Most beautiful guitar vs. best playing guitar you’ve ever had?

Davey Rock

Reaction score
I want you guys to tell me the most beautiful guitar you’ve ever seen, then tell me the best guitar you’ve ever played.
I was inspired to create this thread by a very kind gentleman. Seriously he’s a saint. In fact he’s probably the sweetest person I’ve ever interacted with. I truly felt touched by him. Thank you kind sir.

anyway, just include a picture of the most stunning guitar you’ve ever seen, then include a picture of the best playing guitar you’ve ever played.
Thanks,
-Davey

smk506

Reaction score
The most beautiful would probably be the cherry red firebird vii I got with my first job. That thing was gorgeous! Not a flaw in craftsmanship to be found.

Best playing is honestly a toss up, I’ve got about 6-7 actual players right now and various others in project form. I tend to buy what I like and adjust from there so most of my guitars play very similarly to one another.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
The most beautiful would probably be the cherry red firebird vii I got with my first job. That thing was gorgeous! Not a flaw in craftsmanship to be found.

Best playing is honestly a toss up, I’ve got about 6-7 actual players right now and various others in project form. I tend to buy what I like and adjust from there so most of my guitars play very similarly to one another.
Excellent. I’m about to get a first job at the school I graduated from a few months ago. Plan on using that job to handle my bills along with saving/buying gear and mainly guitars. I can’t wait to see what it feels like to buy my first guitar without help. It gets depressing sometimes knowing that the only reason I can still play is because my family is selfless enough to buy me strings. Makes me feel like a horrible person. Even though I’ve just now gotten the opportunity to have a job finally and I wasn’t able to before, I still feel bad about it. I plan on building a guitar for my grandad out of memory for my recently passed grandmother. They got me started on music. Grandad always used to joke about me being the biggest investment he ever made. I just hope I can still remember these things after many decades. Maybe I’ll be able to look back and say I had it good. Building one for him maybe my parents, my uncle, my great grandad etc. gonna start a small one off guitar brand of my own basically where I build guitars for really cheap depending on the materials. Take care man. Thanks for the reply!

smk506

Reaction score
Excellent. I’m about to get a first job at the school I graduated from a few months ago. Plan on using that job to handle my bills along with saving/buying gear and mainly guitars. I can’t wait to see what it feels like to buy my first guitar without help. It gets depressing sometimes knowing that the only reason I can still play is because my family is selfless enough to buy me strings. Makes me feel like a horrible person. Even though I’ve just now gotten the opportunity to have a job finally and I wasn’t able to before, I still feel bad about it. I plan on building a guitar for my grandad out of memory for my recently passed grandmother. They got me started on music. Grandad always used to joke about me being the biggest investment he ever made. I just hope I can still remember these things after many decades. Maybe I’ll be able to look back and say I had it good. Building one for him maybe my parents, my uncle, my great grandad etc. gonna start a small one off guitar brand of my own basically where I build guitars for really cheap depending on the materials. Take care man. Thanks for the reply!
Spending your own money on something you’ve worked for and lusted over is a great feeling.

Don’t feel bad about leaning on your family, I’m sure they don’t begrudge you a few bucks here and there for strings. Some people move away from home and turn into completely independent adults at 16-17, some people take longer, it’s not a contest and you don’t win shit either way.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Spending your own money on something you’ve worked for and lusted over is a great feeling.

Don’t feel bad about leaning on your family, I’m sure they don’t begrudge you a few bucks here and there for strings. Some people move away from home and turn into completely independent adults at 16-17, some people take longer, it’s not a contest and you don’t win shit either way.
Thanks man. I appreciate those words seriously. Sometimes you gotta hear something come from others because simply saying it to yourself won’t work. I appreciate it dude I really do.

TXOldRedRocker

A Variant Of Unknown Origin
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't really pick the one I think is the best looking. I love them all. Best playing is the Triburst. The Fralin Pure P.A.F. pickups make it the best.

Hanging20210927.jpg

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent. I’m about to get a first job at the school I graduated from a few months ago. …

Makes me feel like a horrible person. Even though I’ve just now gotten the opportunity to have a job finally and I wasn’t able to before, I still feel bad about it. ….

Maybe I’ll be able to look back and say I had it good.
Best advice I ever got from my dad when I moved out on my own was:
“You have to learn how to be selfish, and be SMART about it.”

You are working in your own interests when you get out on your own.
Don’t ever forget that.
Everyone else comes second.
Just be smart about it, and don’t shoot yourself in the foot.
It ain’t easy, but it’s simple.

It takes time.
Like the game Monopoly, four little houses eventually becomes a big hotel. There are plenty of tales from your childhood and through out history for how this works.
Slow and steady wins the race.
The tortoise and the hare.
The ant and the grasshopper.
More important than how much progress you made, is the fact that you are at least making progress. Something.
Anything.
As long as you are moving in the right direction.

Oh, and don’t think you’re going to corner the guitar world by offering a cheap product.
You can never win on low prices.
It’s what we see in advertising, but that’s not what builds a business.
You have to make money, and you have to make a profit.
So you have to offer a product or service people are willing to pay money for.

