More PC bullshit

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
The NAACP is suing Richmond area school districts to force them to change the names of schools named for Stonewall Jackson, Robert E Lee and Jefferson Davis. Because the existence of those names supposedly "violates their civil rights."

cjpeck

Reaction score
I hate to be the one to tell them, but they can't erase those people from history no matter what they do,

Should schools be named after Confederate general staff officers? Maybe not. But that's not the argument being made is it? How does naming a school "Jeff Davis PS #21" violate someone's civil rights?

I get the "let's not venerate these guys" point of view. But you can't change history. You can only fuck up the future.

Bytor1958

Reaction score
I hate to be the one to tell them, but they can't erase those people from history no matter what they do,

Should schools be named after Confederate general staff officers? Maybe not. But that's not the argument being made is it? How does naming a school "Jeff Davis PS #21" violate someone's civil rights?

I get the "let's not venerate these guys" point of view. But you can't change history. You can only fuck up the future.
I don't get it. When it doesn't hurt them. They keep making things up to be hurt over.

PeteK

Reaction score
I have a conflicted opinion on this issue. I live in central Washington. A place where Confederate General Robert E Lee never stepped foot in his entire life. A place with absolutely no connection whatsoever to the man other than he was an American and people know his name.

There is a grade school down the street from me that used to be "Robert E Lee Elementary School". Someone bitched, they had some meetings, and now they changed the name. To be economical and not have to change the entire sign out front, they just removed the "Robert E", and now it is just called "Lee Elementary".

Are they erasing history? I don't know. The school probably shouldn't have been named after the guy in the first place in my opinion. For fuck sakes, the south lost the damn war. How much do we need to celebrate the losers of a war from 150+ years ago? And as I said before, it had nothing to do with Washington State. Teach the civil war in class, sure, I'm all for learning history. But do we need to keep naming things after these people and putting up statues of their likeness? I'm no snowflake bitching about being triggered, but it all really seems unnecessary.

PeteK

Reaction score
Keep naming things? Putting up statues? Nobody is doing that. That was done long ago. They are tearing them down and erasing the names if the truth be told.
A lot of the naming of buildings and erecting of statues was a direct result of the civil rights movement. Awful lot of Confederate statues went up in the 1950's and 60's. That doesn't seem coincidental to me. So I'm not shedding any tears for poor old Robert E Lee as his name gets removed from another school. You start removing him from text books and I'll probably be pissed, but I'm perfectly fine with not continuing to celebrate his name.

Zungle

Reaction score
Cant we just ditch " Columbus Day"

And call it good....:dunno:

Bytor1958

Reaction score
No.....

The whole indigenous people thing is fvkin' retarded.....

I'm mean ditch the entire holiday period......
It's only a holiday for Federal employees. As far as I know no one else gets it off.