modding my special II maybe

L.Campionero

Banned
Reaction score
i thinking about doing some mods on mine but i wouldnt know where to start, does anyone have any suggestions on how to make it "better"?

For starters mr beginnergodguy, replace the neck, body, tuners, caps, pots, pickups, switch, bridge and tailpiece with genune 1959 Les Paul parts. Then get Billy Gibons to play it for you...

monami

Reaction score
well the op is getting kicked in the ass for something i don't get but....

Epiphone Les Paul Special II in Ebony at Gear4Music.com

the specs are pretty good really! i have a basswood acoustic, strat and les paul and they all have great tone. i have also modded cheap guitars just to try out hardware, for some it's cosmetics.
the mods i'd go all out on are:
1. turning it into a dc!
2. all gold hardware! (i hate silver stuff.)
3. depending on the sound perhaps a magnet swap.
number 1 on that list is too adventurous?
number 2 just cosmetic and not worth the expense? what colour is it?
number 3 is a good mod and cheap as the pups are ceramic. i got 4 alnico magnets for £20 off ebay so... maybe that then!
also cut the wires to the tone control if you don't use them. (or is it just the middle wire??? i forget.) that's a cheaper mod than faffing with caps.

Paragon

Reaction score
They aren't that bad of a guitar. Can certainly do worse (and a lot better) but we are talking about a beginner guitar here. I had the LP100. Those have a "mahogony" body and neck but dimensions are still the same. Also have 2 vol and 2 tone knobs. The body is too thin for me as well as the neck. It is a good guitar if you can do the work on it yourself. Not sure I would sink a lot of money into one. I tweaked quite a few things to help it play better but ended up ditching it because of the thinness and for the money.

Ralph Fenix

Reaction score
Um, don't mean to sound stupid or anything, but why do i get the feeling there's a lot of hate against the OP?:p

Tanman711

Reaction score
Oh fuck..... not another one....
We just got over OneSliverBurst.
Please just post something stupid again like this till we have fully healed from the first one

But look on the brightside, maybe if he paints it, he might actually like it enough to play it :p

Atomic

Reaction score
well to answer your question on a serious note (yes this got me in trouble before..:rolleyes:,) the best mod you could do for your special II is to bring it to a luthier and have a setup done.

get them to intonate it, change the strings, file the nut properly, set the neck relief, etc.. all these are things that can be done to your guitar for a small amount of money. thats your first step to getting a nice instrument that will play well and make you want to play it.

from there on in, just practice and play your guitar like its worth a million bucks.

Paragon

Reaction score
I think he may have taken our advice and is sitting on the bench for a while.

TeleDog

Pain in the Rear!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I tried to help this kid, took some heat for it, and turns out he was trying to scam some stuff out of people with the stolen gear crap.

You know, you want something, you pay for it. Simple, and a lesson you need to learn. Trying to scam people makes the difference between a mistake and some scheme to defraud!

Oh, and if you ask your dad to pitch in, don't give him a story, he sure knows better (I hope, for his own sake).

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This Doucher just told us the other day that this guitar was stolen while he was on vacation. He then edited posts and generally lied his ass off, while asking where he could get a free guitar.

Basically, he is a pint sized scam artist - just not smart enough to get the job done.

I still suggest that he gets a new user name - no one is ever going to take him seriously around here. Myself included.

larsjr

Reaction score
You could change a capacitor. I've gone for the luxe bumblebees or gray tigers. You'll be surprised at how much difference it makes. An RS kit would be a good idea 'cause you'll get great pots as well. What kind of bridge is on it? You could try some locking hardware from tonepros. Try to do some adjustments to the pole pieces as well!
Have fun:)
-Lars

Sorry about this post. Didn't mean to be helpful. I went ahead and read some of your previous threads and posts. :slap:

Captain Zap

Reaction score
"ok im just now starting and can only play a few riffs, (scom intro, november rain outro solo, paradise cidy riff paradise city intro, paradise city solo, sweet home alabama intro, and a few others) and im realizing im not as good as i wish i ws, and im wondering what i should learn that i could get the most out of learning, im thinking probably something from the pentatonics or bues scale or something, maybe some blues music, or some thing kind of like guns n roses, anyoe able to thin of something i should learn?"

Learn to tell the TRUTH, for goodness sakes alive learn to spell....Oh and take some of the good advice you got here from the few good people that are still posting and trying to help you out….Zap off:

:wow:

since when

Reaction score
so apparently whoever asked this question is a retard but...

june043.jpg

i got my special II a few years ago
had it layin around as well as a few other cheap guitars as well
one day i decided i was going to swap the pick ups out!
oh boy sounds like fun right?
well the other guitar was a devlin warlock? i dont know
got it from ebay for 80 bucks, overall not a bad ax..pretty cheap tho.

000_0366_Compressor.jpg

so i took the pups from that plopped em in the special II and they do give a differnt sound..
warmer almost. i wouldnt say better tho..mainly because i fucked with it myself
i have no idea what the output is on em is, but i feel like im only gettin about 40% of the power
i had with the originals
although these look spiffy and tone is different, i shouldnt of messed with not really kn owing what i was doing
probably cooked the pots or messed something up when i did the sodering job
i dont know

so needless to say it needs a bit of work and i should of just left it alone
but life goes on you live and you learn.

ill get it looked at eventually

aznricey

Reaction score
Hah lesson learned, I own a Samick AV3 (Les paul copy), a friend sold it to me for $60, and I felt bad for paying so little for such a beautiful guitar so i paid another $60 for a set up job. After awhile(If you've seen my only thread i started here), I had to fix it.MY POINT IS, its a cheap guitar, unless the pickups are a good deal,i would do nothing to this guitar except for changing PUPs.I didn't even end up paying for it to get fixed, took the risk of doing everything myself.

"Customizing a cheap guitar" is like attempting to draw a REAL nice painting/art piece on a tissue paper, no matter how good you've done the job, you've done it on a tissue paper, and your mother will just toss it in the toilet..... you risk having it not being playable.

Im surprised alot of you guys had the patience knowing how much of a liar he is, at least from what i've herd lol.

River

Reaction score
<snip>"Customizing a cheap guitar" is like attempting to draw a REAL nice painting/art piece on a tissue paper, no matter how good you've done the job, you've done it on a tissue paper, and your mother will just toss it in the toilet..... you risk having it not being playable.

Im surprised alot of you guys had the patience knowing how much of a liar he is, at least from what i've herd lol.
Well... not sure whom you think holds the soggy paper...nor who "he" is.

I put a lot of money into a "cheap" guitar and don't regret a single dollar. :hmm:

joethfc

Reaction score
You could change a capacitor. I've gone for the luxe bumblebees or gray tigers. You'll be surprised at how much difference it makes. An RS kit would be a good idea 'cause you'll get great pots as well. What kind of bridge is on it? You could try some locking hardware from tonepros. Try to do some adjustments to the pole pieces as well!
Have fun:)
-Lars

do you know what number the special 2 cap is; id like to see if changing one would brighten this guitar up a wee bit

Latest Threads