Model Numbers Explained

chop2

Reaction score
Is there anyone out there (I'm sure there will be many) who can explain how to read the model number on my Les Paul. LPS6GTNH1
Cheers, Chop

Tim Plains

Reaction score
LPS6GTNH1
Les Paul Standard, 60s neck, gold top, nickel hardware.
All Gibson guitars have a 1 on the end. Means the guitar was built to Gibson's standards.
If it's a 2, the guitar is a second. Gibson stopped selling factory seconds in 1985.

Last

The Cleaner
Reaction score
Les Paul 60's Neck Gold Top Nickel Hardware (1) signifies that it is not b stock or a 2nd. Not sure why they still do this as they no longer sell b or 2nd stock?

sc-closer

Reaction score
Reviving an ancient thread....

My model number has a 3 on the end. I think it is because it was a special run made for Sam Ash.

LPTDSZSGCH3

Les Paul Traditional Zebra coils Satin Gold Chrome hardware. Not sure of the 'S'

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Premium Member
Reaction score
The first "S" is the indicator for special run for Sam Ash. The last number is almost always a 1, unless they've done multiple runs of a guitar. Those guitars were the third in a series of special runs for Sam Ash. The first was the Traditional 1960 in Ebony. The second was the Traditional 1960 in Trans Red. And the third was the Traditional 1960 Satin Honeyburst and Satin Gold.

I know for years it used to indicate factory 2nds when it was a 2 on the end, but I believe once they stopped selling 2nds that was no longer needed, and now it indicates the series.

sanchorl

Reaction score
Reviving an ancient thread....

My model number has a 3 on the end. I think it is because it was a special run made for Sam Ash.

LPTDSZSGCH3

Les Paul Traditional Zebra coils Satin Gold Chrome hardware. Not sure of the 'S'
You people are experts on these codes! I have been breaking my head trying to understand what the hell I ended with as I purchased another guitar: Supposedly a LP Studio Goldtop, but not really sure. Has got a code that goes LPST5HTGSCH3. Any thoughts on it? :applause:

tzd

Reaction score
You people are experts on these codes! I have been breaking my head trying to understand what the hell I ended with as I purchased another guitar: Supposedly a LP Studio Goldtop, but not really sure. Has got a code that goes LPST5HTGSCH3. Any thoughts on it? :applause:
Les Paul Studio Tribute 50s-neck Humbuckers Top Gold Satin Chrome Hardware 3rd-run.

sanchorl

Reaction score
Les Paul Studio Tribute 50s-neck Humbuckers Top Gold Satin Chrome Hardware 3rd-run.
Damn, thank you very much! How much do I owe you for this consultancy job? :D

Seriously, when you compare the letters with the information, it becomes very logical. Only thing, what does a third run mean?

rockstar232007

Reaction score

Seriously, when you compare the letters with the information, it becomes very logical. Only thing, what does a third run mean?
It means it's the third model within the series, which vary slightly from previous models.

12guitdown

Reaction score

Yeah I have a first run of the studio GTs, 2011, where the back is a honey stained finish. I think by the third model they went dark didn't they? That would be a variation.

Good info here Maynard.

Latest Threads