Most Desirable Runs of Historic R9 Les Pauls

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
SO what I gather from this thread.....(and a like to everyone) is that we are more interested in top wood and color to a very large extent, and that incudes rarity....not just because Gibson made an association with a famous/iconic artist, but because THEY said it was.....OK I'm guilty has hell....

For me its about the whole package, but I'm more inclined to a non symmetrical organic piece of wood that ties into the natural harmonics of the "zen" of the sunburst......

Ooooo…. Album name....The Zen of the Sunburst I gotta remember that one...

Anyway its all about the woods very nature of being wood...and its own rarity onto its self when displayed as a top on a guitar...there really IS only one of those....like a fingerprint. They can be typed and categorized....but there is only one....

As far as the Brazilian Rosewood as a fingerboard....only its beauty in texture and color can "authorize" that much love. because I have had some beautiful Madi and Indian boards.....(Two Indian RW boards I almost went to destructive testing but stopped short, just to know for sure) ….and both were 2014 models....

In cases anyone is curious the plan was to lift an inlay and partially drill out a small plug....But I guess I'm not that crazy....

So this is an attachment to "fantasized association" ....thats what I'll call it.... is the real culprit to our expensive hobby...

BTW I have a 2003 BRW R9 arriving today....well it will be today after I finish this post....

I came to these "epihanies" while playing with my band....I would bring over one of the Les Pauls and wave it about saying to the fells ...hey this is a 2014 R8 MTM with a faded yellow green lemon burst, it has ...bla bla bla….and I get this confused dumb look from them, as if I just farted in a mic....!

….its not their fault they don't have a clue ...(even though they have been playing guitar for 40 + years) and I'm like HOW could you guys NOT be AWARE of these GEMS that cost thousands .....( I think I converted Bill to a new Gibson but not quite a Custom Shop) in fact he just bought a brand new 2019 Classic, and I think he is quite happy with it.... we will see what the next year brings.

Anyway, I said hey you guys ...I'm getting a 03 R9 with BRW .....and an hour later Tony says...""you binging that guitar over that's made in Brazil? …. :facepalm:

We obviously are in love with our choice (s) ....
not to mention the fact that a Les Paul is the expression/metaphor of the female figure....and she is dead sexy with the nude belly carve, and the peekaboo areola and nipple.....

Nicely curvatious in the right places ....o_O

(there needs to be a sex emoji or something)

I need to go to sleep.....

GearHo

Reaction score
Oh my Gawd someone is going on a honeymoon.....Have fun Vic. Remember you show me a beautiful girl, and I will show you someone who is sick of banging her.

We all know that every guitar ends up in the graveyard known as the classifieds.

So far I have come to realize that no matter how pretty the top or how good a guitar sounds, it has a shelf life.

That's what makes my Rossington so rare to me, I sell everything within 2-3 years max.

Enjoy your new girlfriend Vic, lets see some pics :)

jktxs

Reaction score
I spent 2 years searching for a mint CC#1 and found it last fall. Most of the collectible/desirable ones have already been mentioned. Cc1 aged or not is my personal favorite and a keeper
Nice!
Ironically the serial # and COA matter more for such limited runs, while the same kind of guitar is not too rare per se as Gibson continue to make unofficial sigs every few years or so, with the newer spec changes.

Greeny spec 60th R9, out of phase neck BB3, Sperzel tuners and all.

Burty459

Reaction score
Why, are '08 R9s that uncommon? I had no idea! I knew I must be holding onto mine for some reason!

(click on photo for a larger view)

Frank
I don’t think they are necessarily uncommon, I just haven’t seen that many in here. I’m sure they are out there just as much as any other year but I generally don’t see them. I always like it when they turn up so I can compare tops and see how a like they are.

guitarded_82

Reaction score
I don’t think they are necessarily uncommon, I just haven’t seen that many in here. I’m sure they are out there just as much as any other year but I generally don’t see them. I always like it when they turn up so I can compare tops and see how a like they are.
Maybe the recession?

Burty459

Reaction score
Maybe the recession?
You know, that’s a really good point, I don’t how valid it is towards guitars in the sense that Gibson will still have made historics that year and people will still have bought them, and the numbers made and sold should equate; unless all the 2008’s are all still sat getting dusty on display. I suppose in one way, maybe 2008’s are just not that common amongst the members on here. Reading in to that, there is the arguments for it was a bad wood year so no member will associate, the specs were off, they were a transition year between old dyes and new formula’s, but in all I just haven’t seen that many. There is one very well regarded post with the specs of historics from the mid 90’s through to 2007, then the next mentioned year is 2009?! What happened to 2008? I’ve heard, and read, that 2008 was a great year regarding the neck angle, and when looking at some early 2000’s standard I’ve had the “flat angle” of my 2008 R9 is sublime, for me it’s bang on. I don’t feel as though I’m pulling the neck back towards me, it feels very natural.
I really don’t think there’s a negative connotation, but I just don’t see or hear about them too much, hopefully in a good way!

buckwild

Reaction score
You know, that’s a really good point, I don’t how valid it is towards guitars in the sense that Gibson will still have made historics that year and people will still have bought them, and the numbers made and sold should equate; unless all the 2008’s are all still sat getting dusty on display. I suppose in one way, maybe 2008’s are just not that common amongst the members on here. Reading in to that, there is the arguments for it was a bad wood year so no member will associate, the specs were off, they were a transition year between old dyes and new formula’s, but in all I just haven’t seen that many. There is one very well regarded post with the specs of historics from the mid 90’s through to 2007, then the next mentioned year is 2009?! What happened to 2008? I’ve heard, and read, that 2008 was a great year regarding the neck angle, and when looking at some early 2000’s standard I’ve had the “flat angle” of my 2008 R9 is sublime, for me it’s bang on. I don’t feel as though I’m pulling the neck back towards me, it feels very natural.
I really don’t think there’s a negative connotation, but I just don’t see or hear about them too much, hopefully in a good way!
I don’t think you hear much about 2008 because 2007 was the banner year, the maple tops were really nice, lots of strong eastern maple. Also in 2007 the guitars had a very dense South African mahogany and while they were all a bit heavier all the ones I owned were rocking guitars. In 2008 I don’t think they changed much in terms of most specs...they didn’t have the South African mahogany though. A lot of folks waited cause in 2009 it was the big 50th anniversary.

guitarded_82

Reaction score
I don’t think you hear much about 2008 because 2007 was the banner year, the maple tops were really nice, lots of strong eastern maple. Also in 2007 the guitars had a very dense South African mahogany and while they were all a bit heavier all the ones I owned were rocking guitars. In 2008 I don’t think they changed much in terms of most specs...they didn’t have the South African mahogany though. A lot of folks waited cause in 2009 it was the big 50th anniversary.
That's a good point too. Past and future expectations are a major factor in consumer choice.

I have a feeling that whatever happened in the early 2000's happened again 2015ish-2018. Re-purposed s/n's, to me, is a sign they made too many of the expensive models. Early 2000's are really nice, but it's a shitshow too.

Billyz

Reaction score
My 2007 r9 is the lightest r9 i have played. 8lbs 2oz. I played dozens of r9’s before buying this one . I did replace the pots and caps with a vintage set of centralab pots and vintage caps. Also, put a 1960 paf in the neck and a 68’ ttop in the bridge.
Pigtail stop tail. Rolled the edges of the fingerboard to feel more like an old gibson. Reversed the magnet in one of the pickups.
What can i say , i like this one.

Duane_the_tub

Reaction score
My 2007 r9 is the lightest r9 i have played. 8lbs 2oz. I played dozens of r9’s before buying this one . I did replace the pots and caps with a vintage set of centralab pots and vintage caps. Also, put a 1960 paf in the neck and a 68’ ttop in the bridge.
Pigtail stop tail. Rolled the edges of the fingerboard to feel more like an old gibson. Reversed the magnet in one of the pickups.
What can i say , i like this one.
That sounds wicked! I have a 2010 R9 that weighs 7 lbs. 13 oz. It's the best one I've ever played and will be my forever guitar for sure. There's just something about how the lighter (but still solid bodied) ones sound!

PauloQS

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of Page's #1, but personally I'd chose Page's #2 over his #1. As for "regular" production ones, I love the new 2019 60th anniversary and the ones I played from 2016 and 2017 were outstanding. I've heard that the late 2013 ones were awesome.