Monty’s PAF?

jlee

Reaction score
Any owners? Thoughts? I just ordered a set. A little worried the bridge will be too low output. They sound phenomenal in clips though.

I have a set of ReWind Low Winds with A2 neck and A5 bridge and they’re one of my favorite sets. Had to swap the original bridge A2 to A5 to give it the extra push I was looking for.

The Monty’s are going in a ‘63 RI ES335.

scovell001

Reaction score
I imagine you’ve seen this:

Matt is a top guy, the pafs are good, the bridge has the a2 so I don’t know if it will have the output you require - I’m sure you’ll be happy once they’re in though ;)

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score
It'll have plenty push... don't get too caught up in dc resistance readiness they don't really accurately judge output. On top of that montys are great pickups.... alnico 2 isn't low out put by itself anyway.... alnico 3 is very weak .. but alnico 2 isn't... It'll be fine... and also remember you can put the pickups up higher towards the strings for more output

ARandall

Reaction score
I've found not only that K means almost nothing when it comes to output or tone, but also that magnet type from A2 through A5 has only ever caused an eq change, not an output one. Even A3 pickups don't get adjusted any closer to the strings than any other.

rockinlespaul

Oxblood Addict
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've read positive things but have no experience with Monty's personally. Sorry I couldn't help more.

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any owners? Thoughts? I just ordered a set. A little worried the bridge will be too low output. They sound phenomenal in clips though.

I have a set of ReWind Low Winds with A2 neck and A5 bridge and they’re one of my favorite sets. Had to swap the original bridge A2 to A5 to give it the extra push I was looking for.

The Monty’s are going in a ‘63 RI ES335.
What amp are you using? Don't know why but it seems low wind pups just work in 335 type guitars.

jlee

Reaction score
I always get caught up on resistance vs output.

Using an Axe FX II. My go to models are a JTM45/100 setting, Super Lead, Fender Twin and Deluxe models.

Cream-Crossroads is my go to song for trying out pickups. Then some Peter Green stuff.

I have 3 MIJ Les Pauls with medium output pickups. Guess I should let Matt do his magic and order them as stock.

Thx all!

jlee

Reaction score
How are the covers, btw? TV shaped or straight across the top and bottom? Can’t seem to make out the shape in the stock photos.

NotScott

Reaction score
I don't recall precisely what set they were but, I played a set in a very fine LP repro. They are bright, very bright. I like bright, clean necks and this does the trick. However, I found the bridge to be a bit too thin. After some tweaking though, I was able to get the bridge to warm up but, it really lacked depth and grunt. The neck and middle positions though, were VERY authentic and VERY cool.

alnico59

Reaction score
I don't recall precisely what set they were but, I played a set in a very fine LP repro. They are bright, very bright. I like bright, clean necks and this does the trick. However, I found the bridge to be a bit too thin. After some tweaking though, I was able to get the bridge to warm up but, it really lacked depth and grunt. The neck and middle positions though, were VERY authentic and VERY cool.
This is always the challenge, at least IME. But, I rather have a killer neck and "chimey" middle over a hot bridge.

jlee

Reaction score
Thin bridge is a little concerning, since it’s going in a 335. Looking for a throaty bridge. Will have to continue to consult Matt and see what he thinks.

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score

Well PAFs in alot of instances were very bright pickup which is why you see guys always fiddling with the knobs. But the montys are very*tele on steroids* which alot of PAF sounded like. I'll post examples of tele sounding PAFs..... Albert kings 59 Gibson flying v sounds like a fat tele... here's a clip of a 1960 burst

jlee

Reaction score
Love Greg Koch! He’s a f’ing monster, but he dials in everything to sound like a Tele on steroids.

I like a bright bridge, just needs to be able to push an amp into overdrive.

Decided to order the pickups as they come standard.

Stuff

Reaction score
I have a set, in a 2013 Sig-T. They fall firmly in the 'vintage output' category, very similar to OX4s and Custom Buckers. I certainly don't tweak the amp at all when I plug in the Sig-T. They're not Seth Lover-weak, if that's what you're worried about :)

I've only had them in this one guitar, which makes it difficult to talk about any pickup set with confidence. This Sig-T is a very bright instrument, and (as much as I love it), it isn't a great-sounding LP. I've had several other sets of pups in this Sig-T, and the Monty's are the only ones that stuck.

In this guitar, they're bright without being ice-picky. To my ears, the end result is close to an RI with CustomBuckers - the emphasis is in the upper-mids. In a different guitar, they'll probably sound different again, which is exactly what a PAF-style pup should do.

Would I buy another set? That's where I'm hesitating a little, tbh. I need to hear them in a much better instrument first. Sigil or OX4, yes I'd definitely get another set, because I have heard those in great-sounding LPs. The Monty's PAFs are in the worst-sounding LP that I own. That I still own - and regularly use - the Sig-T says a lot for just how much the Monty's PAFs have saved that guitar.

HTH.

jlee

Reaction score
Thanks HTH!

I haven’t tried Custom Buckers. Have a set of MHS and hate them. The Monty’s will be replacing the MHS.

I prefer a brighter PAF style so that’s good to hear.

Almost pulled the trigger on some Sigils, but clips of the Monty’s sounded more like what I was looking for.

Stuff

Reaction score
Thanks HTH!

I haven’t tried Custom Buckers. Have a set of MHS and hate them. The Monty’s will be replacing the MHS.

I prefer a brighter PAF style so that’s good to hear.

Almost pulled the trigger on some Sigils, but clips of the Monty’s sounded more like what I was looking for.
HTH == happy to help / hope that helps :)

I've got a set of the Sigil Bluesman 57 LTDs, made with the 50's NOS wiring he managed to get. Hands-down, they're the best pickup set that I own. If I ever get another Les Paul, I'll be buying another set of Sigils to put in it. Plus, David is fantastic to deal with, and I want to support people like that as much as I can.

I dug the Sig-T out after writing that post - it's been a while! - and I've been running it through my Marshall Origin last night and today. The brightness of the Monty's / Sig-T is perfect for a vintage-voiced amp like the Origin. Lovely crisp attack, slightly less compression / slightly more pick dynamics than a set of OX4s, and (surprisingly) slightly higher output. I think that's more to do with a bright guitar into a bright amp than anything else tbh.

Good luck with the Monty's!

jlee

Reaction score
More output than Ox4 will be welcome, although I do love my OX4s. The Monty’s sound like they'll be a good fit.

Stuff

Reaction score
It isn't a lot more output. The Origin's energy is mostly in the upper-mids, so brighter guitars will sound a bit hotter through that particular amp.

I tend to use the Sig-T for rhythm tracking, and the Standard with the OXs in for lead tracking. For a significant step up in output, I'd recommend the OX4 Hot Duanes or the BKP Rebel Yells.

jlee

Reaction score
The OX4 Hot Duane’s have me intrigued. Ended up cancelling the Monty’s order. Need something hotter. Also looking at Tyson Tone. His Preacher and Precious and Grace sets sound great.

Latest Threads