Monster Top

RAG7890

Reaction score
Both Joe’s and John’s LP’s are great examples of what constitutes a monster top. These older guitars are heavily enhanced to showcase the flame.

I am posting a new 2019 with no enhancer as a modern example of a monster top.

Nice Guitar but no Cigar. ;)

:cheers2:

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Both Joe’s and John’s LP’s are great examples of what constitutes a monster top. These older guitars are heavily enhanced to showcase the flame.

I am posting a new 2019 with no enhancer as a modern example of a monster top.

That 1994 model of mine that harrie posted may have some enhancement. Nevertheless, the flame is very deep and 3D. It moves around at all angles. Unlike tops that "benefit" from enhancing, that one would have been a big top without enhancing. I also own Gretta. It appears to have no enhancing, or at most, very little. Superburst has some enhancing for sure. But it would also be a big top without the enhancing.

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Where can I buy a R9 with a big monster flame top?
who has a selection of killer top les pauls for sale?

Here are some choices for monster tops. Prices vary!

Top Gun

Reaction score
Come on Matt! You owned many of those '90's monster tops. That picture you just posted may not have enhancer on the guitar but it certainly has plenty in the photo processing! There have been some great tops in recent years but none that rival that Big Leaf Western Maple of the '90's. That's reality.
Mark,

Did you read what I wrote? I said both guitars posted by Joe & John were GREAT examples of what a Monster Top is, regardless of enhancer.

You are making my point. Gibson rarely uses Big Leaf Maple any longer, I doubt they have any. I posted my 2019 as "new" example of a monster top. I would argue that it's one of the best tops produced in 2019.

BTW Joe - your 2013 posted above does have enhancer

Last edited:

RAG7890

Reaction score
Here are some choices for monster tops. Prices vary!

30 Large, what is Rick smoking? LMAO.

Well I suppose if someone has a boner for one of these, it’s pay to play.

Even the 2019 is priced too high IMHO.

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yep, that would be the last legit “Monster Top” that was in my inventory!
Yep, that would be the last legit "Monster Top" that was in MY inventory, too! :laugh2: And an awesome guitar it was!

Frank

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
30 Large, what is Rick smoking? LMAO.

Well I suppose if someone has a boner for one of these, it’s pay to play.

Even the 2019 is priced too high IMHO.

I think you can probably buy the ones from Rick for much less. But it will still be really high.

RAG7890

Reaction score
Well, I did buy Gretta from him recently! Ha! A few years ago I bought that Bloomfield. Sold it sometime later.
Yep, if only we’d know each other then. MB020 would have saved you a few $$$ John.

Swings & roundabouts I suppose.

Cheers, Rudi.

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yep, if only we’d know each other then. MB020 would have saved you a few $$$ John.

Swings & roundabouts I suppose.

Cheers, Rudi.

Well I was able to sell that Bloomie for the same price I bought it for. So I guess it ended okay. But I could have taken a huge hit! LOL

Latest Threads