most authentic year for a historic?

vanguard

Reaction score
Others here know volumes more than I do, but I don't think there's one moment where it all came together. I guess if you could take the Honduran mahogany body/neck of ~2007 and stick it to a current build w/ a special order Brazilian RW board, you'd have it.

In reality though, a 2019 or later with a braz RW board would be it.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
2007 Historic with Honduran mahogany, send it historic makeovers for a Brazilian board and all the fixings. That’s what I would do, anyways.
They made Historics several years prior to 2007 with Honduran mahogany

In fact in 2003 there was factory produced Historics with both Brazilian rosewood and Honduran mahogany.

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
They have always upsold the historic line, making it more accurate year on year.

Aside from the restriction of Braz, the last few years (since the true historic I think) has seen very little in the way of improvement save for a slightly more accurate logo (still not quite right though) and locating the height of it on the headstock correctly for the R6 and 7 (to the lower position). The last major structural change was the Carmelita neck shape and scanned top carve.

None of this sort of stuff makes for a better playing or sounding guitar though by comparison to another 'less accurate' model.

vanguard

Reaction score
They made Historics several years prior to 2007 with Honduran mahogany

In fact in 2003 there was factory produced Historics with both Brazilian rosewood and Honduran mahogany.
Wow! Mind if I ask for more details?

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Reaction score
Wow! Mind if I ask for more details?
In 2003 Gibson produced a limited number of Brazilian rosewood fretboard on various models of Historics.... R4-R9 Les Pauls.

Honduran mahogany had been already in use at this point.... other new features include the pointy shape trap inlays. The correct tuner alignment on the headstock.

This forum has all this information here... the search feature can help.

vanguard

Reaction score
In 2003 Gibson produced a limited number of Brazilian rosewood fretboard on various models of Historics.... R4-R9 Les Pauls.

Honduran mahogany had been already in use at this point.... other new features include the pointy shape trap inlays. The correct tuner alignment on the headstock.

This forum has all this information here... the search feature can help.
I know about the 2003 Braz run, but didn't know they sported Honduran mahogany

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Reaction score
I know about the 2003 Braz run, but didn't know they sported Honduran mahogany
It's all Honduran mahogany,... it just depends where it comes from,.... Historics have been made with the south american variety till about 2008,....then it was sourced from Fiji. Still Honduran. I'm not going to start another long debate,.. but it is known the species hasn't changed,... just where it's grown....and it can grow just about anywhere.

brandall10

Reaction score
2007 Historic with Honduran mahogany, send it historic makeovers for a Brazilian board and all the fixings. That’s what I would do, anyways.

Just FYI to those who care, they don't do condom removal anymore - I do so only did the standard package for the recent HM of my 2005. My madagascar board is nice as is.

Satch0922

Reaction score
What is the most authentic year for a historic 59 or 58? Thanks!
You can really go down a rabbit hole with a question like that....which for hobbyist is FUN. For a guitar player, It is finding that guitar that "speaks" to you. My 2005 R9 is the best sounding guitar I have ever owned. I have owned other R9s and let them go. This one stays until I am gone.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 95

Latest Threads