MLP Weekly Movie Club

BornToLooze

Reaction score
So I was watching Kamen Rider, and my wife asked if I was watching Power Rangers or something.

So we're watching Amazon Riders now.

Malikon

He got joo joo eyeballs
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Amazon's is so brutal and bloody, i really like that one a lot.

(Why does everyone think everything is power rangers?) :facepalm:

BornToLooze

Reaction score
I haven't seen power rangers since I was a kid, so my memory of it is pretty much superheros fighting people in monster costumes, so I can see why people would think that.

Spiteface

Reaction score
Power Rangers is the most successful attempt at bringing this stuff to western audiences, outside of Godzilla.

The side effect of that, is that everyone thinks all tokusatsu/henshin hero shows are Power Rangers. They won't know (or care) that this:

Is different to this:

Or indeed any attempt to bring a Tsuburaya show to the west.

Malikon

He got joo joo eyeballs
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I mean it's like pointing at every American superhero with a cape and going, "is that Superman?"

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
All Asian (shows) look alike.....? Nothing like a bit of casual racism lol.

cjpeck

Reaction score
Amazon's is so brutal and bloody, i really like that one a lot.

well, let's see...

most Americans aren't aware that power rangers is a specific tv show. Rather they use 'power rangers' as a generic term for "Japanese costumed chop sockey show". Kinda like 'kleenex' or 'band-aids' are actual brands and not just a type of product. Same thing as certain areas of the south calling any kind of soda pop 'coke'.

of course, I could be fulla crap here....

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
I don't see anything racist about not knowing the differences. I'm not really all that informed about Japanese tv/movies.

I mean, of course it's the MLP version of racist... :laugh2:

Malikon

He got joo joo eyeballs
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
well, let's see...

most Americans aren't aware that power rangers is a specific tv show. Rather they use 'power rangers' as a generic term for "Japanese costumed chop sockey show". Kinda like 'kleenex' or 'band-aids' are actual brands and not just a type of product. Same thing as certain areas of the south calling any kind of soda pop 'coke'.

of course, I could be fulla crap here....
You know what makes it even more irritating (though I think you're 100% right), is that when they call it all Power Rangers they're thinking of the early 90's Power Rangers. So it's like one small blip in Power Rangers history, (they're on the 20th+ season? Not even sure how many seasons there are)... and Super Sentai has been around since the 70's like Kamen Rider and Ultraman.

So it's like choosing this drop in the bucket that somehow represents all of it?

I guess everything is Power Rangers and Godzilla. :laugh2:

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
On a completely different note I was watching Death Proof (again) and I wonder who's gonna be the genius to do a 'Stuntman Mike' Origin story? Lotsa potential there....Just sayin' incase Hollywood is listening.

Malikon

He got joo joo eyeballs
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
there's 26 seasons. They never stopped making them I don't think.

Like Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Godzilla, Ultraman,.. it's a franchise that is popular enough that there's a new season almost every year since it started.

Malikon

He got joo joo eyeballs
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
a bunch more Ultraman stuff has been officially listed for release this year and is available on Amazon for pre-order...

I've got the first 5 they've released and pre-ordered the next 7. :horns:

Last edited:

Spiteface

Reaction score
They still make Power Rangers?
Indeed. Season 27 (the 2nd part of Beast Morphers) to air soon, I believe.

The Japanese source material, Super Sentai, is on its 43rd season, Kishiryu Sentai Ryusoulger with season 44, Mashin Sentai Kiramager

For reference, the 1st season of Power Rangers was season 16 of Super Sentai.

Speaking of Kiramager, remember this guy?

Turns out he's playing the mentor figure for Kiramager:

That's him on the right end of the pic, of course.

krauley

Reaction score
Indeed. Season 27 (the 2nd part of Beast Morphers) to air soon, I believe.

The Japanese source material, Super Sentai, is on its 43rd season, Kishiryu Sentai Ryusoulger with season 44, Mashin Sentai Kiramager

For reference, the 1st season of Power Rangers was season 16 of Super Sentai.

Speaking of Kiramager, remember this guy?

Turns out he's playing the mentor figure for Kiramager:

That's him on the right end of the pic, of course.
No

No No Yes No Yes No No

:naughty:

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Mal, time for you to break out the credit card. Just got the BBTS email announcing the pre-release of "Burning Godzilla".

Godzilla.jpg

Malikon

He got joo joo eyeballs
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah I got the email too. I don't like Deforreal series, they're all deformed looking. That is a cool paintjob though.

My next pre-orders are for a blue Mothra and Burning Godzilla from Japan, but they don't come out for months...

1580397837875.png

1580397881734.png

and I have a vinyl Bandai Gamera on pre-order too..

1580397955102.png

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah I got the email too. I don't like Deforreal series, they're all deformed looking.
Agreed. They all do look deformed. They one you picked out looks much better.

My grandson has a birthday in May and I've been looking at the BBTS for a suitable G for him. It will be a toy that likely gets destroyed over time. I'm favoring this one:

g_2.jpg

He's really into the G movies. My daughter tells me I've created a monster! Each time we Facetime he rattles off the names of each Kaiju we watched, and has me show him pics of Kaiju on google search.

Malikon

He got joo joo eyeballs
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
yeah the 2019 Neca is a good one. The Necas I tend to buy two of, one for display and one to keep boxed.

There are 3 versions of the Neca 2019. Regular, Atomic Breath (blue with a 'shooting fire' effect piece, and Burning Godzilla which is a Target exclusive.

He'll (or his parents) will have to let the tail-end soak in hot water to make it soft enough to attach the tail. They come separated to fit in the box but as long as you do the hot water trick to get the pvc temporarily soft it's pretty easy to pop the two pieces together (it's a ball joint socket)
dfdfd.png

the three different 2019 King of the Monster Godzillas..

20200130_104740.jpg

the 60's Godzillas are really nice too... they're pretty big and heavy also which is nice...

20200130_104743.jpg

Last edited: