Monkee's Michael Nesmith dead at 78

EasyAce

Reaction score
For a group of actors, they have quite an amazing list of hits. I've always enjoyed their music.

Rest in peace, Mike.
What people sometimes don't remember: all four Monkees actually had music experience before they were cast as the band; it may (underline that) have helped them pass the auditions:

* Mike Nesmith was a working folk artist who also landed his own publishing deal.

* Micky Dolenz had actually played in a few SoCal rock and roll bands---as a guitarist!---after his childhood acting career ended. (As a kid, he'd played the title role in the 1950s television show Circus Boy, billed under his real name George Dolenz---"Micky" came from his middle name, Michael. He learned to play the drums---left-handed---upon becoming a Monkee.)

* Davy Jones was a seasoned stage musical performer who'd been a hit in a production of Oliver! and had cut a solo album of his own not long before he became a Monkee.

* Peter Tork was a multi-instrumentalist on the New York and California folk circuits. (And, a close friend of Stephen Stills, who auditioned for The Monkees but suggested Tork go for it after Stills failed his audition.)

After the Monkees wrestled the right to play on their own records, Mike Nesmith played a guitar lick on a Monkees hit (written by Carole King and her then-husband Gerry Goffin, right before their marriage cracked up) that would be lifted almost whole by Grand Funk Railroad for a song intro of their own a few years later:

(Which proves that Grand Funk had good taste, at least---not only was the kickoff guitar lick borrowed from Nesmith's "Pleasant Valley Sunday" intro, but Mark Farner's brief guitar solo later in "I'm Your Captain"---and I still think it's Grand Funk's best song---could have been him playing John Fogerty's "Proud Mary" solo in reverse!)

RIP Mr. Nesmith.

Last edited:

GrandJunction

Reaction score
I started watching Monkees reruns when I was about 11 years old, and ever since then Nesmith has been one of my biggest musical heroes. About two years ago I had the chance to meet him and have a long converation - at which time he personally gave me permission to perform and record his songs. For the rest of my years on earth I will listen to his music and smile.

p.s. - LOVED his '54 Les Paul!

motowntom

Reaction score
RIP Mike, My first real glimpses of rock and roll... I'll never forget it.
Cheers To You.

meatball

Reaction score
My wife went down to Jacksonville to see them a month ago , She said that he sat on a chair most to th time , Saidd he did sing one song but that he sounded weak ,,, must have known something was up.. man i loved th Monkees when i 3a kid ,, I thought they were a real band ,,little did i know ,, Must have been a real Kick in the nuts to have JIMI HENDRIX AS YOUR OPENER !!!

ElChoad

Almost a dick, almost an asshole, close to nuts.
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the fact that he was the executive producer of the greatest movie ever made: REPO MAN! R.i.p., Mike!

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn, More sucky bad news. Mike was cool!
My Favorite Monkey as well.
Loved watching their TV show as a teenager, and their car was awesome!

Worn the needle out playing " Last train to Clarksville "

Latest Threads