More or les a '59 les paul build

Colorado Blue

Reaction score
I can't get enough of these build threads. Just when you think you've seen every little trick in the book, you find some little nuance - whether it's a jig, a tool, or simply a different order of doing things - that makes you say "why didn't I think of that... it's so obvious?!"

The precision and cleanliness of your work is inspiring. Looking forward to the rest.

I'm envious of your Festool.

JimmyPage968

Reaction score
This build is absolutely amazing. One of the best I have ever laid eyes on. :thumb:

Reverend D

Reaction score
I must say that's one of the finest neck joints I think I've seen, amazingly nice work, I think I'd wet myself if I created a joint that nice! :applause:

Regards,

D.

FlyingPig

Reaction score
That's just stunning work!

:thumb:
Thanks Barnaby:thumb: Gotta tell you, I have a new favorite tool and it's a hand tool, the chisel!

You should have titled this thread 'More or Les Perfection!!'!

Seriously man, this is ridiculously great stuff!:applause::dude:
Love your work as well! Wish I had three les pauls going on!

Yeah, super job on the neck joint!
Thanks man! It took a long time but it was worth it!

Wow. Amazing build. I'm really impressed by the quality and attention to details. :applause:
I love 'build' threads; this is another 'Great' build!! Thanks for your pics and letting us enjoy them! :applause::applause::applause:
i don't know what it is about crisp, clean, tight, smooth joinery with beautiful wood that makes me tear up, but i feel like giving somebody a giant fuzzy man hug! this kind of stuff really challenges me to do better. there are several excellent builders out there that i love to see pics of there work and this is definitely one of them.
Haha I know what you mean about tight joinery!... Glad that you like it Preacher and I'm honored to be one of "them".

I can't get enough of these build threads. Just when you think you've seen every little trick in the book, you find some little nuance - whether it's a jig, a tool, or simply a different order of doing things - that makes you say "why didn't I think of that... it's so obvious?!"

The precision and cleanliness of your work is inspiring. Looking forward to the rest.

I'm envious of your Festool.
Me neither, wish I spent all the time I check out build threads on building:laugh2: On the other hand I wouldn't be able to do this without all the build threads:thumb: Love seeing different peoples approach on building!

Thanks!

This build is absolutely amazing. One of the best I have ever laid eyes on. :thumb:
Thank you very much!

I must say that's one of the finest neck joints I think I've seen, amazingly nice work, I think I'd wet myself if I created a joint that nice! :applause:

Regards,

D.
Thank you I'm glad you like it, I'm very happy about the joint too.

All your responses really mean a lot to me!

A small update!

The router binding jig is done, it uses drawer sliders, great idea, whoever came up with it! I turned the cookie thing in the drill press, worked great! I might ad some kind of counter weight though, I'll rout for the binding tomorrow anyway:thumb:

Here is some pics of the body with the pickup routs done!

Later!:cool:

FF_Pedals

Reaction score
Now that's a top!!!!! :wow:

mg5086v.jpg

Aleksander

Reaction score
Nice done. Just one concern - do you have enough room for routing the inner horn ?

Bruiser74

Reaction score
Looks awesome! Would love to see a pic of that
top with some naptha or something!
B

Reverend D

Reaction score
I'd like to have a house so I could have a picture of that guitar in my house... :D Long as I'm wishing, a 68' Plexi stack and some groupies and my wife being ok with it! :lol:
Regards,

Don

Reverend D

Reaction score
Cool rig for the binding jig, those contraptions sure seem to work well from the several I've seen people using. Great router too, nice job on the jig! Should work out really good for you.

Regards,

Don

jonas 335

Reaction score
I never realized until I started my own builds that templates and jigs are a huge part of successful guitar making. Thanks for the excellent pictures and clear descriptions - perhaps you should go into teaching (not for the pay, though)...

FlyingPig

Reaction score
i don't know, bruiser. i think i'd rather see a picture of it in my house.
:laugh2:

Nice done. Just one concern - do you have enough room for routing the inner horn ?
Nice spotted, I thought I had enough room, but apparantely it was just too little, I'll modify it for the next build!

Awesome work :applause:

Could you plz post a picture of the back of your binding jig?

Joe
Thanks man! Sure, here is a picture:

I'd like to have a house so I could have a picture of that guitar in my house... :D Long as I'm wishing, a 68' Plexi stack and some groupies and my wife being ok with it! :lol:
Regards,

Don
I wouldn't mind a plexi to go with the guitar either...

:hmm:Hmmm...Than looks very familiar.:laugh2:

Great job!:dude:
Your jig was one of the inspirations for mine! Thanks for that:thumb:

I never realized until I started my own builds that templates and jigs are a huge part of successful guitar making. Thanks for the excellent pictures and clear descriptions - perhaps you should go into teaching (not for the pay, though)...
I totally agree, I'm sure I have spent a lot more time on making templates and jigs than building the actual guitar! But next guitar will be faster:) You're welcome and thank you very much, I'd rather build guitars than teach though:) But I haven’t decided what I will do when I finish high school so let's never say never.

FlyingPig

Reaction score
Time to rout for the binding!

I added bungy chords to the jig to make it float a bit.

I don't know if you can see it but the routerbit didn't get all the way in to the corner of the inner horn, so for next time i'll make the cookie/guide thing a bit narrower. For this one I just cleaned it up with a knife and file, no biggie.

