MLP Weekly Movie Club

Olds442

Reaction score
the SW Bad Batch is pretty bad ass.
it's fucking amazing what happens when kathleen kennedy's name disappears from the credits.
i enjoyed it too. but it's hard to not notice that the new SW D+ stuff all has the same plot. war hardened dude or group of dudes watching out for a youngling. Mando, Bad Batch and presumably the Kenobi series are all essentially the same plot line.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
i enjoyed it too. but it's hard to not notice that the new SW D+ stuff all has the same plot. war hardened dude or group of dudes watching out for a youngling. Mando, Bad Batch and presumably the Kenobi series are all essentially the same plot line.
oh for sure. but did you notice that the "strong female characters" are WAAAAYYY more realistic and enjoyable?
if this finds its stride and goes 5 seasons, omega could become another ahsoka tano.
and rhea pearlman is cool so far.
i'm just taking it for the ride and digging it. bane just fought fennec shand and it's really cool to see them developed consistently with the rest of the "new star wars expanded universe". i liked bane from the clone wars, and fennec is really cool too.
dave filoni is on fire.
i'm just glad to see that toxic masculinity is back on the menu.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
i think rhea pearlman just took the job to look taller. :laugh2:
she really is rad in this. she's everything maz kanada could never be, due to shitty writing.

Olds442

Reaction score
cad bane has to be in the book of boba fett or mando.

he is a portrait of what SW is in general, a spaghetti western set in space.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
i spotted him as a killer character the moment he showed up in the clone wars. it's kinda when i realized that the clone wars was a legit show for grownups. that quick draw between bane and hunter was great.
right now i'm watching a planet disarm itself on the empire's promises of safety and security.
it's not being portrayed as a good idea.
i hope all the new shows are this good.

Spiteface

Reaction score
I spent the weekend binging all four of the Evangelion rebuild movies, pulling out my blurays of the first three before firing up Amazon Prime Video for Evangelion 3.0+1.01 - Thrice Upon A Time.

I revisited the original Neon Genesis Evangelion series when it arrived on Netflix and enjoyed it more than I did the first time. Since the the rebuild movies go from a broad strokes retelling of that original series, to something off the rails by the end of the second, I was interested to see how Hideaki Anno would end everything this time.

I wasn't sure what to expect now, in this new territory. But Hideaki Anno gave fans a new take on the apocalyptic nature of original finale End of Evangelion, but resolves it in a new way that closes everything, with hope. Considering much of the crux of the story is that Shinji is fucking depressed, that's something I was surprised with.

I don't want to get too spoilery, but I'd actually recommend watching the original Neon Genesis Evangelion and End of Evangelion beforehand. This really does tie everything together. It's not mandatory and you can get away with juat the rebuild movies, but it does help.

P.S. Did I mention there are giant monsters and "robots" in it?

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been watching Star Trek, ToS...

he said with no shame

:laugh2:
Every now and then we'll binge-watch.

The first two seasons.... and skip half of the 3rd ;)

We really did enjoy Enterprise, and Netflix allowed us to watch the rest of Voyager.
We switched from cable to DTV somewhere around the 3rd season of Voyager. DTV didn't carry UPN, and we couldn't get a broadcast signal.
TNG got a bit tired after a few years and we didn't regularly watch... we never were fans of DS9.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Voyager is the one with Capt Janeway right?

I can't stand the sound of her voice. I don't have a problem with a female Capt. But the sound of her creaking voice makes me irrationally angry.

Enterprise was great and I wished we'd gotten more seasons out of that crew.

TNG was 'my' generations ST when I was a kid. Though my Uncle turned me onto the Original Series.

I've tried to watch DS9 a couple times and can't get into it. Though I might try again.

Just downloaded Discovery. I know it's supposed to be a 'woke' or whatever, but I like Michelle Yeoh and will give it a shot at least.

Picard was awesome. (and I put that back in the MLP Folder today if anyone is interested in checking it out.)

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
Voyager is the one with Capt Janeway right?

I can't stand the sound of her voice. I don't have a problem with a female Capt. But the sound of her creaking voice makes me irrationally angry.

Enterprise was great and I wished we'd gotten more seasons out of that crew.

TNG was 'my' generations ST when I was a kid. Though my Uncle turned me onto the Original Series.

I've tried to watch DS9 a couple times and can't get into it. Though I might try again.

Just downloaded Discovery. I know it's supposed to be a 'woke' or whatever, but I like Michelle Yeoh and will give it a shot at least.

