Modest Gibson Collection

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
Yes, a Les Trem II was about 1/3 the cost of a Bigsby and a lot lighter. It was easy to install and the tuning is stable if you avoid deep dives or multi step pull ups.

Thanks for the response @efstop. I have been thinking about getting one for quite a while but with everything going on in the world i put that on hold. I wouldn't be doing anything too wild with it just adding a little flavour but thats good to know so thank you for your info. I assume you also put a roller saddle style bridge on too ?? I'm new to a trem on a LP style guitar but i figure it would be nice to have one just for stuff you need a little of that business.

efstop

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response @efstop. I have been thinking about getting one for quite a while but with everything going on in the world i put that on hold. I wouldn't be doing anything too wild with it just adding a little flavour but thats good to know so thank you for your info. I assume you also put a roller saddle style bridge on too ?? I'm new to a trem on a LP style guitar but i figure it would be nice to have one just for stuff you need a little of that business.
Nope, I'm using the stock Nashville bridge. I just use mild vibrato now and then so it seems to work as well as my Squier Jazzmaster with the barrel saddles. I got my trem from Cosmo Music for $129 + tax and free shipping.
Bigsbies are cool, but not $400 cool :)

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
Thanks @efstop i guess i need metric for my mij lester i want to convert and i was wondering if i could just get away with the stock bridge as i won't be wanking on it. I hear you on the price of a Bigsby... i'd need at least a Gold one as well so they are even more. When a part is as much as the entire guitar it gets kinda hard to take.

efstop

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks @efstop When a part is as much as the entire guitar it gets kinda hard to take.
No sh!t :laugh2:
The pickups, trem and case cost me more than the blow out price I paid for the guitar at BestBuy. Plus the guard, new nut and maybe a set or two of knobs...
But there isn't a fat necked LP with mini hums available from Gibson that I know of, so I'm not complaining.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
@efstop those were some sweet deals back then, I got a bunch of those $400 50's SG's and made a nice guitar out of them a year or so later. We'll never see cheap Gibson prices like those again. Now its like $2000 for a new Gibson Studio. That aint gonna happen for this boy.

Thanks again

endial

Reaction score
@brokentoeswalker -If I may chime in here in regards to the Les Trem II, I'll back everything efstop said.

I have one on my Fret King Elise and I can't imagine that guitar without it. Nashville bridge (no roller bridge). Stock nut. Works great. No dive-bombs here either, but you know what you need to do those if you're going for that. It is an excellent vibrato bar design. I love it and want another.

My Elise (since efstop is showing off)-

1611616898289.png

:yesway:

efstop

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
@brokentoeswalker -If I may chime in here in regards to the Les Trem II, I'll back everything efstop said.

I have one on my Fret King Elise and I can't imagine that guitar without it. Nashville bridge (no roller bridge). Stock nut. Works great. No dive-bombs here either, but you know what you need to do those if you're going for that. It is an excellent vibrato bar design. I love it and want another.

My Elise (since efstop is showing off)-

View attachment 514467

:yesway:
I've already contemplated installing one on my ES-235 but I doubt the case would close as it has a flat lid.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Modest collection = Excellent taste.

Simply outstanding group of gear amigo.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
@endial did you have to get a metric one for your Fret King ??

Edit. I just noticed they ship wiith both metric and the US kind. That's handy.

Last edited:

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
Great Info guys thanks.

I think Cosmo has a pretty good deal on a gold model, just $10 more than chrome or nickel. That's not bad at all.

endial

Reaction score
I really should clarify something here.

I bought the Elise used from a forum member (I thank him to myself every time I pick it up) with the Les Trem installed.
It was one of the very "plus" reasons I wanted it, as it was like a free tryout with the Les Trem. I figured if I didn't like it, no biggie, just swap it out. It's a pretty awesome guitar too. Very fortunate to have it and I very highly recommend both, the Elise, and the Les Trem II.

The Les Trem is easy to install, and to adjust (nothing more really than handle position). It seems a no-brainer, because it kinda is a no-brainer. Some have complained of the handle loosening (I've read) but once you get the concept of a pair of grub screws holding it in place, and not just one, you get it. It works and holds fine.

Latest Threads