More Pickup ID Questions?

The Ballzz

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I have a set of pickups that I'm fairly certain are Gibson and there is a good chance that they came out of my 1988 Les Paul Studio, many years back, but not sure. I am fairly certain they both came out of the same guitar though. I've been led to believe that '88 was a somewhat transitional year and that almost anything is possible? :eek: While they have the Gibson patent number stamped into the base plate, there are features/details that I'm not familiar with. Here goes:
A) One of them has what appears to be some sort of rough paper tape around the bobbins and it tears quite easily in any attempt to remove it. The other one has narrower, woven cloth tape as a lot of after market pickups use.
B) They have no spacers, "per se" but instead "legs" on the bottoms of the bobbins.
C) The ends of the magnets are rough, not smooth/shiny.
D) One has a DCR=7.59KΩ and the other=7.61KΩ.
IMG_0336.jpeg

Any & All Help Appreciated,
Gene

the great waldo

Reaction score
An in focus photo might help, also one of the baseplate ! Otherwise we are going to need Sherlock Holmes for any further identification.
Cheers
Dr Watson

The Ballzz

Reaction score
I'll try to get a better pic! Not sure why others come out fine, but this kind of shot simply sucks? That was the best out of a dozen attempts! I do admit to being photographically challenged!
Thanks,
Gene

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
If those are original Gibson pickups, and they have the bobbins with the textured surface on top and pins coming out the the bottom with the coil wire wrapped around and soldered to the pins (and plastic humps that support them) than those are the Schaller bobbin humbuckers. Though I don't know this first hand, the story is that Gibson used Schaller-made bobbins for a time period. I wouldn't consider them to be particularly desirable to most people or noteworthy sounding but they are less common than some other types.

Is it possible you've had a repair on it, regarding the different tapes? I have one of those pickups and mine has the same poor cloth tape on both coils, but that doesn't mean they are all like that.

Show some clean photos of the bobbin tops and a similar photo to what you posted, but with the details in focus and I'll confirm.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
I'm so photo challenged, but the tops are smooth & shiny, not textured. The gold screws are not the originals, these have a long and varied history! It's interesting that this pickup and the other that I consider a "set" seem identical in every other way, except for the tape used.

Thanks Folks,
Gene

IMG_0338.jpg
IMG_0341.jpeg
IMG_0344.jpeg
IMG_0346.jpeg

Last edited:

The Ballzz

Reaction score
See, here's da deal. I have a really nice '81 Les Paul Custom that I want to sell, but it came with the hideous pickups in this pic, the original pickups did not come with it:

IMG_0207.JPG

Obviously, any prospective buyers will beat me up about the original pups being gone and I'm simply wondering in what form I should put it up for sale? On the one hand, I have a set of semi-correct (though one year newer) Shaw pickups, that I discussed in another thread. But given that they're NOT the originals, I question if it will add any value to the sale in return for giving up the desirable Shaws. On the other hand, I have these pickups discussed in this thread and they may not be much less monetarily desirable than the shaws in this guitar. Understand that I have no desire or intention of misrepresenting this guitar or it's pickups, but instead want to offer it in it's most desirable manner, without shelling out for a set of correctly dated Shaw pickups. I suppose I could simply list it with these pickups and let the purchaser decide which pickups they want it with. In my eyes and reference, the Shaws should be a couple hundred $$$ premium? I have gold screws & covers to match the guitar.

Opinions Welcomed?
Gene

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
I'll complicate your decision with a few more options...

Put some mid-70's T-Tops in it because you're going to have a bunch of Randy Rhodes fans looking at that guitar.

Put another 70's Super Distortion in the bridge to match that neck, because that's also period-correct in an aftermarket way and sticks with the vibe.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
I'll complicate your decision with a few more options...

Put some mid-70's T-Tops in it because you're going to have a bunch of Randy Rhodes fans looking at that guitar.

Put another 70's Super Distortion in the bridge to match that neck, because that's also period-correct in an aftermarket way and sticks with the vibe.

WOW! @cooljuk

Aren't you just full of fun! First off, if I stumble across any more T-Tops it sure won't be to give them away and I sure as H. E. Double Hockey Sticks ain't givin' up any that I already have. And then, how much would I expect to spend for a "vintage" Super Distortion? You're correct, of course, but I guess I should just put it up "as is" and let the new owner worry about the pickups, after beating me up on the price. I'm probably not likely to bump the price much, if any, more than what it would cost me to affect such! I was just hoping to improve the "drive by" impression! The guitar plays fantastic, no neck breaks, and just years of loving wear! It does weigh a full 12 pounds! This thing has rocked many a house!

Thanks For The Tips,
Gene

Latest Threads