most authentic year for a historic?

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
Why would they release historic reissues in 58 and 59?
you must mean 2058 and 2059.....those will be the centennial releases....they will finally unearth and install the 47 sets of PAF's that were formerly under HJ's desk, next to the stack of 200yr old mahogany (when HJ had it, it was only 100yrs old) adjacent to the pile of old growth brazillian rosewood, which is next to the last ever pile of old Madagascar ebony.....

better hope for bio-freezing cuz peeps today in 2022 won't want to miss the centennial year reissues, which will be hands down, the most accurate ever made....

Six6String6

Reaction score
I wonder how much more accurate the reissue will be 50 years from now? Does Gibson keep getting something wrong deliberately each release just so they can say “this year is the most accurate reissue”

Linus

Reaction score
“Most accurate” and “speaks to me” aren’t necessarily the same thing.

When it was time for me to buy my R9 I went to Mark’s Guitar Loft and played ~ 30 of them. I bought the one that spoke to me.

Then I sent it to Historic Makeovers for the full treatment.

Now it speaks to me and is most accurate.

If I had to do it again I would do exactly the same thing.

drivers1959

Reaction score
You can really go down a rabbit hole with a question like that....which for hobbyist is FUN. For a guitar player, It is finding that guitar that "speaks" to you. My 2005 R9 is the best sounding guitar I have ever owned. I have owned other R9s and let them go. This one stays until I am gone.
although, im sure yours does sound great..regarless of the year...the pups and caps can always be changed from stock..i have a 199R9 came with stock pups..which sound great but i did change them out with other pups and bumblebee caps..and it's absolute killer

jpage1974

Reaction score
2017-2020 Brazilian Les Paul Historic... Some will say 2016 "True Historic" but those did not have Brazilian fretboards and the 2017-2020 Brazilians carried over 95% of the features PLUS Brazilian.
2019-2020 Have Unpotted pickups which is (technically) more accurate.... However, 2019-2020 Brazilians are SUPER RARE! (compared to 2017-2018)

jpage1974

Reaction score
They made Historics several years prior to 2007 with Honduran mahogany

In fact in 2003 there was factory produced Historics with both Brazilian rosewood and Honduran mahogany.
This is true but the tenon, top carve, neck carve, hardware, plastics, etc. are not as accurate as the 2017-2020 Brazilians... Brazilian Rosewood is only grown in Brazil and neighboring countries...Honduran Mahogany can be grown on several continents....

jpage1974

Reaction score
Others here know volumes more than I do, but I don't think there's one moment where it all came together. I guess if you could take the Honduran mahogany body/neck of ~2007 and stick it to a current build w/ a special order Brazilian RW board, you'd have it.

In reality though, a 2019 or later with a braz RW board would be it.
Yes...the 2019-2020 Brazilian are the most accurate, second being 2017-2018 Brazilian

Stefftrim

Reaction score
You know, on the basis of never have had the opportunity to play either a 58 or 59, I can only base my reply on:
1. I can reproduce the sound coming out from a Marshall jtm 45 1964 with a 4X12 cabinet loaded with Pulsonic T1221 Celestion speaker.
2. Having heard or listen to streamed or recorded playing of 58/ 59's on those above mentioned and from same source, acoustic playing (which I believe I have to rely on more than electronically versions.)
3. I believe in the maturity or the "lager" of the wood, especially how the mahogany has been stored/ matured to dry it, not in a temperate environment but in nature.
I used to live near a former sawmill and people from all over, came and bought "seasoned" wood and it was stored outside, not packed, but with 3" sticks between the boards.
If I was to geek out on building a replica, I would start with what has the probably biggest influence. The body and the neck wood, mahogany and listening to the resonance of tapping it. Same with the maple, you could watch:
Guitar stories with Mark Knopflet @ 30.50 and watch the process of a famous builder and later on a hollow body builder. It's a real treat.

Havenhearse

Reaction score
They made Historics several years prior to 2007 with Honduran mahogany

In fact in 2003 there was factory produced Historics with both Brazilian rosewood and Honduran mahogany.
I have a 02 R7 with Honduran Mahogany and Brazilian Rosewood board and it plays and sounds amazing.

DmacD

Reaction score
2007 Vos Historics from Custom Shop and the chambered ones are king.

theresstrange

Reaction score
This is true but the tenon, top carve, neck carve, hardware, plastics, etc. are not as accurate as the 2017-2020 Brazilians... Brazilian Rosewood is only grown in Brazil and neighboring countries...Honduran Mahogany can be grown on several continents....
Where did you get your info?? The carve, tenon length, etc you mentioned hasn't changed since 2015! LOL Let's just say I have it on good authority.... There has been significant R&D into the materials, hardware sourcing and manufacturing (pickup potting aside) that led up to the True Historic lineage.

Fretts

Reaction score
What is the most authentic year for a historic 59 or 58? Thanks!
I can say I am very happy with my 2019 60th Anniversary R9.
I have played and owned Les Pauls since about 1969, had many real Bursts in my hands for one reason or another. Of course all were different as expected. My R9 would fit right in with them.
As far as authentic... then you get down into obsessive time capsule details like incidental tooling marks in the control cavity, which direction the ground bus is routed, whether the two sides of the headstock top are truly symmetrical and crazy shit like that. My R9 has the important parts, Custombuckers, lightweight tailpiece, right looking knobs, right wiring, etc etc. What I don't like is the excessive rust on the steel parts and the iffy unshiny lacquer that doesn't look dulled so much as just pulled before final polish.
However, it has a beautiful color job, the neck feels just right, the weight is right, it really sounds like an oldie (brighter than we think) and, well, it's also beautiful.

DADF#AD

Reaction score
Seeking the equivalent of one of Gibson's original bursts (for historical accuracy or otherwise) is the guitar enthusiast's version of a snipe hunt.

Play a lot of them. Find one that feels & sounds (resonance) good to you & buy it. You can always change wiring/pups, tuners plastics & even color later on.

Play it. Enjoy it. Don't focus on what if & could be or am I getting the most historically accurate version out there. It's a tool of musical expression & sometimes it's even art for some. Use it for what it's made for - making music that you enjoy.

Besides, if Gibson made Brazilian bursts back then well, that's a whole lot of them that must still be out there!

74JMP

Reaction score
None of this sort of stuff makes for a better playing or sounding guitar though by comparison to another 'less accurate' model.
WORDS TO LIVE BY.......Had my 02 for almost 20 years and it still will surprise me, and it is not the most accurate, not plecked made with titebond yada yada yada. Only one LP i played did i ever like more, a 58 that came from Rick Ralphs from Mott and BadCo. Was at a open mic and the drummer asked to play freeway jam and we winged it. Listening back to the recording playing into a Westbury SS amp from the 80's IT still sounded amazing.

Latest Threads