Monkee's Michael Nesmith dead at 78

MikeyTheCat

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also always imagined what riding with Mike and PJ would have been like after reading about them in Car and Driver. Just something about road tripping with Nesmith that had a cool factor to it.

“Driving Like Crazy,”

The best of the articles that follow involve several long-distance trips O’Rourke took with Michael Nesmith, the onetime Monkee, including running the Baja 1000 down that Mexican peninsula in 1983. Gear heads will love the litany of broken car parts and gum-and-Scotch-tape methods used to fix them; everyone else will admire the loopy eloquence. For instance, this description of one of Nesmith’s vehicles: “Timerider had Nascar mufflers that made such a pretty noise it was like having a happy tomcat stuck in each ear.” And this snippet about a pre-race dinner: “We were each given a sherbet glass stuffed with one enormous shrimp. To judge by my shrimp’s gross deformity, death must have been a mercy to it.”

scott 351 wins

Reaction score
Screenshot_20211210-125806_Facebook.jpg

45WinMag

Reaction score
There was a guy on another forum who used to occasionally go off on a half-joking rant about how the Monkees cost him his opportunity to see Hendrix play live. I used to get him riled up by responding that Headquarters is a superior album to Axis: Bold as Love and he should be grateful to the Monkees. I wasn't entirely kidding - when I was a kid, I used to play my mom's copy of Headquarters and I loved that album. Mike Nesmith was an incredible talent.

Latest Threads