Most accurate looking reissue?

Clown_Burst

Reaction score
Hello all,
I know there are so many questions about which year is 'the best' wood- or tonewise and all that.
I guess almost all the reissues are fine guitars but I'm interested in the most accurate historic correct looks too.
Things like as follow:
- red side dots at the neck
- rounded neck binding
- white binding at the neck with creme/amber binding at the body
- correct spacing between bridge volumepot and stopbar
- 'yellowed' Gibson logo
- Historic correct inlays
- true silkscreen Les Paul logo which you can feel (Even my Tokai Love Rock LS70 has it)
- 9 xxxx digit serial number (9 space 4 digit)
- accurate body carve.
- and of course lightweight without weight relief.
- Hide glue
- Braz (look a like) fretboard.

Did I forget something?

Al this on one guitar. Are there such accurate looking reissues? From which year?

I saw a beautiful 2001 R9 wich wasn't vintage correct at all. It had the red side dots, but not the correct inlays and so on.

I hope you can help.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The logo and inlays look best on the 2019 and later Historics, but the fretboards can also be lighter. Serial number just depends on the point in the year at which it's made.

Sounds to me like you should commission a replica build.

calieng

Reaction score
I agree with Duane on a replica build but who will build one now? I do not know if Steve is taking new orders. And few of the other top builders are still making replicas.

I hate to say this but a Murphy Lab ultra light aged if you can find the right one with a nice top is about as close as Gibson has gotten so far. I believe the defective finish issues are corrected on current production but the finish is still so very fragile. And the wood used is often below the quality of past years. You also do not get Brazilian board.

I will have to see when my True Historic comes back from Historic Makeovers whether it can edge out my replica for being realistic but It did not get the Brazilian board as it already had a really nice quality dark board.

HM refinsihed Ace Frehley True Historic project from earlier this year....pretty darn realistic I suppose.

AF HM.jpg

My 2018 Brazilian '59 should also be included in the running as most accurate - just the plasticized finish on it holds it back. It is a nice guitar but somehow does not carry that vintage vibe. Maybe after it has been played a few years and gets a few bumps and bruises...

IMG_3904.JPG

In the end nothing I have ever owned has come closer than the replica Steve just built for me. There is something special with it.

Hague.png

Last edited:

Joshabr1

Reaction score
It’s not gonna be an old guitar regardless. The guitars the custom shop have been putting out since 13-14 thru now all are very close with a couple small changes. Plastics and pickup covers.

Clown_Burst

Reaction score
Thank you guys for replying. I guess I have to go for a good replica or a recent CS model.

calieng

Reaction score
Still can't wait for that NGD post!
Yes it is on my to do list. I have some deadlines with work right now but then can catch up on things. I have a few amps and guitars to photograph too for some sales listings.

calieng

Reaction score
Thank you guys for replying. I guess I have to go for a good replica or a recent CS model.
It depends on if you have a nice Les Paul already. If not consider the 2019-2021 models so you can get something to enjoy now. A replica build will be months (or years) of waiting and getting harder to find builders. And only a few of them actually build more realistic than Gibson.

Depends on your budget too. Anything Gibson built with a real Brazilian board is pushing $10k these days.

Two recommended dealers are House of Guitars in Rochester NY and Wildwood Guitars. Neither have ever let me down. Cannot say the same for some others.

ARandall

Reaction score
And only a few of them actually build more realistic than Gibson.
You've not been to the luthier's corner here have you. Practically everyone (DIY guys too) building a replica burst is doing it more accurately than Gibson. The best builders even here are doing astonishing things.
In fact some even go as far as use the 'radio glue' (either PF or UF, can't remember which) for the top/back interface.....something you'll never get Gibson to do as its too cost prohibitive for large scale production.

Most replicas will not use a Gibson logo though. Even the more 'liberal' of the builders would have been cracked down on by now - especially in western countries.
HM will be the better bet - by taking a guitar from say earlier on (which will be cheaper to buy) then you get also all the things that Gibson can't do like fading dyes, Braz fretboard and some of the more accurate nitro formulas if you want more realistic aging. Even the aftermarket logos they use are more vintage correct - and thats even after Gibson updated their RI logo.

calieng

Reaction score
You've not been to the luthier's corner here have you. Practically everyone (DIY guys too) building a replica burst is doing it more accurately than Gibson. The best builders even here are doing astonishing things.
In fact some even go as far as use the 'radio glue' (either PF or UF, can't remember which) for the top/back interface.....something you'll never get Gibson to do as its too cost prohibitive for large scale production.

Most replicas will not use a Gibson logo though. Even the more 'liberal' of the builders would have been cracked down on by now - especially in western countries.
HM will be the better bet - by taking a guitar from say earlier on (which will be cheaper to buy) then you get also all the things that Gibson can't do like fading dyes, Braz fretboard and some of the more accurate nitro formulas if you want more realistic aging. Even the aftermarket logos they use are more vintage correct - and thats even after Gibson updated their RI logo.
Speaking from experience from the ones I owned only this most recent Hague would qualify as more accurate than Gibson from the point of view of outward appearances - thickness of binding, logos, paint color, etc.

I do believe you that some being built by members here are better and I would love to see some and maybe even buy a few of them. But past BaB, Bobburst and some other small luthier builds I had were off in several obvious ways even though the wood was better or the methods to construct more accurate. But they did not have an overall more accurate outward appearance. Now as far as tone and mojo - hell yes they killed most Gibsons.

Even the famous Max replicas were not perfect..maybe some of the later versions. Just watched an Emerald City Guitars review of one this morning on Youtube - neck heel was way off for example. But I did say a few builders are more accurate so later Baranet, Bartlett, Yarin, Hague and some others I am sure have beat Gibson at their own game.

Thanks for pointing me towards Luthier's Corner. I will spend a little more time there.

Cheers.

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
^ Max replicas (certainly the older ones) were really inaccurate, as well as the Derrig ones. But this was at the dawn of building where the minute details were not sweated. Both of these two are more famous for an association with Slash than any accuracy tbh.
You want fame for accuracy, Preeb (or Gil Yaron) is the replica builder famed for accuracy. But he now builds his own stuff as he was served a cease or desist.

Between the Bartlett Woodworking plans (for positions of all hardware and measurements) and our own member's work in the last 24 months on plans for the outer shape and accurate carve templates, you have everything you need for building a guitar more accurate than Gibson has ever done. Especially as Gibson still makes their RI necks with a lip at the end of the tenon.

calieng

Reaction score
^ Max replicas (certainly the older ones) were really inaccurate, as well as the Derrig ones. But this was at the dawn of building where the minute details were not sweated. Both of these two are more famous for an association with Slash than any accuracy tbh.
You want fame for accuracy, Preeb (or Gil Yaron) is the replica builder famed for accuracy. But he now builds his own stuff as he was served a cease or desist.

Between the Bartlett Woodworking plans (for positions of all hardware and measurements) and our own member's work in the last 24 months on plans for the outer shape and accurate carve templates, you have everything you need for building a guitar more accurate than Gibson has ever done. Especially as Gibson still makes their RI necks with a lip at the end of the tenon.
Yes thanks for the info. I saw one of the Derrig guitars in the past and the headstock was way off. That's not to say it was not a wonderful guitar.

Looking forward to all the great builds by members here.

Keep me in mind if you ever sell one. I would love to add some great replicas to the collection (and unload more Gibsons).

This Hague that just arrived is so special...magical. Even if it was not perfect in some way I am still blown away by it! Nothing I own right now comes close to the tone. It is my Beast (Bernie Marsden reference).

Latest Threads