More RAM or more HD?

LPBR

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Currently I have an i5 system with 4 GB Ram and a SATA HD with 320GB (plus a 500GB USB one).

My internal HD is splitted in three partitions (105 GB each):

C: -> Linux Ubuntu
D: -> Work files
E: -> Windows XP

The overall performance is pretty decent, but I am running into a slight problem.

Into the Linux partition I have Virtualbox with a Windows 7 machine that I barely use currently but that I may have to use more due to a new job I got.

Ideally Windows 7 should have its own partition but I think that four partitions in a 320GB disk mayb be a bit too much. I can live with it Windows 7 running as a virtual machine but it is being such a pain because my low RAM.

So I am in this awful doubt about buy an extra SATA HD to install Windows 7 on it or instead to buy more 4 GB of RAM and have Windows comfortably running as VM into Ubuntu. What would be the best cost-benefit way?

PS: I know that the best movement would be to go for both but I really cannot at this time as I am paying for my surgery.

Any advices?

:hmm:

Thanks!

:thumb:

Howard2k

Reaction score
Are you running 32 bit Windows XP? Doesn't that have some pretty serious limitations above 3GB?

Barcham

Elitist Club Member
Reaction score
IF you are running 32bit, going over 4 GB RAM is pointless as the operating system cannot use it.

LPBR

Reaction score
I think I didn't make myself enough clear.

Yes, I am running Windows XP 32 -- BUT -- the Ubuntu that has the Windows 7 within a virtual machine is 64bits. My idea on put my RAM would be to have more RAM for the virtualization...

- OR -

Forget about the virtualization, keep the RAM as is and put a new Hd to give Windows 7 its own partition.

cherokee

Reaction score
Depends on how much work you want to put into it. I think that tossing more ram at it will solve your problem....but really the way it should be setup is to give it its own partition....but that is a lot more work.

Phoenix59

Reaction score
I'd get rid of XP altogether and give that disk space to a full install of 7.

LPBR

Reaction score
I'd get rid of XP altogether and give that disk space to a full install of 7.

I see but this is not an option for me.

I have tried it in the past and found Windows 7 great for mostly of tasks but had experienced lots of issues trying to use it for DAW and even for everyday music listening (cracks, pops, delays, drop outs, freezes, beeps, boos, etc).

Unfortunately I couldn't find a decent solution and also have seen lots of similar complains online about so I suppose that's a common and yet unresolved issue.

That's why I cannot get rid of XP by this time...

:)

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Get a Chromebook!!

..I kid, I kid,..:laugh2:

Phoenix59

Reaction score
I see but this is not an option for me.

I have tried it in the past and found Windows 7 great for mostly of tasks but had experienced lots of issues trying to use it for DAW and even for everyday music listening (cracks, pops, delays, drop outs, freezes, beeps, boos, etc).

Unfortunately I couldn't find a decent solution and also have seen lots of similar complains online about so I suppose that's a common and yet unresolved issue.

That's why I cannot get rid of XP by this time...

:)

Was this with the 4GB RAM and the same 64-bit Win7? If so, there's your problem. If you can, add another 4GB and I am pretty sure your issues will vanish. I've had no problems with either Win7 or 8 and I have a minimum of 8GB of RAM on all my machines.

Aside from that, XP is no longer being supported by Microsoft and therefore no longer being updated; very soon this will result in much greater risk of virus and malware infection.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
How about make the separate HD (for the W7 install) an SSD. Keep it at the bottom of the boot cycle and keep it clean (as in what boots when W7 boots). The combo of SSD and clean will make it plenty fast on 4GBs of ram.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
10 posts in and no one's made a joke about him wanting the ram and the hard D?

:naughty:

C'mon he's got stitches! It's our job to make him laugh and wince.

Laughter is the best medicine. :)

Tone deaf

Reaction score
10 posts in and no one's made a joke about him wanting the ram and the hard D?

C'mon he's got stitches! It's our job to make him laugh and wince.

Laughter is the best medicine. :)

One of my former hockey team mates caught a stick in the face that opened up a nice gash, right at the corner of his mouth. He got a bunch of stitches. As it turns out, laughing caused his face to tense and feel as if the stitches would burst. I am certain I don't need to say that we tried everything within our power to make him laugh.

LPBR

Reaction score
Jokers!

:D

Anyway, as by the advices above seems that the best option for me at this time is to get a second HD -- preferrably a SSD one.

:hmm:

Phoenix59, I really appreciate your point. I just don't want to risk to buy the extra 4GB, wipe my Windows XP off and suddenly get frustrated after figure out that the sound problem is still there.

I am not saying that you don't know what you are talking about. Actually I believe that you may have seen the problem I reported above solved with your recipe.

However I have learn in more than 30 years dealing with computers that is very common that nice and easy solutions that magically solve all the issues may not apply in some cases -- and I am the kind of person that uses to be granted with such happenings too much more than I would like. So I am not taking the risk.

Of course I am aware about the end of XP support and I have debate this subject some time ago in another thread.

At the moment I need to solve my problem but without ANY risk of fall into a pit and screw what is fine. And I know that you cannot promise me that it will work in my case. Trust me, I have worked as a PC repairman in the past and I know that when the subject is computers no one can promise anything. Remember the blue screens at MS presentations? Well...

Anyway, as I stated before I have just one shot (buy one thing or another). If I try one and it doesn't work I won't be able to go for the other too soon. Also I don't want to lose a lot of time having to reinstall XP and my whole DAW stuff if W7 doesn't take care of the job. So I need to be careful on my decision.

Of course I would be happy to try your solution if you can ENSURE me that it is 100% guarantee that adding the extra 4 GB will solve all the issues and taking the compromise that if it doesn't you will send me a free HD as a gift.

Phoenix59

Reaction score
Sure, I'll send you a free hard drive.

It's 120 megabytes, IDE and I use it for a paperweight... ;)

LPBR

Reaction score
Sure, I'll send you a free hard drive.

It's 120 megabytes, IDE and I use it for a paperweight... ;)
Hey, I was just kidding!

Anyway, I have a couple of spare 80GB IDE HDs here. Actually one of them used to be paired with the SATA in my prior system. Unfortunately the new motherboard does not have an IDE interface.

:(

And no, I am NOT going to buy a SATA-TO-IDE adapter or any other demoniac stuff like this.

:laugh2:

babatube

Reaction score
just install windows 7 instead of the XP.
windows 7 is a much better OS with much less security breaches.
4 GB is more than enough for everything.

Latest Threads