Most Desirable Runs of Historic R9 Les Pauls

JMB1984

Premium Member
Reaction score
I would throw the 17-18 Brazilians in there just as much as the 19s. The 03 Brazilians have been very desirable over the years. Since the newer ones also benefit from all the latest and greatest achievements in historical accuracy, they should at least be as desirable as the 03s in years to come (if not more).

DanD

Reaction score
The MM Stingers as mentioned and all the newer '17, '18, and '19 Braz runs.

guitarded_82

Reaction score
2001 Murphy Aged BRW R9 run, ~ 38 made / verified.

Plus what Jon said.

End of the day it has to be desirable to a group of buyers, for one reason or another. Not all the so called desirable runs are actually desirable.

:cheers2:
It would be interesting to know what happened in 2001.

Left Paw

Reaction score
I think the earliest models are most collectible, and always will be. Who here has a 1992 or 1993 R9 ? When have you seen one for sale on this board ? That’s exactly what I mean.

While rareness doesn’t make for the best guitar, among collectors it is an important consideration. Those earliest R9 models are the ones you want to put away for the future.

Duane_the_tub

Reaction score
I think the earliest models are most collectible, and always will be. Who here has a 1992 or 1993 R9 ? When have you seen one for sale on this board ? That’s exactly what I mean.

While rareness doesn’t make for the best guitar, among collectors it is an important consideration. Those earliest R9 models are the ones you want to put away for the future.
Yes and no. Les Paul aficionados are obsessed with specs, and those earliest runs were the least historically accurate.

Last edited:

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes and no. Les Paul aficionados are obsessed with specs, and those earliest runs were the most historically inaccurate.
While there is no arguing that specs are some people's hot button, not so for others, including a lot of collectors. If you offered me @buckwild 's new acquisition (Tangelina, I think is the nickname....an older 93 I believe?), or a more recent (2018 or 2019 Braz), I'd take the former any day of the week, and I think most collector's would too.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
WARNING: Highly subjective content ahead

The lovefest for the 60th Anniversary run of Historic R9s got me thinking about some previous runs that were widely regarded as special, significant or... well... historic. I am well aware of the whole "there are no good runs or years, just good instruments within them" philosophy - I am actually a firm believer in it - but regardless there are certain runs that players and collectors consider the most desirable. Many factors go into this: Collectibility, scarcity, features (Braz being the best example), tops, etc.

Here are the top examples that come to mind for me, roughly in order. Vintage Bursts should obviously be #1, but I'm talking about Historics.

Earliest CCs/Artist Models
Greeny
Page #1 (Custom Authentic 2004)
Pearly
Goldy

R9s
2019 60th Anniversary w/Braz (there seem to only be a handful of these in existence)
2003 w/Braz (and other years of Braz that may or may not exist)
1999 40th Anniversary Vintage World (best tops of any R9 run ever?)
1993 First-ever R9 run
2013 Murphyburst (/100)? I dunno much about Murphys, but a lot of people seem to value them

I know the Gold Book '09 50th Anniversary models price high on the used market, but overall the tops on those tend to be kind of ordinary compared to the 40th run 10 years earlier.

What do you consider the most desirable runs of historic Les Pauls?

(Photo of 1999 40th Anniversary R9 courtesy The Guitar Dude)

View attachment 381427
Thats gorgeous:applause: ive got a modern LP so I dont know but I want a traditional for the future so interesting stuff.

RAG7890

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to it.

I have an '01 R9, I'll try to post some pics.
Here you go, an old pic from the original owner that I bought this Guitar from.

From memory Gibson made 40 - 42 2001 BRW R9's of which 38 were aged by Tom Murphy & are verified by Gibson.

The non aged ones were, for some reason, not verified but two that I know of certainly had BRW Boards. @pinefd owned one of them & a guy I knew on the East Coast

These were made for the top line dealers at that time; e.g. Garrett Park Guitars & Music Machine etc.

@JimmyAce2006 has the sister to mine, I think they were 1 Serial No. apart and more than likely had their Maple Tops cut form the same billet stash / Tree. John would still have pics of his & will hopefully post some pics here.

I can post more pics of this one later.

:cheers2:

Zakmichael

Reaction score
I’m no collector so my opinion doesn’t hold much merit but I think the most desired Historics are the mega top guitars like Buckwild’s and Frank’s. Prices aside I would take those over a CC or a Braz just because of the looks of them.