Modern Travel is Pretty Great

DotStudio

Reaction score
I just got back from traveling all over with the wife over the past month or so. There are so many tools that make it easy to travel now. If you have the means, it's a great time to get around.

tripmasters.com - My wife used this to book the majority of our trip. It's sort of like Groupon getaways, but completely customizable. I thought it looked kind of fishy, but after going through the experience, everything went as smoothly as possible. Out of curiosity I tried to see what it would cost to book an equivalent trip on my own. It would cost approximately four times more to book independently. That was good enough proof for me.

Verizon travel pass - I stumbled upon this when I was wondering about international phone plans. For $10 a day ($5 in Mexico/Canada) you get full access to your phone plan internationally. It only charges the $10 if you actually use data or minutes on any given day. That may seem a little steep, but if you have ever accidently been charged international roaming charges, you'll realize this is a godsend. You just add the travel pass, select the countries you plan on visiting, and that's it. It was amazing to walk around Europe using my phone to find places to eat, using GPS, keeping in contact with loved ones, etc. I'm sure there are cheaper options out there, but if you have Verizon, check it out.

Uber/Lyft - It is soooooo much easier to get around in cities now. Again, there are probably cheaper options (bus/train), but it takes all of the guess work out of getting around. It's made traveling so much more enjoyable. They'll probably get regulated out of existence eventually, but for now, I'm loving it.

Airbnb - My wife and I wanted to be right in the middle of everything when we were in Rome. We found an entire apartment with an included rooftop sitting area for less than a half decent hotel would cost right in the heart of Rome. We've used it all over the US, even last minute, and have found some amazing places/deals.

Credit/ATM Fees - This depends on the terms of any given card, but the fees were much lower this time for transaction fees compared to when I went 15 years ago. I usually travel on business, so I don't notice this typically, but the fees were quite reasonable.

the Euro - If you need physical cash, the ability to travel throughout Europe with a single currency is awesome. This is another one that eventually might fall apart, but it's great for the current traveler.

Anyways, just thought I'd share some of the things that made our trip run so smoothly. YMMV :wave:

Latest Threads