More chicks...too many!

Matt_21

Reaction score
So there are more chicks at our place!
My wife hatched one out of about a dozen and then bought a few to keep it company.
Well they're 6 or so weeks old now and she ordered 8 more.
So we have about 13 chicks in the basement. (at two different stages)
Then, the other night we were expanding our run off the coop so there will be more room for the little buggers. My 3 yr old daughter looked into the coop and said, "Dad, there's 4 chicks in there."
I had to check. Sure enough there were 4 chicks standing in front of one hen.
She had been sitting for a few weeks on 7 eggs. We didn't know exactly how long but, we were thinking it must have been coming up on a month. My wife and I had just talked earlier in the day, about breaking her broodiness.
Then what do you know, she hatches 6 of the 7.
So in total we have 8 full sized hens, a rooster, 5 growing chicks, 8 weeks old chicks and now 6 more chicks!
chicks.jpeg
chicksmama.jpeg
chicksmama2.jpeg

Matt_21

Reaction score
And here's our coop with the extended run.
We're going to do something with that roof off to the side.
We cut it off a junky coop we had. It was the only part worth saving.
We'll either brace the run closest to the coop and put it in top or build a new coop under it and put it at the opposite end of the run.
We'll see.
coop2.jpg

Frogfur

Reaction score
And here's our coop with the extended run.
We're going to do something with that roof off to the side.
We cut it off a junky coop we had. It was the only part worth saving.
We'll either brace the run closest to the coop and put it in top or build a new coop under it and put it at the opposite end of the run.
We'll see.
View attachment 254142
Looks very much like the pen I built.

Matt_21

Reaction score
When Lee first said we were getting chickens I wasn't too thrilled but, now I kind of enjoy it. Except the part where the chicks grow up in my basement until they're big enough to fend for themselves.
I do find that I'll often just sit outside and have a cigar once the kids go to bed and just watch the chickens roaming the yard. I find it relaxing. Last night I was doing just that and decided to get our good camera out and snap some pictures.
Havent uploaded them yet but, I may wjen the kids nap.

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I miss my chickens,brother. I saved a dog and he doesnt play well with tiny,cute things....its okay,they were all just about past laying anyhow. Good coop ya got there....and,hey man,one can never have too many chicks :h5: :laugh2: :laugh2:

KTM

Reaction score
Looking good!

How about Snow White and the seven er six chicks.

Hack

Reaction score
Haha.
We actually had 3 roosters processed the other day and ate one the next. The breast meat was good. Lee said the leg meat was a bit tough. Probably because they get so much exercise and aren't stuck in a 2x2 cage their whole lives. (Not that I'm for or against that. I have no stance)
Crock-pot those roos.

Latest Threads