More PC bullshit

MikeyTheCat

Premium Member
Reaction score
The thing we always fail to address in these conversations is that it is not 1860 and we are not from 1860.
We don't seem to be able to grasp the accepted norms of the time.
I know much about my great grandfather, as the journal he wrote in every morning survived. He was a great man who lived a life I can't begin to imagine.

If the truth were known, I'm fairly certain that if I lived in his time I would think as he thought and he lived today, he would think much as I think.

I think it's incredibly important to not lose sight of that fact.
Hell, some people today can’t even grasp how it was in the 1970’s, everything is through a narrow lens that doesn’t consider context.

Zungle

Reaction score
They way I figure it is this. We fought a war over the slavery issue. Anything prior to that, whatever. It was legal and people gonna people. But when forced to pick a side, did a person choose to fight to end slavery or fight to continue it?
Actually neither side fought based on the slavery issue on its own......

Thats a neat tidy and convenient story delivered to our children in public schools......

Similar to the mis-teaching's of Columbus .........

The wrongly named "Civil War" was decades in the making and very complex.

parts

Reaction score
My maternal grandfather who really raised me is buried almost next to..

alphabeticaly we are Catxxxx..so..I always saw Al's family monument..

cjpeck

Reaction score
Actually neither side fought based on the slavery issue on its own......

Thats a neat tidy and convenient story delivered to our children in public schools......

Similar to the mis-teaching's of Columbus .........

The wrongly named "Civil War" was decades in the making and very complex.
while slavery wasn't the only casus belli for the U.S. civil war, it would be disingenuous to suggest slavery wasn't a major factor. Slavery and slave-based economic issues were very much at the heart of the civil war.

which isn't to say that Federal vrs. State powers and controls wasn't also a hot button issue. It was. It doesn't reduce the importance of the slavery debate however.

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
Slavery lay at the heart of secession- but the war was fought over secession, not slavery. Again, a half-dozen slave states remained in the Union, and the practice was not banned. Moreover, if you had told the typical Bluecoat that he was fighting to free Negroes, he would likely have told you to fuck off. As Lincoln said, "If I could save the Union by freeing every slave, I would do it; and if I could save the Union by not freeing any slaves, I would do that."

But, as always, war is complicated, especially when one adds in things like the propagandists, and the songs they wrote. So while Johnny Rebs were singing "fighting for our property we gained by honest toil," Billy Yanks were singing "As Christ died to make men holy, let us die to make men free."

But the attitude of the typical Confederate was typified by one prisoner, whom the Yankees asked why he was fighting. He replied, "Because y'all are here." For most of them, that summed it up. No troops from Illinois or New York had any business being in Virginia or Tennessee.

Zungle

Reaction score
while slavery wasn't the only casus belli for the U.S. civil war, it would be disingenuous to suggest slavery wasn't a major factor. Slavery and slave-based economic issues were very much at the heart of the civil war.

which isn't to say that Federal vrs. State powers and controls wasn't also a hot button issue. It was. It doesn't reduce the importance of the slavery debate however.
Of course Slavery was a factor........

But the history teachings that portrait Honest Abe Lincoln as being a staunch abolitionist that saved the day are false.......

And as stated prior in this thread.....the idea that the Confederates fought purely to maintain slavery is equally false.......

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Reaction score
IMO......this is a decent read......

Excellent read!

It summed it up pretty well.... There were two theatres of operation, DC and Joe Blow with a hoe in his hands in the field.... He didn't know all that stuff and didn't care.... He just knew somebody was coming to burn his crops....

Folks forget that part...

scott1970

Reaction score
For fuck sakes, the south lost the damn war. How much do we need to celebrate the losers of a war from 150+ years ago?
Forever.

For example, Molon Labe. The Spartans got beat by the Persians, and what happens? Centuries later the Spartans are still celebrated with bumper stickers, tattoos, endless engravings on firearms.

Why not celebrate with a Persian equivalent of, “went and took it”?

And I believe there will eventually be a move to change the name of your state. Washington had white privilege and slaves. He must be forgotten.

penguinchit

Reaction score
I wonder how long it will take them to remove Harry S Truman's name from schools for potentially offending Japanese-Americans.
Does the NAACP cover different kinds of brown people or am I still excluded from their club?

And while I'm at it, not every black person living in the US is an African American, so people need to quit saying that. Dipshits.

Scooter2112

Reaction score
I live in Charlottesville , Va and everything is either being torn down or renamed. Two of our city parks have been renamed from Lee Park and Jackson Park to Emancipation Park and Justice Park. They are still trying to remove Lee Statue and Andrew Jackson Statues.
Merriwhether Lewis is from here in Albemarle county and there is a large bronze statue of Lewis and Clark with Sacacagawea crouched behind them. Some Native american woman from Idaho came and got her feelz hurt and now they are taking that statue down.
A grade school a mile from my house is being renamed because the School superintendant the school is named after made remarks about integration in an article from back in the 50's.
Every week it's something else. Glad I'm moving.

View attachment 432888

View attachment 432889

View attachment 432890
Not to mention gun rights in your state. The fascists are on parade.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Reaction score
Movies are not history... Movies are bullshit 99.99% of the time.... The other .01% of the time, they're just wrong....

They Glorify the damndest parts of history that didn't happen like that.....

Forrest Gump tweren't real... Hugh O'Brian wuttin Wyatt Earp, Matt Dillion would have sweated his ass off had he really existed.... Columbus was lost as shit.... Daniel Boone wuttin all smiley like Fess Parker...

A really accurate no-holds barred movie about the Civil War would have folks ralphing all over themselves in their seat....

Many have no clue how mind numbingly horrible.... Cities burned to the ground in the south.... Crops that folks needed to survive where destroyed...... Not pretty on either side....

The most dangerous thing on this Earth is the poor man standing in front of what little he owns, protecting it when in the face of a much greater force....

One may think "he is too dumb to know he won't survive this."

He pretty much knew that when he started melting down lead for ball...That is a dangerous man... He knows he will not survive the day....

LPCM&BFG

Reaction score
I read somewhere that the US will, within the next 30 to 50 years, not longer be a country of majority whites.

So, where is the NAAWP ?

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
Let's look at this from another perspective, yet the same.

Can you imagine tearing down the pyramids of Egypt.
It was built on the back of slave labour.
People were entombed alive, with the dead Pharaoh.

How are these monstrosities still standing :run:

LPCM&BFG

Reaction score
Let's look at this from another perspective, yet the same.

Can you imagine tearing down the pyramids of Egypt.
It was built on the back of slave labour.
People were entombed alive, with the dead Pharaoh.

How are these monstrosities still standing :run:
Uh, no they weren't. The people building the pyramids were well paid.