Mojotone GA-5 Kit

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
Using the jacks you have....

I would start with the gibson wiring scheme...
Play....

Temporarily add the mojo jumper....
Play.....

Temporarily add a 1M input resistor like the fender....
Play....

You would end up temporarily wired like the fender except for the grid stop value.

You decide which suits you best.
Got it.

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
It turns out that the leads on the caps and resistors are long enough to reach on their own without splicing them to wires for the most part. I am going to use heat shrink on some of the leads for safety but had to order more to finish. I also ordered some metal film 220k plate resistors as the carbon comp ones supplied are reading at about 200k.

Wiring with terminal strips is definitely a different experience than using a board, you have to work harder to keep the parts in place while you solder. I also had to pay attention to how stuff was routed to avoid possible short circuits.

CB91710

Reaction score
An alternative to heat shrink is to "steal" some insulation from pushback wire and slip it over the leads.

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
An alternative to heat shrink is to "steal" some insulation from pushback wire and slip it over the leads.
I thought about that, but I was thinking that the heat shrink might offer a little more protection.

bilbarstow

Premium Member
Reaction score
They also make/sell clear insulation in various wire gauges. It looks like a clear wire with the wire removed, if that makes any sense. It's not meant to be loose fit (although you can buy a larger size than the gauge you are working with). I got mine at Fry's Electronics (stocked with the bulk heat shrink). I think they actually referred to it as spaghetti ?

It isn't a great solution for use with stranded wire, because pushing it over the stranded wire often results in at least one strand getting buggered. But it's really great for insulating Caps and Resistors. Or with solid core wire.

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
I only had to use a little heat shrink on the power tube cathode resistor and cap. I got it all soldered up, plugged it in to the current limiter and everything checked out. I fired it up and it worked great. It sounds a little less boxy than my Champ clone, is a little louder and has a bit more grind. At full volume it really compresses and grinds.

0A63E1A0-5FBD-42AF-BE85-AA0FCBBC70E2.jpeg

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
Oops, I just noticed that I soldered the V1 electrolytic cap on backward.

My Les Paul Classifieds