Modifications to a REALLY weird guitar...

Barnaby

Reaction score
I haven't been posting here for a while, but thought I might share a bit of recent work on a strange instrument - the Casio EG-5. This is a cool guitar with a cassette player and speaker in its plastic body. However, as you'll see in the second video, when I took it apart, I was surprised by some aspects of the space-age construction. Even so, my modifications are a bit more old-school.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
sure is nice to see you back on the forum exhibiting your talent and sharing your expertise. miss the 'good ole days' of barnelydom. unique guitar indeed for a unique individual.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
sure is nice to see you back on the forum exhibiting your talent and sharing your expertise. miss the 'good ole days' of barnelydom. unique guitar indeed for a unique individual.
I second that.... sure miss Barnaby's posts!

lowatter

Reaction score
I'll third that. I like the body shape and bevels etc. I'd like to see a solid body version of the design. Maybe with a built-in bluetooth mp3 player and amp with decent sound. Take a JBL Flip 4 and frankenstein it. Hmmmmm.:hmm:

Last edited:

DaveR

Reaction score
Good to see you pop in again Barnaby! You were the biggest inspiration for me to pickup the guitar building hobby when I first started hanging out here 6 or 7 years back. Glad to see you’re still at it and that oddball Casio guitar is super cool!

scott 351 wins

Reaction score
I think that guitar was a practice type guitar to help figure out licks and such. Slow down an Yngwie lick and have a go with trying to sort it out by ear.

Paul46

Reaction score
Who else went :wtf: when the back was taken off? Genius really.

Great video, thanks for posting.

Barnaby

Reaction score
Who else went :wtf: when the back was taken off? Genius really.

Great video, thanks for posting.
Thanks! Yeah, I was really surprised to find that in there. It's interesting construction and has so much potential. It genuinely does sound a lot better with the wood block in there and I think I could do more along those lines by constructing some kind of internal speaker enclosure and dampening vibrating parts.

The whole centre part is, essentially, a guitar assemblage in its own right. You could detach it from the plastic body, add a jack to the pickup and have a playable instrument. It's an unexpectedly cool thing.

jkes01

Reaction score
Awesome little project Mr. B. That tape player is next level stuff. Thanks for sharing. I have a couple of Squires with a built in amp, really fun to play.

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
When I read the title, I thought how weird can it be?

I have to confess, it was weirder than I was expecting. I think the only thing left to do now is to wait for a nice warm evening when you have some free time, pour yourself a nice cold drink and see just how long six of those batteries last. I'll bet the drink will last longer.

Welcome back, Barnaby.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
knowing b, he can engineer it to run off of a bank of car batteries, or better yet, a solar panel. of course, he'd build his own from scratch not matter which option he chose.