MLP/Bartlett Retrospec Giveaway!

matt117

Reaction score
Now I will turn my attention to the other end, and work on the truss rod nut cavity.

This is what it looks like now, with just the slot cut.

I carefully measure and mark the point at which I want to stop drilling.

And then I place this small spacer in the slot. This will get the cutter up off the bottom of the slot a little bit. This adds some strength to the headstock transition, but still offers good access to adjust the tussrod.

You can just barely see it sitting in there. It needs to be far enough back that it will not be damaged by the cutter.

Now I place the cutter in the slot with the pilot resting on the spacer:

I place a piece of maple over the pilot to hold it firmly against the spacer, and begin cutting..

I continue cutting until I reach the line I marked earlier.

And here it is all done.

Now all that’s left to do it clean up the small amount of material left over from the previous task.
Again a sharp chisel is used.

And here it is all cleaned up.

Im lost on this spacer here - its to get the right angle on the opening there? how tall is the spacer?

GooCart

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hey Rudi, I think we have something in common:)
Here's 003 with a couple of friends.

reedy

Reaction score
Some pics I took a few days ago with my Son.

:hmm:.............Pics in Retrospec or Retrospective pics. :D :naughty:

Retrospec 006 is an awesome Guitar. :wow: :wow: :wow: :thumb: :applause:

Thanks Tom. :thumb: :)

Cheers, Rudi
Hey Rudi,
Lovely gits. What kind of flight case is that?

alk-3

MLP Sponsor
Reaction score
Hey reedy, that case is the standard customer flight case that comes with all Retrospec's.

Thanks for all the kind words guys! It's really my pleasure to donate one of my guitars to this forum! I'm happy that someone here will take it home and enjoy it :)

Well, this build wouldn't really be complete without touching on the case. This is a custom flight case that I had made up for the guitar. We went through a bit of trial and error, then made the first case and it is tough!! the guitar will be very safe in this vault of a case!

Of course the case wouldn't be complete without a big gold logo on it :)

I start by making up the silkscreen. This is made by taking an image of my logo and blowing it up, then using it to make the screen.

I lay it onto the case centring the logo...

Then I pour out some gold pigment. I use quite a lot here because it really needs to cover a fair bit of surface area.

and there we have it!

I do the same thing on the other side:

....And what the heck, why not one more teaser pic for the fun of it!

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Dang, beautiful guitars. Wish I would have discovered Les Pauls and MLP years ago so I could have entered. :D

Rapdog

Reaction score
How thick is your maple top and mahogany body? Same dimensions as a les Paul? 5/8 and 1 3/4? Just interested as thickness and sound correlates as well as similarities to feel.

alk-3

MLP Sponsor
Reaction score
Yes Rapdog, give or take. You're right, the thickness actually has a pretty great impact on the sound!

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah it is awesome, looks like an old Victor or Silver.
General Unisaw too...mmm hmmm