affected its value but it was to my advantage. It’s a keeper and I practically stole it.... I didn’t lose nothing.

The every day R9 will never be an investment, only the sought after models with association with famous players that were produced in limited numbers....

Last edited:

PauloQS

Reaction score
I own a 2012 R9 that’s under 8 lbs and got it for cheap.... best Historic deal I ever made. Awesome guitar and a keeper.
View attachment 386833

I got it with the thought of doing an Historic Make Over project, but decided to keep it as is cuz it was perfect.

The bilayered fretboard spec may have affected its value but it was to my advantage. It’s a keeper and I practically stole it.... I didn’t lose nothing.

The every day R9 will never be an investment, only the sought after models with association with famous players that were produced in limited numbers....
I’m a simple man, I see a bourbon burst, or a desert burst, or any bourbon burst variation, I give it a like once I can get the drooling under control. That is a thing of beauty and to be that lightweight, it has to be super comfortable.

jktxs

Reaction score
Quilt top historics aren't vintage crowd favourites but they seem to sell quite quickly in the used market, and at not as big of a hit as regular plain / flametop historics. Must be the rarity relative to demand.
They're much easier to find monster tops on too - some of the newer ones dwarf the '90s big tops.

My Les Paul Classifieds