most authentic year for a historic?

Six6String6

Reaction score
I can say I am very happy with my 2019 60th Anniversary R9.
I have played and owned Les Pauls since about 1969, had many real Bursts in my hands for one reason or another. Of course all were different as expected. My R9 would fit right in with them.
As far as authentic... then you get down into obsessive time capsule details like incidental tooling marks in the control cavity, which direction the ground bus is routed, whether the two sides of the headstock top are truly symmetrical and crazy shit like that. My R9 has the important parts, Custombuckers, lightweight tailpiece, right looking knobs, right wiring, etc etc. What I don't like is the excessive rust on the steel parts and the iffy unshiny lacquer that doesn't look dulled so much as just pulled before final polish.
However, it has a beautiful color job, the neck feels just right, the weight is right, it really sounds like an oldie (brighter than we think) and, well, it's also beautiful.
I have to say I agree with the excessive rust thing. Why does reissue mean it has to have the effects of a poorly looked after 60 year old guitar.
According to Merriam-Webster:

reissue​

verb

re·is·sue (ˌ)rē-ˈi-(ˌ)shü
chiefly British -ˈi-(ˌ)syü

reissued; reissuing; reissues
intransitive verb
: to come forth again
transitive verb
: to issue again
especially : to cause to become available again

Should that not mean the guitar should look the way it did when it left the factory? I love my R8 but not so much, the rusted bits.

Streetglide

Reaction score
I like both of my 2019 60th standards. Top carve is still off but what's new? They play great and sound like an old Lester would if it was only a few years old. I'm 77 and I was there...

lester san jose.jpg

theresstrange

Reaction score
I like both of my 2019 60th standards. Top carve is still off but what's new? They play great and sound like an old Lester would if it was only a few years old. I'm 77 and I was there...

View attachment 651854
I think the dishing is accurate... remember they all were and still are hand sanded. Not every one is the same.

1allspub

Reaction score
I have to say I agree with the excessive rust thing. Why does reissue mean it has to have the effects of a poorly looked after 60 year old guitar.
According to Merriam-Webster:

reissue​

verb

re·is·sue (ˌ)rē-ˈi-(ˌ)shü
chiefly British -ˈi-(ˌ)syü

reissued; reissuing; reissues
intransitive verb
: to come forth again
transitive verb
: to issue again
especially : to cause to become available again

Should that not mean the guitar should look the way it did when it left the factory? I love my R8 but not so much, the rusted bits.
Don’t confuse the various finishes offered on Reissues with the Reissues themselves. They do offer Reissues that look brand new as they looked from the factory back in the day... those are the Gloss finish. They also offer them in VOS that has the look of decades old patina on a guitar that was played a bit but otherwise well cared for (kind of the “kept in its case under the bed for decades” look) and finally they offer various levels of Aged finishes as well (Ultra Light Aged, Light Aged, Heavy Aged, Ultra Heavy Aged) from the Murphy Labs. They are all Reissues, just finished in different ways.

theresstrange

Reaction score
Don’t confuse the various finishes offered on Reissues with the Reissues themselves. They do offer Reissues that look brand new as they looked from the factory back in the day... those are the Gloss finish. They also offer them in VOS that has the look of decades old patina on a guitar that was played a bit but otherwise well cared for (kind of the “kept in its case under the bed for decades” look) and finally they offer various levels of Aged finishes as well (Ultra Light Aged, Light Aged, Heavy Aged, Ultra Heavy Aged) from the Murphy Labs. They are all Reissues, just finished in different ways.
All the hardware from the custom shop since 2019 are distressed. You cannot get a pristine looking tailpiece, pickup covers, screws, bridge or tuners that look new.

Six6String6

Reaction score
Of course. I forgot about the gloss finish. But they don’t seem to be an option all the time. It looks like on some years the VOS is released and others the gloss. At least that’s what I’m noticing

theresstrange

Reaction score
Of course. I forgot about the gloss finish. But they don’t seem to be an option all the time. It looks like on some years the VOS is released and others the gloss. At least that’s what I’m noticing
Prior to 2019 the custom shop offered gloss finish or VOS. From 2019 all finishes on Pauls were light sanded finish which knocked down the glossy-ness. Still shiny but not shiny-shiny. LOL

jimijam33

Reaction score
2007 Historic with Honduran mahogany, send it historic makeovers for a Brazilian board and all the fixings. That’s what I would do, anyways.
Gibson still used yellow glue on the joinery in 2007 plus they didn't use eastern rock tops. True historic's come close (when they used eastern rock tops)...

Latest Threads