Struggling college students don’t drive the guitar market, so you need to figure out how to get money out of the people who have it.
They tend to be older, in case you haven’t noticed.
:dude:

The Fralin Pure P.A.F. pickups make it the best.
Lindy Fralin is a saint!
He repaired and potted a pickup for me 20 years ago, and he answered his own telephone when I called him.
Very helpful.
And the price was right.
He has gotten almost all of my aftermarket pickup business since then. Great stuff.

Oh, and killer guitars you got there!

Leee

Reaction score
PRS Custom 24, 20th anniversary I ordered in 2005.
I didn’t get the damn thing until 2007. Yes, I waited 26 months.
PRS had prevailed in their lawsuit with Gibson over the SingleCut model, so all of their production capacity was diverted in getting SingleCuts back into the market.
My order took the backseat.

It was phenomenal when I got it.
Absolutely stunning.
And I probably don’t play well enough to appreciate how fine that instrument was.
But I never warmed up to it.
I had it three years, and then posted it on eBay in speculation.
It sold immediately!
I guess I could’ve asked for more money……

I took that money and bought my Black Beauty re-issue.

I have some very nice Les Pauls, but still my two main guitars are my 20 year-old ES-335 and an Ash-bodied Stratocaster I built 15 years ago.
Fender Dove P-90 pickups.
I captured lightning in a bottle with that guitar.

mjross

Reaction score
This one is pretty nice and plays even better than it looks. Giffin Standard. YES, I PLAY LEFTY STRUNG RIGHTY,

1632769390150.jpeg

This is probably the best playing guitar I’ve played in a while! CME Spec “58” Plain Top.

1632769618661.jpeg

Last edited:

Davey Rock

Reaction score
This one is pretty nice and plays even better than it looks. Giffin Standard. YES, I PLAY LEFTY STRUNG RIGHTY,

View attachment 562899

This is probably the best playing guitar I’ve played in a while! CME Spec “58” Plain Top.

View attachment 562900
That’s awesome dude seriously! I’ve always wanted to buy a lefty and string it right. Awesome dude, awesome!

TXOldRedRocker

A Variant Of Unknown Origin
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

I got an email from Lindy this morning pertaining to my latest order. The Wine Red LP is about to go double-black with black trim. Putting 7.8/8.4 Pure PAF in that guitar.

Best advice I ever got from my dad when I moved out on my own was:
“You have to learn how to be selfish, and be SMART about it.”

You are working in your own interests when you get out on your own.
Don’t ever forget that.
Everyone else comes second.
Just be smart about it, and don’t shoot yourself in the foot.
It ain’t easy, but it’s simple.

It takes time.
Like the game Monopoly, four little houses eventually becomes a big hotel. There are plenty of tales from your childhood and through out history for how this works.
Slow and steady wins the race.
The tortoise and the hare.
The ant and the grasshopper.
More important than how much progress you made, is the fact that you are at least making progress. Something.
Anything.
As long as you are moving in the right direction.

Oh, and don’t think you’re going to corner the guitar world by offering a cheap product.
You can never win on low prices.
It’s what we see in advertising, but that’s not what builds a business.
You have to make money, and you have to make a profit.
So you have to offer a product or service people are willing to pay money for.

Struggling college students don’t drive the guitar market, so you need to figure out how to get money out of the people who have it.
They tend to be older, in case you haven’t noticed.

Lindy Fralin is a saint!
He repaired and potted a pickup for me 20 years ago, and he answered his own telephone when I called him.
Very helpful.
And the price was right.
He has gotten almost all of my aftermarket pickup business since then. Great stuff.

Oh, and killer guitars you got there!

Leee

Reaction score
I love them all.
Right on.

Here’s a recent Les Paul family pic.
I was doing some cleaning and rearranging.
Sorry for the poor lighting.

LP Family1.jpg
LP Family2.jpg

All have mods, though some were of mechanical or electronic necessity.
Schaller straplocks and locking Grover Rotomatics went on on everything.

LP Custom in natural got the nickel hardware simply because I hate gold.
And black plastics. And reflector knobs. Faber TOM bridge setup. Very cool, high-quality hardware.
Killer sounding guitar.

Cherryburst Classic Plus came with ceramic pickups - they sucked.
It got BurstBucker Pros and Grovers, then locking Grovers. Joe Perry autograph.

Goldtop was GOTW #8 in 2007. Bound headstock and super-flamey neck.
Thought I would give the mini-humbuckers a chance. Fralin P-90s replaced them.
RS control kit, Ted Nugent autograph.

Black Beauty was never intended to be modified in any way.
Bridge pickup went microphonic, so the BB3 became a '57 Classic Plus.
This guitar convinced me of the superior quality of the Customs and reissues.
It's badass.

Told the story of the 1993 Ebony LP Standard train wreck elsewhere.
It's worth next to nothing in resale, so it got the custom paint.

2019 LP Special was my first new Gibson in over a dozen years.
Towner installation kit for the Bigsby is really slick.
Roller bridge too.

Last edited:

Leee

Reaction score
Where's your JCM-800?
You sell it already?

Latest Threads