Most Desirable Runs of Historic R9 Les Pauls

Duane_the_tub

Reaction score
WARNING: Highly subjective content ahead

The lovefest for the 60th Anniversary run of Historic R9s got me thinking about some previous runs that were widely regarded as special, significant or... well... historic. I am well aware of the whole "there are no good runs or years, just good instruments within them" philosophy - I am actually a firm believer in it - but regardless there are certain runs that players and collectors consider the most desirable. Many factors go into this: Collectibility, scarcity, features (Braz being the best example), tops, etc.

Here are the top examples that come to mind for me, roughly in order. Vintage Bursts should obviously be #1, but I'm talking about Historics.

Earliest CCs/Artist Models
Greeny
Page #1 (Custom Authentic 2004)
Pearly
Goldy

R9s
2019 60th Anniversary w/Braz (there seem to only be a handful of these in existence)
2003 w/Braz (and other years of Braz that may or may not exist)
1999 40th Anniversary Vintage World (best tops of any R9 run ever?)
1993 First-ever R9 run
2013 Murphyburst (/100)? I dunno much about Murphys, but a lot of people seem to value them

I know the Gold Book '09 50th Anniversary models price high on the used market, but overall the tops on those tend to be kind of ordinary compared to the 40th run 10 years earlier.

What do you consider the most desirable runs of historic Les Pauls?

(Photo of 1999 40th Anniversary R9 courtesy The Guitar Dude)

1999 R9.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Duane_the_tub

Reaction score
03 Braz models are fairly rare and sought after.
Yeah thanks, I meant to write '03 Braz and wrote '13 Braz instead. Corrected now.

I just saw a '17 with Braz on Reverb, with COA. I've given up on keeping track of how many R9 Braz runs there are.

guitarded_82

Reaction score
As far as scarcity, 2001 R9 was the smallest production run. 500US/500INTL made. Lots of unknown fretboards too.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Seriously though..............Pearly, Beano, and Page #1(signed) are the top picks for me........

I know Beano is not a R9.......... but it's still my pick.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Scarcity/rarity are the biggest things I think. Some of the older runs mentioned, Greeny, Pearly...to find them in mint condition would be a rare find. Gary Moore being gone now, the aged one's with his sig on the C.O.A., THAT probably adds some value.

Murphy bursts sell for less than original MAP.....WAAYYY less. The Rossy's are great guitars and it's rare to find the WHOLE package....wall stand, shirt, and all that came with it.

It's like anything else, the harder something is to find, the more people want it/will be willing to pay for it.

Duane_the_tub

Reaction score
Scarcity/rarity are the biggest things I think. Some of the older runs mentioned, Greeny, Pearly...to find them in mint condition would be a rare find. Gary Moore being gone now, the aged one's with his sig on the C.O.A., THAT probably adds some value.

Murphy bursts sell for less than original MAP.....WAAYYY less. The Rossy's are great guitars and it's rare to find the WHOLE package....wall stand, shirt, and all that came with it.

It's like anything else, the harder something is to find, the more people want it/will be willing to pay for it.
I completely agree, Jon. I'm also interested from a player's perspective, not just a collector's. Obviously the whole "play before you buy to find a special instrument" thing comes into play more, but as a player I have always wanted to get my hands on a Greeny or a Page #1 because they are reputed to be such amazing instruments.

I guess the idea of someone spending $10K+ on such a highly collectible guitar in order to actually play it is kind of nuts...

WhiteEpiLP

Reaction score
Yeah thanks, I meant to write '03 Braz and wrote '13 Braz instead. Corrected now.

I just saw a '17 with Braz on Reverb, with COA. I've given up on keeping track of how many R9 Braz runs there are.
:rofl:
I thought they didnt make any braz for 13 but I'm not "that" knowledgeable about reissues that I was gonna call you out on it.
And yeah just when you think they cant have anymore braz they pop out another run lately. Not like I can afford one anyways but the newer braz runs have made the 03 price a bit less.

jenton70

Premium Member
Reaction score
Whatever I'm trying to pump and dump at any given time. :)

Kidding aside I'd say the Music Machine Braz Stingers are pretty dope. Special case required. I think the most money I've seen paid would be a signed/aged Page #1.

Duane_the_tub

Reaction score
Whatever I'm trying to pump and dump at any given time. :)

Kidding aside I'd say the Music Machine Braz Stingers are pretty dope. Special case required. I think the most money I've seen paid would be a signed/aged Page #1.
Yeah, those MM Stingers were sweet. Tweed case with blue interior, right?

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
I completely agree, Jon. I'm also interested from a player's perspective, not just a collector's. Obviously the whole "play before you buy to find a special instrument" thing comes into play more, but as a player I have always wanted to get my hands on a Greeny or a Page #1 because they are reputed to be such amazing instruments.

I guess the idea of someone spending $10K+ on such a highly collectible guitar in order to actually play it is kind of nuts...
Well, I consider myself a "player" only from the standpoint that I do play out....not that I'm any good. LOL. I can most definitely say that I have owned probably 75% of the aforementioned guitars at one time or another, and gigged them all. IMHO, there is nothing that crazy different about ANY of them. Definitely some subtle differences when you factor in pickups and feel, but other than that, they are wood and strings.

I've owned multiple of many of the artist and CC runs. I can say that the Shanks was probably the most "vintage" sounding, consistent run I've ever played. Sandy also had a unique sound. In the end, my 2011 is and probably always will be my #1 Les Paul. If I were playing straight up mellow blues, it would go to Shanks.

I've told this story several times on the forum, but it applies again here. My buddy owned an Epiphone Blue "Bonamassa". Beautiful guitar, really. He brought it up to a gig because he wanted to hear it in a live, band setting. I told him I'd use it for a song or two. I actually used it for one full set. I promise you, nobody in that bar noticed I wasn't playing a CC, or any other Reissue. Now, I'll say that "I" did. There was a feel/playability difference, and even a little tone difference, but, among the bass, drum, and vocal mix........splitting hairs man. I wasn't tempted to go rush out and buy an Epi, but I'll freely admit, it was a bit of an eye opener. Certainly not a miserable experience to play that guitar.

Every guitar, many times even within a particular run, is unique in itself. Have 2 or 3 grand, and you want a difference that is VERY discernible? Put it into an amp, not the guitar. Stick a gun to my head and tell me I can have my R9 and a Fender Mustang amp, or my Friedman and my buddies Bonamassa Epi.....I'll take the latter every time.

RAG7890

Reaction score
2001 Murphy Aged BRW R9 run, ~ 38 made / verified.

Plus what Jon said.

End of the day it has to be desirable to a group of buyers, for one reason or another. Not all the so called desirable runs are actually desirable.

:cheers2:

Last edited:

J50315

Reaction score
I spent 2 years searching for a mint CC#1 and found it last fall. Most of the collectible/desirable ones have already been mentioned. Cc1 aged or not is my personal favorite and a keeper
801BD7A4-033F-4BC8-868D-773F4D351563.jpeg