More plain tops these days?

in2madness

Reaction score
Flame is lame. It's the ultimate proof that people most people listen with their eyes. I find glossy flame tops kinda embarrassing to play in public. I don't want to play a guitar in public that's prettier than I am.

P.S. I do own one flame top but it's only left the house once.

JMB1984

Reaction score
Last year it was hard to find some of those models with a nice figured top. The plain will be back.

Eric Duane

Reaction score
I think plain veneer tops should make a come back.

Forgot how to make purple.

cybermgk

“No such thing as fun for the whole family"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Plain tops are dead. Sure, they were big in their day, the new thing, fancy kid on the block. They had a good run. But, then people's tastes evolved, they grew, got more complicated. And dangit all, this is 'Merica, so why shouldn't our top's finish match?. No reasons, that's right. So complicated, flamey, figured tops became all the rage. Matches the world around us, more complicated, varied. You can lust after the good ole, PLAIN days. But, you'll be left behind son. This is progress we are talking about.

(crap can't get my toungue unstuck from the side of my mouf)

entresz

Reaction score
I love the look of spruce top/maple body archtops. Nice straight spruce grain on the top, and the figuring is on the back and sides. That looks really classy.

WholeLottaIzzy

Reaction score
Over the top flame tops just seem to scream "notice me!" seems to be more about the guitar than the playing. And as far as instruments go in my eyes, that's wrong.

ctkarslake

Reaction score
I have a plain top. It's a G0. I don't play it very often because my figured tops just sound better. :naughty:

Seriously?? Can you please elaborate on this. What do you find different about this plaintop compared to your flamed Pauls? I didn't think the figuring of the top had much if any effect on tone.

As an aside, does anyone know if these plaintops are made from Eastern or Western maple? Hard Rock, Big Leaf...do these trees produce plaintops?:hmm:

Maybe a sticky on the trees, and the look of the wood these guitars are made from is in order?

7gtop

Reaction score
^^ usually the plain tops with flecks and grain

denote Eastern Hard¤Rock maple... :dude::):dude:

Some of the existing stick*ies have this info.

Reaction score
I too prefer plain tops or subtle figure. I think highly figured tops look too flashy myself, but a lot of folks seem to like them - so to each their own. I guess regarding original bursts the highly figured tops are the rarest and therefore the most highly prized but the opposite is true with historics. Will that mean that plain tops will be more sought after in 50 years :lol:

Also lots of folks reckon that plain top = better tone wood, which has been my experience too so far, though obviously this will vary from one guitar to another.

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously?? Can you please elaborate on this. What do you find different about this plaintop compared to your flamed Pauls? I didn't think the figuring of the top had much if any effect on tone.

No, not seriously. :)

roeg

Reaction score
I wouldn't be caught dead onstage with a flametop LesPaul.Too wannnabe and distracting. I always bring my plain black standard,which happens to be a great axe(bearing in mind the only stage playing i'm doing these days is with a good friends jam night:rolleyes:)...maybe this will change in the near future:fingersx:

Avenue U Guitars

Reaction score
Seriously?? Can you please elaborate on this. What do you find different about this plaintop compared to your flamed Pauls?
Myself, I am unable to detect any difference between my plaintop Les Pauls and my flametop Les Pauls.... and that's probably because I currently own just ONE Les Paul [laughs]. That having been said, the one in question (depicted below) covers both "plain" and "flame" equally well. Tone stays roughly the same in each scenario. :)

t0v1.jpg

Moe Thomas

Reaction score
I think the recent up tick in the past two years of flame might have been Gibsons way of responding to the bad press from the raids. If you make them pretty most people might over look the laminated fret boards and lack of ebony along with made made materials being used.

I love plain tops too. I think they are like the wall flower at the school dance. A wolf is Sheeps clothing.

PS: I know a few Boutique makers who reject 90% of flame for being acoustically dead wood. Flame isn't always the name of the game

abracadaben

Reaction score
Myself, I am unable to detect any difference between my plaintop Les Pauls and my flametop Les Pauls.... and that's probably because I currently own just ONE Les Paul [laughs]. That having been said, the one in question (depicted below) covers both "plain" and "flame" equally well. Tone stays roughly the same in each scenario. :)

t0v1.jpg

This illustrates perfectly why photos can't really represent how beautiful these instruments look in reality.

Guitar gods

Reaction score
For me personally I prefer the plain top. .ines a violin burst and is my favourite les paul. I do own a figured top les paul but it's what I call my Ru Paul as opposed to my les paul.

Latest Threads