Most Desirable Runs of Historic R9 Les Pauls

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Here you go, an old pic from the original owner that I bought this Guitar from.

From memory Gibson made 40 - 42 2001 BRW R9's of which 38 were aged by Tom Murphy & are verified by Gibson.

The non aged ones were, for some reason, not verified but two that I know of certainly had BRW Boards. @pinefd owned one of them & a guy I knew on the East Coast

These were made for the top line dealers at that time; e.g. Garrett Park Guitars & Music Machine etc.

@JimmyAce2006 has the sister to mine, I think they were 1 Serial No. apart and more than likely had their Maple Tops cut form the same billet stash / Tree. John would still have pics of his & will hopefully post some pics here.

I can post more pics of this one later.

:cheers2:

Mine was okay. By far not the best top from the run. I believe if you count them up from Gibson's posted serial numbers there were 38. A handful were glossy. So there were about 33 that were aged. A friend of mine used to own two of the best ones. His two former guitars are here:

Attachments

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I’m no collector so my opinion doesn’t hold much merit but I think the most desired Historics are the mega top guitars like Buckwild’s and Frank’s. Prices aside I would take those over a CC or a Braz just because of the looks of them.
Greeny VOS

Page #1

MM Braz Stinger (that case!)

View attachment 381767

'99 Vintage World Murphy (Mike Slub's, one of my all-time favorite reissues)
That is my old guitar and my photo......sold that guitar years ago.

Leotis

Reaction score
What about some of the small runs of 25 or so that were commissioned by Vic DaPra? I have one of the "Shadows of '59" runs he did in 2013.

20151203_095906-1_resized.jpg

Sof59_2.jpg

Last edited:

guitarded_82

Reaction score
Here you go, an old pic from the original owner that I bought this Guitar from.

From memory Gibson made 40 - 42 2001 BRW R9's of which 38 were aged by Tom Murphy & are verified by Gibson.

The non aged ones were, for some reason, not verified but two that I know of certainly had BRW Boards. @pinefd owned one of them & a guy I knew on the East Coast

These were made for the top line dealers at that time; e.g. Garrett Park Guitars & Music Machine etc.

@JimmyAce2006 has the sister to mine, I think they were 1 Serial No. apart and more than likely had their Maple Tops cut form the same billet stash / Tree. John would still have pics of his & will hopefully post some pics here.

I can post more pics of this one later.

:cheers2:
Beautiful!

My s/n is 9 183X. Later in the run. I have a theory that they used leftover tops from the Joe Perry model they discontinued. They used them on the original Boneyard, which is a few s/n off of mine in 2001, but I'm not sure a prototype would run s/n with production. The figure looks like it's from the same tree.

I think there are a few BRW Reissues that were sold without certificates, especially 2001, and they just told the dealer,this was just before online sales too. I got mine at GC in 2005, but they told me it was originally from Dave's,it was traded for a 2003 because the owner was a collector and wanted 'official' BRW docs.

Not sure what that all means. However the biggest clue, is my dog can tell that guitar apart from others on the bed.

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I know that some of you are aware of this, but within the run of '03 Braz guitars, there were around twelve that were Murphy aged, which makes them quite rare. And of all the Music Machine stingers that were produced with Braz, only one was aged by Murphy.

Here's a pic showing one of those twelve Murphy aged '03 Braz guitars (on the right), along with the only Murphy MM stinger guitar. Note that the tops were likely both cut from the same board:

Here are better pics of tops of those two guitars:

Frank

Metal Guru

Reaction score
Well, I consider myself a "player" only from the standpoint that I do play out....not that I'm any good. LOL. I can most definitely say that I have owned probably 75% of the aforementioned guitars at one time or another, and gigged them all. IMHO, there is nothing that crazy different about ANY of them. Definitely some subtle differences when you factor in pickups and feel, but other than that, they are wood and strings.

I've owned multiple of many of the artist and CC runs. I can say that the Shanks was probably the most "vintage" sounding, consistent run I've ever played. Sandy also had a unique sound. In the end, my 2011 is and probably always will be my #1 Les Paul. If I were playing straight up mellow blues, it would go to Shanks.

I've told this story several times on the forum, but it applies again here. My buddy owned an Epiphone Blue "Bonamassa". Beautiful guitar, really. He brought it up to a gig because he wanted to hear it in a live, band setting. I told him I'd use it for a song or two. I actually used it for one full set. I promise you, nobody in that bar noticed I wasn't playing a CC, or any other Reissue. Now, I'll say that "I" did. There was a feel/playability difference, and even a little tone difference, but, among the bass, drum, and vocal mix........splitting hairs man. I wasn't tempted to go rush out and buy an Epi, but I'll freely admit, it was a bit of an eye opener. Certainly not a miserable experience to play that guitar.

Every guitar, many times even within a particular run, is unique in itself. Have 2 or 3 grand, and you want a difference that is VERY discernible? Put it into an amp, not the guitar. Stick a gun to my head and tell me I can have my R9 and a Fender Mustang amp, or my Friedman and my buddies Bonamassa Epi.....I'll take the latter every time.
Totally agree.
A local dealer had a Beano for sale a while back. It was the worst LP I ever had my hands on.
Every guitar has to stand on its own merits, IMHO.

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
I’m surprised no one mentions the small runs of Brazilian R0s. I personally LOVE a good ‘60 neck, so I’ve always been a big fan - very underrated IMO. They might not have the crazy tops that some of those R9s have, but in terms of rarity, they are much harder to come by. They only made 150 in 2003 and a handful in 2018.

I managed to pick up a Wildwood Spec Murphy Painted & Aged Brazilian R0 last year and it is by far the best Les Paul I have ever owned or played. As far as I know, there were only 6 made, ever. There were maybe 25 or so non-aged versions made if I remember correctly, and I think those Wildwood runs were the *only* Brazilian R0s made since 2003.

jlb32

Reaction score
My favorite of the LP runs so far has to be the Beast and the Skinnerburst. I own a Skinnerburst and love it. It pretty much cured my GAS and I haven't bought another LP since.

Passed on a few Beasts back when they came out and kick myself now. Still hope to own one in the future.

decoy205

Reaction score
I don’t think I saw the Rossingtons mentioned yet. Those were hugely popular and go for a decent amount used.

demillso

Reaction score
Totally agree.
A local dealer had a Beano for sale a while back. It was the worst LP I ever had my hands on.
Every guitar has to stand on its own merits, IMHO.
Same story. My local store got a Pearly when they came out and I probably could have gotten it for a decent price. It was hands down the worst LP I have ever touched. The neck angle was wrong and with any sort of reasonable action, the strings were hitting the bridge pickup ring.

As for the other runs mentioned, I think there is a huge difference between rare and desirable. Yes there were some very limited runs of certain guitars but is anyone really out searching for them? Whereas I think things like CC1 and the Pages people are always looking for them.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
I picked up this 2001 R8 recently, and it is probably the best top I've ever owned. There were some nice tops in the early years of the historics. I'm not saying "good wood", but percentage wise, I think a higher percentage of nice tops vs. guitars produced for sure.

2001 r8.jpg
2001 r82.png
2001 r83.png