Fixed!

First I heated and bent the binding in the inner horn so I didn't have to mess with that while gluing.

I glued the binding with duco cement, it was my first time binding a body and I think it was a bit messy. I noticed that I needed a pretty heavy spread of glue because the wood in the channel seemed to suck it up a bit. I'd also advise you to heat the binding in the inner horn until it is pliable and carefully shape it to the inner horn so you don't have to apply too much force to make it fit when your are gluing it in place.

I spent the rest of the day designing my logo, after doing many different versions I think I like the original design I had in mind best. I just fattened it up a bit.

I'll sleep on it!:wave:

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i couldn't help but notice you said something about "when you get out of high school". don't tell me you're another one of those punk kids with more talent in their left pinkie than i got all over...you know, the kinds i love to hate! unless high school lasts 30 or so years over there, you have blown me away. you are extremely talented with a great eye for detail in addition to your quality of execution. all that combined, it is hard to find someone apparently around your age so disiplined as well. all this makes this thread even more incredible. excellant!

Barnaby

Reaction score
Now that's a top!!!!! :wow:

mg5086v.jpg

+1. It's just amazing. That's the sort of thing that I could look at all day.

Is it just me, or do other people find this stage their favourite part of the build threads? Once all the lacquer and parts are on, sure, it's a guitar (and it will be an amazing one), but there's just something about the raw maple and the top carve that gets me. Like eating cookie dough before it's cooked.

Just a beautiful, beautiful job!

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
yeah, barn. any stage where you can start to see the wood start to 'live' again is special to me. the smell of freshly worked wood just adds to it. you must know more about that as all your wood was cut with hand tools and didn't get 'contaminated' with the smelll of high speed tooling.

Barnaby

Reaction score
yeah, barn. any stage where you can start to see the wood start to 'live' again is special to me. the smell of freshly worked wood just adds to it. you must know more about that as all your wood was cut with hand tools and didn't get 'contaminated' with the smelll of high speed tooling.

I hadn't thought about that advantage of hand tooling...but, now that you mention it, the smell of freshly cut wood is amazing. Today, I am finishing off a plane box that I'm making for joinery practice (I still have virtually no skills or experience as a woodworker, so anything I can do helps a lot). It's made from Japanese cedar and the stuff has a great aroma as I work it with plane and chisels. I guess the oil and ozone of a power tool would kind of detract from that. Also, the sound planing is probably nicer than routing.

In any case, this build is clean and precise - it's on a very high level. If the OP is still in school, then there are decades of amazing building to come. :thumb:

FlyingPig

Reaction score
i couldn't help but notice you said something about "when you get out of high school". don't tell me you're another one of those punk kids with more talent in their left pinkie than i got all over...you know, the kinds i love to hate! unless high school lasts 30 or so years over there, you have blown me away. you are extremely talented with a great eye for detail in addition to your quality of execution. all that combined, it is hard to find someone apparently around your age so disiplined as well. all this makes this thread even more incredible. excellant!
I think we get out of high school a year later than you do in the US. I'm turning 18 this month, so soon I am an adult, at least by law:laugh2: But seriously your comment really means a lot me, even though you think I am "one of those punk kids".:laugh2: Thank you sir.

+1. It's just amazing. That's the sort of thing that I could look at all day.

Is it just me, or do other people find this stage their favourite part of the build threads? Once all the lacquer and parts are on, sure, it's a guitar (and it will be an amazing one), but there's just something about the raw maple and the top carve that gets me. Like eating cookie dough before it's cooked.

Just a beautiful, beautiful job!
I totally agree with you Barnaby! I could stand watching at raw wood for hours, but a carved top is even more special.

I hadn't thought about that advantage of hand tooling...but, now that you mention it, the smell of freshly cut wood is amazing. Today, I am finishing off a plane box that I'm making for joinery practice (I still have virtually no skills or experience as a woodworker, so anything I can do helps a lot). It's made from Japanese cedar and the stuff has a great aroma as I work it with plane and chisels. I guess the oil and ozone of a power tool would kind of detract from that. Also, the sound planing is probably nicer than routing.

In any case, this build is clean and precise - it's on a very high level. If the OP is still in school, then there are decades of amazing building to come. :thumb:
I'd love to see a picture of the planing box, hadn't really heard about them before you mentioned it. You are lucky, you hand tool user! I'm sure it is a lot more pleasant and relaxing than using powertools.

Thank you! I definately intend there to be a lot more more builds in the future.:thumb:

Time for the pearl inlay.

I glued the logo on to the mother of pearl with a dab of white glue. And then drilled some small holes around the outline to divide the cutting into sections. Next time I will glue the paper on to the pearl with super glue, so the paper doesn't flare up when cut. I now simply wiped some superglue over the paper to avoid that.

And let's cut some pearl! I really was easier than i thought, I broke a lot of saw blades though, but it got better the longer in to the process i got. I lubricated the saw blade with some beeswax too.

And after a little more than an hour I ended up with this. A rough cut inlay( well not so rough I guess). Didn't feel like and hour though, I really enjoyed cutting the pearl. I will smooth it with some files tomorrow!

Put it on the headstock template to get a rough idea of what it will look like, I like it!

And that's all for now folks!

Latest Threads