more VH talk

Malikon

말억건
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So I've been going through the DLR era stuff. It's pretty fun. DLR does get somewhat annoying with his "YOWL!" all the time but I can see that he was a good front man. His enthusiasm made up for his lack of range. And he did write the lyrics and all so I give him credit for that.

The guitar stuff is a lot of fun to play. Sometimes the riffs remind me of AC/DC, or ZZ Top,... EVH is sort of all over the place in a way but he's got great rhythm and flare for riffs. Stuff like Atomic Punk or Romeos Delight are very Metal, the fast down-picking palm-mutes in Romeos Delight surprised me.

I've jumped in deep, I bought all the sheet music books for every record except for Van Halen III. I don't like Gary Cherone and everyone says it's a terrible album. But I got all the albums (digitally) and the sheet music books in hard copy that I play with at night, trying to learn some new tapping tricks and such.

A couple books are in the other room, but it's become an impressive stack of sheet music. :thumb:

Got the 5150 Overdrive pedal and it's really nice, it even has a gate built into it. It gets some really great sounds though and can even make my Fender Tweed amp totally overdriven and screaming pinch harmonics. Which is a lot of fun out of a tweed amp.

Bought VH 1, 2, and 1984 on vinyl too. I was curious how different VH 1 might sound on a record player like it was 'back in the day'. The record player comes tomorrow and I'm pretty excited to hear the albums through it. It's not a super hifi record player, but then I tell myself probably not everyone was listening to these records through amazing systems in 1978 and 1979, so it's appropriate to play them on an average player.

All in all though this has been a lot of fun to learn. Diving back into 1980's music and guitar has been fun. I've been playing around with Dokken and Joe Satriani as well. I found and bought the sheet music book for Not of this Earth by Satriani and that has been a BLAST to play through. I never saw that book before but I always liked that album and Surfing with the Alien. So it's cool to finally learn the Not of this Earth record. I think it's a much creepier and cooler album than Surfing, though Surfing seems to be everyone's favorite. Satriani is super fun stuff to play though. I enjoy him the most out of all the shredders he gets lumped in with.

I keep thinking Van Halen is almost single-handedly responsible for Glam and 80's Hair Metal, I keep hearing a lot of Van Halen'isms in some of the 80's songs. His influence is just all over the place. I noticed in 'Round and Round' by Ratt, the pre-chorus has the same exact melody from Panana playing

"...arrow, through my heart"
------0--------0---------0--------0------------
---------4--------4--------4--------4----------
------------4--------4--------4-------4--------
--4----------------------------------------------
--2----------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------

only EVH starts doing harmonics halfway through it, which sounds really cool

"Panama!"
------0--------0---------[5]--------[5]---------
---------4--------4--------[4]--------[4]-------
------------4--------4--------[4]-------[4]-----
--4----------------------------------------------
--2----------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------

It's been a lot of fun learning new stuff and just 'having fun' playing guitar lately. Sort of funny that listening to JMetal led me back to LA 80's Metal, but that seems to be the biggest influence on JMetal, the aggressive guitar playing in the 80's that sounds like people are having fun. And it is fun stuff to play.

I kind of wish I'd been a teenager in the 80's instead of a little kid, I probably would've enjoyed it more. I was a kid and only really liked Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Exodus, GnR, Iron Maiden and some Motley Crue. I missed out on most of the 80's because I didn't like it at the time. And the music of my teens was Grunge Rock, so it wasn't really technical or anything. It was a lot of depressing music, actually. :laugh2:

I see why the 80's metal is fun,.. it's just 'fun' music. Not all angsty and mad at the world.

and it's fun to be using a Floyd again...

picking up the guitar each night and having it be in tune is a treat. Once I stretched the strings and got it set up and tuned, locked and fine-tuned, it's been in tune ever since.

Acoustically it's very loud too, so it's easy to play with at night sitting on the couch or in my bedroom and not have to have it be plugged in to hear it.

...I've had this guitar riff in my head all day...

...great solo too

Last edited:

fry

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Very cool. The 80s did not suck, regardless of what some people think. I turned 13 in the summer of 1981, so my teen years lined up nicely right through the decade. I remember it being a great, fun era. I loved the music because of exactly what you said, it was fun!

