Mods to USA Blues Deville 4X10

martin H

Reaction score
I’m coming into ownership a USA-made Fender 4X10 Blues Deville next month. I's not exactly something I've chosen to buy, but part of a deal too complex to go into here. I played it last week and I have a couple of questions for the guru’s out there.

[1] It seems over-gained in the front end. Last week I was playing it with a drummer in a living room rehearsal setting, and ended up with the volume on the clean channel set to about 0.5. There is a tiny area between “off” and “too loud for home use.” I understand that this is a recognized problem with this particular amp, and that changing one or more of the 12AX7/ECC83s in the front end for something with a bit less gain can help. I have always though that a good swap for a 12AX7 is a 12AT7. Now I’m seeing some posts indicating that a 12AY7 is a better swap. Any thoughts on this, anyone?

[2] I know Fromel dos a mod kit to change the tone controls on the Blues Deville. Anyone know of any alternate mods for these

alnico59

Reaction score
I've always used a 12ay7 for v1 in my tweed amps. Now the Deville other than aesthetics is not a tweed amp but you get what I mean. A JAN 5751 could work also if you find the 12ay7 too much to the other side of the scale.

I had one of those years ago with the best relic/lacquer job. Looked like the real deal and then some. Kind of wished I had kept it. With the pedals out now I could make it work. They are loud.

Latest Threads