Modern Slim Taper compared to Early 90's Standard Neck?

darrenw5094

Reaction score
My 2 Gibson Les Paul Standards are from 92 and 93. Is there any difference between their neck profile and the modern Slim taper?

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but usually Studios, Standards and Customs from the early 90s have '59 rounded neck. The slim taper 60s neck were featured of the then new Classics in this period. I found this '94 spec sheet, should be close enough to yours.

94spec.jpg

jbash

Reaction score
The very late 80s-early 90s standards had pretty substantial rounded back necks. Now that's compared to everything they had been doing for the previous 15 years give or take- , most of which was thin and often flat on the back. So the new "Henry Standards " seemed really big.

That's why I loved mine so much BITD. Still wish I had that guitar.

jbash

Reaction score
Ah, the days when people still noticed Joe Perry…
They were very relevant again at the time, having made their comeback post addictions. Nowadays he's just "some old guy who used to be in some band my dad liked..they had long hair and wore makeup and $hit...."

Nobody EVER noticed poor Brad Whitford :laugh2:

darrenw5094

Reaction score
So, I'm right in thinking that my '93 standard neck is thicker than a 2021 neck?

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's unfair, right?! Brad is an amazing player and saved Joe's ass countless times.

So, I'm right in thinking that my '93 standard neck is thicker than a 2021 neck?
It depends on the model.
Standard 50s should have a chunkier neck, similar to yours.
Standard 60s/Classics/Studios have slim taper neck.
Moderns have asymmetrical slim taper neck.
Tributes have "rounded" neck profile, whatever that means.

darrenw5094

Reaction score
It's unfair, right?! Brad is an amazing player and saved Joe's ass countless times.

It depends on the model.
Moderns have asymmetrical slim taper neck.
Tributes have "rounded" neck profile, whatever that means.
I must add that i have picked up a 2018 Gibson Les Paul Standard in Blood Orange Burst and the neck is thinnest ever i felt on a LP. It's assymetrical slim taper.

voided76

Reaction score
That depends highly. there's several different standards and the classics and the traditionals to think about these days. There's a lot more neck profiles these days to think about than back then.

The new school 50's standard is still a chunky boy like the 90's standards.
the new school 60's standard is a lot more like a slim taper or an SG neck
classics are 60's style and traditionals are more like 50's again.

Last edited:

voided76

Reaction score

That's the kind of thing I'd be looking for were I in your shoes. 90's guitars being branded the new gold standard of gibson vintage w/o being grail guitars has skyrocketed them. a 3000 dollar LPC from the 90's is now a 6000 dollar LPC.

tzd

Reaction score
It depends on the model.
Studios back in the early 90s (the era of this discussion) had rounded 50s neck. Not very fat, but it’s rounded not slim-taper.

E.T.

Reaction score
Word has it the early '90s standards used a '59 neck profile, of which I have a newer (mid 2000s) version. I have two slim tapers as well, one from the early '90s and the other from the mid 2000s, of which the early '90s one is thinner at the 1st fret, thicker at the 12th (both by about 0.03") and has less shoulder- I would guess similar differences apply to the early '90s vs mid 2000s '59, within hand-finishing tolerances.

All that said the '59 neck was the "make or break " feature of the guitar it's on, and I don't really notice the difference between it and the newer slim taper, but mostly due to the ST shoulder so it might be a more noticeable transition between the early '90s versions. That said, the only "holy crap!" moment I've ever had with necks was comparing the '90s ST to an Epiphone '56 profile- that thing was like a bat coated in glue.

voided76

Reaction score
Word has it the early '90s standards used a '59 neck profile, of which I have a newer (mid 2000s) version. I have two slim tapers as well, one from the early '90s and the other from the mid 2000s, of which the early '90s one is thinner at the 1st fret, thicker at the 12th (both by about 0.03") and has less shoulder- I would guess the same differences apply to the early '90s vs mid 2000s '59.

All that said the '59 neck was the "make or break " feature of the guitar it's on, and I don't really notice the difference between it and the newer slim taper, but mostly due to the shoulder so it might be a more noticeable transition between the early '90s versions. That said, the only "holy crap!" moment I've ever had with necks was comparing the '90s ST to an Epiphone '56 profile- that thing was like a bat.
57 backwards gibson necks were VERY chunky boys. The 59 caught acclaim by being both chunky for chords but well rounded to lend itself a little ways both ways between cowboy chords and leadwork/single note playing. I'm not suprized a "56" neck feels barbarically chunky to you. They really just kinda were. 57 and 58 were generally Bulky necks. the 59 was a really big C. and from late 59 through 60 they did a sort of transition in that they slimmed and slimmed finishing with the SG's birth in 61, the wide hips SG neck being the end of the line lol when the LP came back in 68 it had a thin neck but still C shaped unlike the SG. That's most of the talk between 50's or 60's. If someone just says 50's neck well it might be a 55 that feels like the neck off a big cowboy chord concert accoustic guitar. but most often it's to represent a 59-ish profile.

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Studios back in the early 90s (the era of this discussion) had rounded 50s neck. Not very fat, but it’s rounded not slim-taper.
If you read my whole post, you'll see I'm referring to the 2021 line.

Also I had just stated that on post #3
"...usually Studios, Standards and Customs from the early 90s have '59 rounded neck."

Please read more carefully.

catstrat

Reaction score
I have a 1990 Custom and it is definitely not a modern slim taper. It's much more akin to a '59 style neck, perhaps a little (I mean a little) slimmer.

Its a little (I mean a little) bigger than my 1997 Standards.

I have no idea if this helps :)

voided76

Reaction score
I had a 92 Wine Red LPC and it had a 50's neck. Fantastic guitar, fantastic neck.

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently this poster/catalog is from '92-'94.
It checks out.

Latest Threads