Malikon

말억건
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Your thread made me throw some VH on the turntable

View attachment 391899
Very Cool!

I just ordered a simple player. I read a bunch of reviews and just tried to find an inexpensive one that got good reviews. I really liked the ones that were sort of in a suitcase you could carry around? They seemed really neat and retro, like something from a 50's beach party movie. But the reviews all kept saying they weren't very good.

The reviews for this one were very decent so I figured it looks like a decent introduction to records. I don't know how often I'll listen to the records anyway, I just want the option to. And I want to hear them at least once or twice just for the experience.

I had records as a little kid but they were quickly replaced by tape cassettes and CD's. I bought 2 records as a kid, Metallica Kill Em All, and Ozzy No Rest For The Wicked. And then started buying tapes because I got my own 80's tape player...

When you wanted this..

but Mom bought you this...

:laugh2:

PeteK

Reaction score
I remain steadfast in being the only person on the friggin planet that enjoyed Van Halen III. I think if any band not named Van Halen would have released it, it would have been a hit. Year to the Day is a great power ballad.

The General

Reaction score
I've had "Where have all the good times gone" on a loop for the last couple of weeks. I love that descending/ascending riff he plays through it! Very simple but very cool stuff. He is such an amazing player and I'm far from a fanboy.

And the 80's were an awesome time for music. It might not have the deepest lyrical content and well, the fashions now look rough (spandex and aqua net) but it was the most fun.

Malikon

말억건
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
@Dick Banks

yeah it is. I'm really liking the lead in You're No Good.

The trilled descending harmonics are neat, and the tapping pentatonic scale with the weird bending taps is a neat trick. I never thought about tapping a note and then bending the string with my left hand while holding the tap with my right hand.

I remain steadfast in being the only person on the friggin planet that enjoyed Van Halen III. I think if any band not named Van Halen would have released it, it would have been a hit. Year to the Day is a great power ballad.
I'll probably end up downloading it and getting the book just for the sake of completion. :laugh2:

And the 80's were an awesome time for music. It might not have the deepest lyrical content and well, the fashions now look rough (spandex and aqua net) but it was the most fun.
Yeah the image was... well it was what it was I guess.

I credited JMetal for starting me down this road but I think that, 'The Dirt' Motley Crue movie on Netflix helped too. It got me listening to Motley Crue again. Mick Mars has some really great riffs on Shout at the Devil, Theater of Pain, Girls x3, and Dr. Feelgood.

...Feelgood has some insanely fun riffs to play.

Last edited:

PeteK

Reaction score
VH III is like the Metallica Load/Reload of Van Halen albums. It's not bad, there's some good stuff on there. But a lot of fans hated it because it was different.

LPG

I PLAY LIVE
Premium Member
Reaction score
My Gawd............how do you score Hendrix?

K

Vortex

Reaction score
Yeah VH is fun to learn. So much going on. Last thing I messed with was Beautiful Girls. Nice funky rhythm. Also been trying to get I'm The One even somewhat respectable for the longest time. Probably since 1977, not even close.

Malikon

말억건
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm the One is a ton of fun to play. That one and Hot for Teacher were the first new ones I learned recently.

They both have that really similar chromatic part too in the pre-chorus. "I see a glow that fills this room" on I'm The One, .. and then on HFT right after the line about homework it does the same descending chords in a slightly different rhythm.

Some of them I learned years ago like Running W The Devil and Eruption, You Really Got Me and Little Dreamer and,...... uh yeah I guess that's about it. I only ever heard the first album because I was told I had to. :laugh2:

Little Dreamer is one of those cool songs I wonder why no one ever seems to mention.

Eruption is one of those songs everyone had to learn when I was young. Like Stairway to Heaven, Master of Puppets, Black Dog,...

..and everyone plays it differently. :laugh2:

Malikon

말억건
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Wow, they've uhh... gone up in price. :shock:

New condition is $8,250. but used condition is only around $1,000

• Wow
Reactions: Who

My Les Paul Classifieds