More moments

cybermgk

“No such thing as fun for the whole family"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
By moments I refer to my thread Rule #32 - Enjoy the little things

I've been feeling down a bit of late. My oldest has moved out on his own finally. I'm proud of him, but I miss him. We were each other's rocks when times were hard. It also is another reminder of my eventual mortality. Then there is all the decisiveness, hate, and crap going on in politics, our schools, society.

My youngest, starting College, is out all day, with friends, also finding his own way and life. Yes, happy, but also sad too.

It started with Tom McDonald's newish video Brainwashed. GREAT song. In and of itself, not uplifting, other than him hitting on all manner of things I am seeing. Though it's message that those in power are trying to divide us on purpose (for many reasons), and that if we come together... well go watch the vid.

But, then I started watching reaction videos to people watching that video. I saw people of all races, ethnicities, creeds, economic levels, parts of the country, world even, walks of life ALL react the same, and the same as I did to his song.

But that got me on a rabbit hole of watching first time reaction vids to a bunch of my favorite music, GnR, Classic Metal and rock bands, SRV, Queen, and quite a few of Pink Floyd and David GIlmour's brilliance (quite a few of their Pulse Concert).

I'm talking hours straight, well most of today really.
These were reaction vids by people who grew up with other Genres as their main music, mostly RandB and Rap/Hip hop, much younger generations. People of different race, age, etc from me.

Watching them react with love, enjoyment, head banging and in some cases tears (for Gilmour's solos), and recognition of talent, or being touched by the power of the music, has lifted me up. Seeing their smiles and responses, made it new for me too. That, itself, is enough.

But, it also gave me hope, that although there are forces trying to tear us apart. There are things like music that can bring us back together. It reminded me that there are still so many people out there that are not falling for it AND that we are so much more in common, than we are different no matter what the powers tell us.

It lifted me right up out of the dumps. Their smiles made me smile, their love of my love, made me feel together with them.

I did nothing most of the day, but it was time, eminently spent well.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
I love some reaction vids. Watching some 21 year olds hear some classic songs for the first time brings me back to when I heard them for the first time.

And then there are discoveries so big you need to call your mama.

When I was growing up in the 60s and 70s pop music was pretty non-segregated. The black kids knew of the white musicians and singers, and the white kids knew and listened to Soul and R and B. I miss those days.

TheX

wo0t
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It started with Tom McDonald's newish video Brainwashed.

I have his CD's, and some of his HOG gear (hats, etc). He nailed it with Brainwashed, and Nova is a badass behind the camera.

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I love some reaction vids. Watching some 21 year olds hear some classic songs for the first time brings me back to when I heard them for the first time.

And then there are discoveries so big you need to call your mama.

When I was growing up in the 60s and 70s pop music was pretty non-segregated. The black kids knew of the white musicians and singers, and the white kids knew and listened to Soul and R and B. I miss those days.
Yep exactly on all accounts

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Throw your electronics in the wood chipper...*

Visit the boys on their own turf. Let them show you around and see that they are further developing into their own, capable selves.

*Not really, but unplug and disengage. I chirp on MLP, but I am not too engaged in any online sh*t. I don't do social media. I read the news, however, I usually avoid articles that I know are going to be toxically political. I scan over a thousand headlines and articles a day via aggregators, but I have a decent sense of which ones are just political bile (in either direction) and I skip them. I used to love politics, when it was about the exchange of ideas and perspectives, now, it's just two skunks pissing on one another.

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This is the first I’ve heard of McDonald, I love it.
Oh, please go watch all his work. The man really is a Prophet needed for today.

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Throw your electronics in the wood chipper...*

Visit the boys on their own turf. Let them show you around and see that they are further developing into their own, capable selves.

*Not really, but unplug and disengage. I chirp on MLP, but I am not too engaged in any online sh*t. I don't do social media. I read the news, however, I usually avoid articles that I know are going to be toxically political. I scan over a thousand headlines and articles a day via aggregators, but I have a decent sense of which ones are just political bile (in either direction) and I skip them. I used to love politics, when it was about the exchange of ideas and perspectives, now, it's just two skunks pissing on one another.
Good point. A major point of Brainwashed. And I know it has a Depressive effect on me. I recognize it, and have to forcefully make myself step away. It acts JUST like an addiction, and it always has a negative effect on my psyche.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Good point. A major point of Brainwashed. And I know it has a Depressive effect on me. I recognize it, and have to forcefully make myself step away. It acts JUST like an addiction, and it always has a negative effect on my psyche.
You can set alarms on your phone that indicate when you can start in on that crap and then when you need to stop. This stuff can be toxic. It is like wearing clothes woven from poison ivy. I have alarms that remind me to turn off the electronics each day.*

My son is just starting out in NYC. I spent 10 years, there. I have to discipline myself to let him show me around as opposed to the reverse. I have to stop trying to do everything for him and watch him succeed on his own merits. I also have to resist encouraging him to come out and see me on the weekends. He needs to be hanging in the City chasing tail, not chewing the fat with the old man.

*If you watch my posting patterns, here, you can easily tell that I don't always respond to the alarms. I guess Pavlov wasn't perfect.

TheX

wo0t
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never shared his videos here. I wasn't sure they'd pass muster. Been a fan for quite a while. Only thing I dislike is no vinyl.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Well,, I have a grandson who is playing Offensive Lineman for the Allen TX football team in his senior year. Next year he will be playing for Harvard! It sure was a moment when I learned my grandson has been accepted to (and to play for) Harvard, We are going to Allen TX (Dallas area) next week to see him open in his senior year. It is kind of a difficult trip, even by commercial air by American Airlines first class. There are insufficient lavatories on the Durango to DFW flights. There is only one lavirory in the back of the plane for 100,people. I should expect a separate first class lavatory, don’t you think?

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've never shared his videos here. I wasn't sure they'd pass muster. Been a fan for quite a while. Only thing I dislike is no vinyl.
Yea, his stuff is, if nothing else political. It's why I didn't post Brainwashed above, or any of the reaction vids to same, that started the OP 'vision quest'.

scrumm21

Reaction score
ok..... I too have spent Hundreds of hours going down the YouuTube Rabbit holes over the years, and have enjoyed every min of it lol. Point being - how is this the 1st time I've seen one of his videos ??!!

Love it

(*Edit - I did the math for the last 10 years - o_O ......)

My "To Watch" list stays around 50 ....most are Documentaries etc I can Just Listen to while I take care of the "Honey Do" list or my projects around the house......I listen to several a day)

Last edited:

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well,, I have a grandson who is playing Offensive Lineman for the Allen TX football team in his senior year. Next year he will be playing for Harvard! It sure was a moment when I learned my grandson has been accepted to (and to play for) Harvard, We are going to Allen TX (Dallas area) next week to see him open in his senior year. It is kind of a difficult trip, even by commercial air by American Airlines first class. There are insufficient lavatories on the Durango to DFW flights. There is only one lavirory in the back of the plane for 100,people. I should expect a separate first class lavatory, don’t you think?

Even all Coach planes have 2 lavs, one fore, one aft. Surprised by that.

BUT, yes, enjoy the moment of of your Grand son's achievements. Those are great oments. I revel when my youngest beats a personal best in Hammer, Discus, Shot, Weight or Javelin, or just throws. Long since taught myself to not think on why he doesn't play footbal, because of poly cystic kidney disease, keeping him from contact sports. Thay way lies emotional dragons.

Latest Threads