Modelling Myths

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Vid is a little old, 2 years, but great points. I would say, that for most average players, if you actually want the same gear as a Joe B, well you'll never afford what he uses. But with a Modeller, you can.

smk506

Reaction score
Our ears are only so good, not hard to fool these days. There’s still something about cranking real amps, but I have to say that there’s something to be said about the versatility and ease of digital these days too.

I haven’t turned on a ‘real’ amp for more than a few minutes this year. All my playing has been done through a boss katana.

It’s just too easy to use, and I STILL haven’t even hooked up a computer to it, I’m running it stock out of the box.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
I used to be a modeling "luddite", but then my younger sister bought me a Fender Mustang V2 for Christmas a few years ago, and I was an instant convert.

I still love my Marshals and Fenders, but if you need effects on the fly, they're awesome!

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got jug amps stacked up, a killer early Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 w/ the big Sanpera, and yet I play thru my Spark all the time at home.....

Tech has advanced big time.... The Spark for sub $300 is mind blowing.... Always been a fan of the Axe, just couldn't justify buying one....

mdubya

Reaction score
I "cranked up" the 2204 with my JHS Supreme fuzz last week. It sounded great. I played everything I could think of that I had been wanting to hear again through a "real" amp. It all sounded good.

But I gotta tell you, I could not wait to get back to the AX8, loaded with its endless versatility and tones and fx options. The experience of playing through a modeler is different from a real amp, no doubt. But with the right modeling platform, the experience is every bit as incredible as playing through that mythical generic over referenced "tube" amp.

If your priority is to play loud and proud, the real thing cannot be beat.

With a modeler, "loud and proud" is totally unnecessary. You can do anything you want, with hardly any limitation.

Maybe it is because I got to exercise the loud amp thing to my heart's content? Maybe I am just getting old?

The 2204 and silver face Champ are just cool backdrops for the AX8 and Presonus rig, now.

Last edited:

mdubya

Reaction score
I used to be a modeling "luddite", but then my younger sister bought me a Fender Mustang V2 for Christmas a few years ago, and I was an instant convert.

I still love my Marshals and Fenders, but if you need effects on the fly, they're awesome!
I dialed in the Deluxe model in the Mustang 1 to sound as good as my Champ and Champion 600 (and then some) and dialed in the British 60's model to be the warmer mid range equal of the Deluxe model, ran my Maestro fuzz and Bad Monkey in front and used whatever combo of tremolo/vibe/harmonizer/delay/reverb struck my fancy for the day. I could have lived happily that way for a very long time. The switch on mine broke and I took the plunge into the Fractal world. Otherwise I'd still be playing the Mustang. Best $100 low volume amp ever. I miss mine.

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Our ears are only so good, not hard to fool these days. There’s still something about cranking real amps, but I have to say that there’s something to be said about the versatility and ease of digital these days too.

I haven’t turned on a ‘real’ amp for more than a few minutes this year. All my playing has been done through a boss katana.

It’s just too easy to use, and I STILL haven’t even hooked up a computer to it, I’m running it stock out of the box.
I only own one two tube ampa (I won't call just them real amps. They are all real amps, just with different means of amplifying). And,, they are collectible. Put away and protected.

I still have some cabs I don't need, including a beat up Avatar 4x12. I really should think about selling the Celestions and WGS speakers in it. Get more for them parted out, than the cab as a whole.

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've got jug amps stacked up, a killer early Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 w/ the big Sanpera, and yet I play thru my Spark all the time at home.....

Tech has advanced big time.... The Spark for sub $300 is mind blowing.... Always been a fan of the Axe, just couldn't justify buying one....
Yep, the little Spark continues to amaze me for the price.

Reactions: ehb

Latest Threads