Modifying a Collectors Choice affect value?

mortors

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does changing pickups, wiring harness etc. effect the value of a Collectors Choice if you keep all the original parts and can put back as it was, does the original solder joints matter? I have a #37 Carmilita and am thinking of swapping out the pickups just to try something different. But, with the sale prices of Collectors Choice guitars in the last 3 months, "especially Carmilita prices" Is this a real concern, or just overthinking a non-issue

Last edited:

Rogueaverage616

60Th Anniversary R9
Reaction score
Since it’s a Les paul, that is modeld after an actual known burst, then yes

If you keep the origional parts, then the next buyer might get you, on the fact that the solder joints were touched

Then again though…since they don’t make them anymore…you might still be safe, depending on witch one it is..and how much the next person wants it

But who knows.However i would think that the CC# that is untouched will command the higher price

Redsquare

Reaction score
Not for me personally, but a lot of interwebs peoples probably want the original solder joints, factory dust, and Tom Murthy’s glans dna all over the guitar to keep its value.

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
Here's something to consider:
Not just value, but the size of your potential customer base.

Some folks will pay the same price if they are confident the guitar is as good as new.
Mods are now un-modded?
Just provide tons of clear pics and detailed information.

But plenty of others will turn their nose up at it, even with a greatly reduced price.

Then there are a few idiots out there (like me) who will buy it with the mods still in place if they like them.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I had a CC#7, I kept all the original parts and sold it for more than I bought it for....

Now if you do stuff to it, like shave the neck or change the fretboard, refinish it ect....then it could loose its "value" ....there is something to be said about setting up YOUR investment guitar to suit you ...you do Want to interact with it ...ie Play it, fiddle with knobs and electronics ....sure ....but it should be complete when it goes to a new owner ....

I would not buy a les paul if it had bright orange spray paint on it....or stickers all over it.....

Would you? I have seen some fked up guitars out there that I would absolutely buy....but most importantly, I need to be involved with the instrument on a musical / creative level....I buy Gibson's because I like how they respond....

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't tell you what to do with Carmelita. I have a CC#7 and have a set of Throbak pups in it and RS Superpots just in the volume positions. I do have the original pups. Not sure about the original pots. IF I would ever sell it probably wouldn't pay any attention to the original equipment comments and just price it with full disclosure. I wanted to make the guitar a better instrument for me and that's what I've done.

asapmaz

Reaction score
Everything makes a difference, whether affecting value or the buyer pool.
You’ll get a million different opinions but it is what it is. Mint, factory original is the only way to maximize sale-ability of any instrument.

mjross

Reaction score
To some it will make a difference and others, not so much. I keep all the original components with the guitar if I modify it. If I was ever to sell I’d inform the buyer that it has been modified but can be returned to original. I’ve purchased a few higher end guitars that have been modified but the original components came with the guitar.

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
If the modifications aren’t permanent .. I wouldn’t worry about it if ya keep all of the original parts should you sell it.

framos

Reaction score
I made a few changes to my CC#11 Rosie. Hope not ever need to sell her, she's a keeper. Honestly I got tired of keeping my guitars to the next owner. Life is short.

Does it hurt value? As with any transaction, a possible buyer will always try to find a reason to ask to pay less for your item, whatever it is, even if it's an obvious upgrade.

In the Reissue guitar market it is even worse, since most people get a little confused and think they are dealing with a real vintage guitar, where originality would be at a premium, not a modern reissue.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea shoulda kept my Shanks …. (CC7) great …. No awesome …guitar….

It was just heavier and therefore not taken to play often

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea shoulda kept my Shanks …. (CC7) great …. No awesome …guitar….

It was just heavier and therefore not taken to play often
Mine is shade over 9lbs. That's the sweet spot IMHO. I don't do long gigs anymore so it's not an issue.

LP59Burst

Reaction score
I recently posted on the same subject, and there are lots of similar posts here already too. Anyway, I bought an '03 Les Paul Brazilian R7 "Stinger'. They only made 57 of them so they're rare.

Since the "Stinger" models were made in such a limited run if I modded it it would definitely decrease the number of potential buyers who would be willing to pay the "value of rarity" mark up for such a limited edition guitar. Those buyers would for the most part consider a modded guitar of this type a negative with some (many?) possibly opting out just for that reason alone. So, that could impact the price due to less overall demand.

I decided not to mod mine. I did however do a thorough adjustment exercise on the BB2/BB3's and after an hour or so of fiddling around with pickup height and pole piece adjustments I'm really liking the tone now as built.

Latest Threads