Mojotone ES-335 Wiring Harness?

grayd8

Reaction score
Look for forum vendors that have harnesses with the CTS 550k pots, those things are the Cadillac of volume pots.
Jonesy and MSSC both cary harnesses with them, the taper on those pots are smooth, no massive jump from 8-10.

I go with the Jonesy premium harness with luxe bee's for my Historics to maintain the vintage look.

99_Revolutions

Reaction score
Look for forum vendors that have harnesses with the CTS 550k pots, those things are the Cadillac of volume pots.
Jonesy and MSSC both cary harnesses with them, the taper on those pots are smooth, no massive jump from 8-10.

What's the difference between 500k and 550k?

grayd8

Reaction score
What's the difference between 500k and 550k?

50k of impedance, it basically guarantees that you wont get a pot rated under 500k, also they have different materials inside compared to other cheaper volume pots.

Not all CTS pots are made the same. CTS makes pots for many different vendors. They are all made to that specific vendors specs and vary in quality. Some are 20-30% tolerance some are 10% other are 5%. Many are 500K but there are some that are built to 550K specs. The types of tapers vary,(linear, audio, AB etc.) many have a sudden volume jump from 10-8 other have a smooth taper from 10-0. Some have silk screened tracks other have the better made carbon tracks. Some CTS pots have Zinc cast threads others have Brass threads and brass shafts. So just because it says CTS on it does not mean it will be just like another CTS pot.

You can read the thread here:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/tonefreaks/195146-all-cts-pots-same.html

Reaction score
Just for the record all CTS pots use the same ol carbon path. Other specs such as taper, tolerance, and bushing/shaft material will vary.

jbash

Reaction score
Fwiw- I have bought 3 harness' from mojotone as well as some other brands. The mojotone is good.stuf. Great bang for the buck.

grayd8

Reaction score
I build my own harnesses

Ive built a few myself, enough to know these guys have more stock to pick and choose from to get a closer match than I will get by ordering 4 pots from mojo or WD music.

jbash

Reaction score
And what were the other brands? Cheaper?

More expensive. One was an Emerson with their "bees". There are too many brand loyalists on here (and the internet in general) who will get offended if I mention the other. Not that either the Emerson or the other are not high quality units. They ARE high quality units. Just that I didn't find the extra money bought me much, if anything, more than the Mojotone kits do.

My point is, there is nothing wrong with the mojotone kits-they are 95% of the way there for a noticable savings.

DavidRamey

Reaction score
The last 4 pots that I ordered, I asked them to match the resistance within 10 Kohm. The lowest pot measured 507 Kohm and the highest pot measured 513 Kohm. The pots that I use for volume are CTS 500K linear taper, 10% tolerance, brass bushing, brass shaft. For my tone, I use the same CTS 500K pots except audio taper. I use shielded 2 conductor push back wiring and Russian K40Y-9 PIO capacitors. Total cost = $35 to $40.00 and I have exactly what I want instead of what somebody builds or supplies in a kit.

Mookakian

Reaction score
Question is... how do you like your pots to work...

*A gradual rise at the start and even sweep up to 10, or a fast rise with a jump at 8-10 for fast clean ups & gain boost by knocking the volume back or forth a little..?

I like em to rise slowly and no jump in the sweep, great for swells and im not use to the little jump some cts pots have from 8-10. Between all the custom cts and bourns you really can be picky... if ur teck knows what to use to get u whete u wanna be. This is all fine tuning... any cts/bourns pot will provide quality signal transfer for great tone... the sweep and resistance is what modern guitarists should be focusing on when it comes to pots...

*Caps... same deal... what do u play and is a more reserved, softer attack needed or do u need more of a tight feel. PIO or Mylar/Ceramic. Value will depend on how fast you like your high end to roll off. I like .033uf for modern bridge buckers but .022uf for warm vintage clean/crunch tones, with gain a .022uf does very little due to the added compression and high end associated. Higher value means dark faster as you roll off and more darkness on zero compared to the lower value

Mr. Satchmo

Reaction score
For 90 dollars you can get a harness from CreamTone with vintage Bumblebees that have drifted into spec. Lonnie can build anything in my experience haha. If you want to contact him, he could custom build you a harness for the 335. I own three of his harnesses, and they are amazing. CTS 550K pots so that they are guaranteed to at least measure at 500K. Lonnie is a vendor from here and I have dealt with him many times,and I've always had excellent experiences.

23722988553_524c8d220b_b.jpg

23507646804_1e387108fa_b.jpg

http://www.creamtone.com/collections/creamtone-electronics/products/creamtone-vintage-bumblebee-cts-long-shaft-harness-for-gibson-usa-les-paul

Latest Threads