More or les a '59 les paul build

FlyingPig

Reaction score
Hi guys!
Some of you may remember the strat-build i posted earlier this year. Well it’s about time I start my second build now, a 1959 les paul replica, it's hard to not fall in love with those cool old guitars when you hang out on this forum. There are many very inspiring threads about this and I hope mine will be as well. Thanks to all you guys who have posted your great build threads, without them this would be a lot harder.

I made the templates a couple of months ago but then school started and the building got a bit delayed.

Here are a couple of pictures of the template making anyway

mg8183.jpg

mg8198.jpg

mg8251.jpg

Won’t go into too much detail here. I used the first template with the plan glued on as a master template and I made all the other templates by shaping it and then copying it with a flush trim bit, since I didn’t have any copies of the plan and needed to get all body templates out of it.

This week I started the building process by planing the mahogany with the router jig.

mg8701.jpg

mg8711j.jpg

Planing isn’t really one of my favorite things to do so I planed another piece of mahogany while I was at it. It is really light African mahogany (Sipo I believe) I found at the lumberyard. It is very resonant and rings when i tap it.

mg8717.jpg

I planed it down about 1/16 inch too thick so I can cut out the body shape and then let the wood relax for a day so it can release all possible tensions.

mg8732.jpg

I then planed it to final thickness and sanded it smooth and flat with this high-tech sanding tool…

mg8738.jpg

I then attached the first template.

mg8740.jpg

I sanded the body to shape really close with the robo-sander. I like this method since it involves a lot less risk than using a router.

mg8744.jpg

I then routed the wire channel to ½”.

mg8747j.jpg

I sand the sides smooth and to the exact shape of the template using a block with 120 grit sand paper since the robo-sander leave them a bit rough.

mg8754.jpg

I then marked the centerline.

More progress pics will probably come later today as I continue working on it.

Hope you like it!:cool:

Simon

Pemorin

Reaction score
Looking great, have you chosen you top yet ?

FlyingPig

Reaction score
Looking great, have you chosen you top yet ?

Thank you! Yes I have, actually I started building a les paul in the end of this summer but the glue joint between the mahogany and maple didn’t come out like I wanted, so I had to remove the top, unfortunately I wasn’t able to save the body.
Here is a picture of the top:

Didn’t get too much work done today, but here’s some progress anyway

I marked out the control cavity and drilled out most of the material with a forstner bit.

Routed, I left a bit of wood in the control cavity to be removed after the top is glued since I am planning to do the angled rout

Routed for the covers

It weights 1865 grams (4.1 lb), this will be a very light guitar i believe:dude:

Thanks for looking!

Simon

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a perfect weight.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
Seeing a Les Paul come together is something that'll never not be cool.

renthepen

Reaction score
I'm subscribing to this thread so keep it updated often ;)
:thumb:

GooCart

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hey Simon,
that's really nice and clean. I like it a lot!!

We Swedes should start a group here!

Metamatic

Reaction score
In a way I understood it was a Swede when looking at the props. :naughty:

Nice work, looking forward on the rest!

FlyingPig

Reaction score
Thank you very much guys I really appreciate it!

I will try to update the thread as much as I can, I will have work placement for the next three weeks so I will probably be able to do more work than during normal school weeks. But no promises...

We swedes should totally start a group!

The only work I did today was flattening the maple top, I was going to post pic but imageshack didn't want to upload my picture. I will probably glue the top tomorrow I am thinking about using hide glue, but I will probably end up using titebond, hide glue seems a bit to stressful for me on such a large area what do you guys think? Any hide glue tips for this kind of job?

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've experienced no problems with hide glue for tops. If you plan well have everything well organized it is not that big of a deal.

alk-3

Reaction score
Looking fantastic! I can already tell this is going to be a fantastic guitar. Your methods are second to none.

FlyingPig

Reaction score
Looking fantastic! I can already tell this is going to be a fantastic guitar. Your methods are second to none.

Thanks Tom it really means a lot to hear that from a pro like you.

I ended up hide gluing the top and I think it ended up pretty good. So here is some useful tips:

Plan well and have everything organized like nuance97 said.

I mixed my glue thinner than usual, about 1/3 of glue crystals to 2/3 of water (by weight), this extends the work time a bit and since this is such large area I don't think you really need the strength of a thicker mix. Preheating the surfaces will also extend the open time of the glue.

Make sure that your top and body are very flat against each other.

Make sure you have a nice and even glue spread, since the glue is a bit thinner you have more time to spread glue, I think this is one of the most important steps because if you don't have enough glue the joint will not be good even if you do all other things right.

The top will slide easily, next time I will probably just push the top to the body a couple of seconds so the glue grabs it a bit before clamping.

I think this covers most of it, hope it helps.

Here's some updates:

I hide glued the top

The top did slide a maybe 1/16" at the end of the body, but from what I have read the top center joint on bursts is usually a bit of center, so I will add this as a burst feature of the guitar...:lol:

After the glue dried I robo-sanded the top and then flush trimmed it with the router.

I made a top carve template and one of those floating router jigs or whatever they are called.:hmm:
Tomorrow I will start carving the top!

Thanks for looking
Simon

FlyingPig

Reaction score
I see what you did there.

Me too, but I don't know how to change it, any idea?

Simon, The build looks GREAT :thumb:
How did you go about getting the measurements and curves for that?

..Lou

Thanks Lou! Your build looks great as well!
I used the measurements from ex-nihilos video like Gothika777 said. And I just drew the parts in between by hand.

Latest Threads