Picard was awesome. (and I put that back in the MLP Folder today if anyone is interested in checking it out.)
I was still a little young for TOS... Grandpa loved it and watched the beginning of the 2nd season from his iron lung during his last couple of months.
I got hooked on TOS during the Sci-Fi resurgence in the 70s that ended up resulting in Star Wars, CC3K, etc... Channel 7 ran a lot of sci-fi on the 6:00 movie in the mid 70s following up on the popularity of the space program.

The jury was out on TNG for quite a while... it probably wasn't until the 3rd season that we really started to enjoy the characters and could relax with the show. After that, we could go back and watch the first seasons and likewise enjoy them.

Voyager was an enigma.
I agree with you on Janeway's voice, but my issue with Voyager is with the plot continuity... or lack of.
They're out in the middle of nowhere with no Starbase, but you could take the entire series up until the very end, toss it into a hat, shake it up, substitute the species of alien they have a conflict with, and at the beginning of the next episode, all the shit that happened last week is erased except for the cliff-hangers.
How many shuttlecraft did they destroy? And Paris built the Delta Flyer. But oh ya, Replicator Rations was the "fix all" for the plot... at least they didn't over-use time travel.

But we liked it. It wasn't DS9, and it was new Star Trek.

Discovery? Too many continuity issues, from the appearance of the Klingons to the ship design. It's too "modern" to take place in the timeline where it allegedly does between Enterprise and TOS. The tech is too advanced.
Enterprise did a good job of interpreting what Starfleet tech would have looked like 100 years before TOS.

Discovery might be an interesting series... if it were based in another universe and not Star Trek.... but I already subscribe to Netflix and Amazon and I'm not going to subscribe to another service when the TV is rarely even on.

Picard was great, thank you... looking forward to the next season.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
to be honest, i really only liked wrath of khan and search for spock. i can watch some TOS, but not too much at a time.
the new movies and shows don't do much for me.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
to be honest, i really only liked wrath of khan and search for spock. i can watch some TOS, but not too much at a time.
the new movies and shows don't do much for me.
The TOS motion pictures were good up until they wrapped up the sub-plot established by Wrath of Kahn with The Voyage Home.
The Final Frontier sucked. The Undiscovered Country redeemed it a bit.
Generations was a good lead into the TNG series and a good wrap-up for TOS. They intelligently passed the torch to TNG with that.
First Contact was one of my favorite movies.
Insurrection was meh.... It was a 2-hour remake of the TNG episode "Homeward" but with a nasty twist thrown in, conveying the message that those in power over us do not always have our best interests in mind.

I actually liked Nemesis.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I was still a little young for TOS... Grandpa loved it and watched the beginning of the 2nd season from his iron lung during his last couple of months.
I got hooked on TOS during the Sci-Fi resurgence in the 70s that ended up resulting in Star Wars, CC3K, etc... Channel 7 ran a lot of sci-fi on the 6:00 movie in the mid 70s following up on the popularity of the space program.

The jury was out on TNG for quite a while... it probably wasn't until the 3rd season that we really started to enjoy the characters and could relax with the show. After that, we could go back and watch the first seasons and likewise enjoy them.

Voyager was an enigma.
I agree with you on Janeway's voice, but my issue with Voyager is with the plot continuity... or lack of.
They're out in the middle of nowhere with no Starbase, but you could take the entire series up until the very end, toss it into a hat, shake it up, substitute the species of alien they have a conflict with, and at the beginning of the next episode, all the shit that happened last week is erased except for the cliff-hangers.
How many shuttlecraft did they destroy? And Paris built the Delta Flyer. But oh ya, Replicator Rations was the "fix all" for the plot... at least they didn't over-use time travel.

But we liked it. It wasn't DS9, and it was new Star Trek.

Discovery? Too many continuity issues, from the appearance of the Klingons to the ship design. It's too "modern" to take place in the timeline where it allegedly does between Enterprise and TOS. The tech is too advanced.
Enterprise did a good job of interpreting what Starfleet tech would have looked like 100 years before TOS.

Discovery might be an interesting series... if it were based in another universe and not Star Trek.... but I already subscribe to Netflix and Amazon and I'm not going to subscribe to another service when the TV is rarely even on.

Picard was great, thank you... looking forward to the next season.
Watching Discovery now. On episode 4 I think. So far it's pretty good.

Didn't give much thought to the timeline but yeah it seems modern. Good story so far though.

Latest Threads