MLP/Bartlett Retrospec Giveaway!

Ratmick

Reaction score
High School.....DRIVING.....opposite sex.....:naughty: graduation....college....marriage.....then suddenly.....without warning....and without mercy... you and your wife .... as young as you may be now, are suddenly grandparents. It happened to me.....
Insert the grandparent part for me in-between graduation and college. My son and his girlfriend are expecting their first in November virtually straight out of High School. I'm not done with my 40s yet and they are still wet behind the ears...no job, no qualifications...

Mick :cool:

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Insert the grandparent part for me in-between graduation and college. My son and his girlfriend are expecting their first in November virtually straight out of High School. I'm not done with my 40s yet and they are still wet behind the ears...no job, no qualifications...

Well, don't worry too much, I know exactly what you mean. They will mature....fast... and hopefully they kick it into gear. Our son has no college, but has an excellent work ethic, works 6 days 10 hrs a day and then some. His wife is in college and was always, and still is an A++ student. 4.0 GPA and has three kids (the grand children) My oldest daughter just got her real estate lic. no kids yet...and the one still at home also has a great work ethic.... and is trudging through her classes....(we wonder about this one) :hmm:

Don't worry too much....sometimes it takes a major shake up like a new baby to help them realize that it will be hard times until certain job skills are required to feed, clothe and shelter that child. Nothing like real responsibility for them to get the picture.

The hardest thing for me was to NOT enable them. Sometimes the cash window was open all too often and they get a little "dependent" I had to learn to kill the cash cow and let them figure it out. Make it obvious that they are on their own....(but don't let them know that your watching for their well being) I would never let them go homeless if something catastrophic occurred....but they know I don't have their cable bill money.....or credit card bill. :fingersx: In fact the youngest still thinks we won't pay a single dime towards college. But there is money set aside that will help if/when she graduates.

They figure it out....tell him (your son) that your proud of him and you know he will make a good, responsible father and a loving, caring husband. And that he will do everything in his power to take care of his new family.

The power of suggestion will go a long way. Tell him straight up, your not giving him any money whenever he wants it. But good fatherly advice is always free. then sit back and watch his new phase in life begin.

Of course you'll always have that $50 or whatever for them if they really need it....he just doesn't know it. :D

Reaction score
The burst that you pictured at the start of this thread definitely has my vote!

This guitar represents a disruptive culmination of art and desire. Within this forum, the Barlett Retrospec has already cleverly received its fame.

I hope fortune smiles on me by awarding me the lucky winner here!!

Ratmick

Reaction score
Don't worry too much....sometimes it takes a major shake up like a new baby to help them realize that it will be hard times until certain job skills are required to feed, clothe and shelter that child. Nothing like real responsibility for them to get the picture.

The hardest thing for me was to NOT enable them.
Good words, you're obviously a great grandfather and parent. I try, not sure how successful I am at times. I seem to be the only constant the both of them have in their lives and as I'm the lowest common denominator they always seem to end up with me :). The way I see if they have made their own bed and will have to lie in it but neither of them are thinking long-term and they need a responsible adult to look over their shoulders...and try and prompt them to make decisions which make sense..but not make them for them.

The pair of them don't work, my son Matthew left High School with average marks and applied the same lack of commitment to his first year of University, with the resultant exams marks to show that you'd expect from this sort of approach. He decided to take a 'gap year' to earn some money but hasn't done a great deal of work plus pregnancy has intervened, hence soaking up what little he had.

His girlfriend Amber is not quite 20, she isn't working either, having just quit work in a fast-food shop about a month back. Matthew works 1-2 days a week in a bottle shop, they both rely on the little government assistance she gets. Amber's parents have divorced, her mum has kicked her out of home and she lives half between her dad's place and mine. She's a nice enough kid, albeit very loud. I and my kids' mother have also divorced and I have re-partnered. My three kids all live with me, along with my partner and her daughter, so there's six (or seven) of us with the exception being the days one of my younger two stay at their mum's place (alas one at a time as she lives in a tiny flat). I'm paying the mortgage on the family home on my salary so really although I earn good money the kids eat and otherwise consume (tank water/electricity etc) whatever I earn.

I live on an acre out of town, they are looking at getting a bungalow in the back garden from an semi-government charitable organisation that provides accommodation for kids at risk of living on the streets. That won't arrive until after the baby is due...so there will be an extra (tiny) body in the house come November. I'm having to re-arrange sleeping arrangements and refit a bathroom before the event to try and minimise the upheaval to the rest of the house.

None of my three kids are stupid, however both both of my boys wouldn't work in an iron lung unless you rolled them into it and turned it on for them. On the other hand my youngest is 17 and she is blitzing everything she does. Same genes, completely different work ethic. She'll go far.

Anyway I've hijacked the build thread, so I'll stop it here :).

Good luck with the new addition Tom, enjoy the only time they will be completely 100% under your control and they still think the world of you :thumb:.

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Reaction score
The way I'm looking at it, this is a Les Paul themed web site. The "holy grail" of Les Paul guitars is the 1959 'burst. A good idea for a retrospective guitar would be one that reflected the best parts of a '59 burst. Beauty Of The Burst is a great book. The collection of beautifully burst-finished guitars is amazing. You want a guitar finished in old GM car colors? The Stratocaster room is over there >>>

Sure but it is neither a LP nor a Strat, now is it?
So why make it as close to a LP as possible and if so why not just get a LP if you want all the attributes as such?
The point of the Retrospec, to me IMO, is all great things that came out of the 50's and 60's that made guitars memorable and great and I can promise you LP's were not the only ones that were great back then.
While the 59 Burst's were killer, they are not the end all be all guitar to everyone.

Hell I think the Retrospec would look killer in a nice trans Blonde or Seafoam Green as well :thumb:
See I just expanded my horizons ;)

Sct13

Reaction score
No....it must be black....a burst or a Gold Top....no other colors are allowed....:D:D

Supernova

Reaction score
Still going with Gold, wraparound bridge, P90s as in the mockup

I'm still only getting my jaw into place from it!

GooCart

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Haha, it's really fun to see that you guys are so enthusiastic over the color scheme of the guitar:thumb:
When I designed the guitar my intentions was black. All sketches and 3d renderings are black but quite early in the process we talked about some other colors, all where solids, like robin egg and goldtop for example. When Tom mentioned that he was doing a sunburst I was like...hm....will this work??!! I remember that I was really hesitant over the white pick guard/ pickup rings. But when I saw the sunburst guitar I knew that I was wrong, it looks just amazing. Better than black..? no, but you can't compare them, it's just a matter of personal preferences.

Here are some pretty new photos of my black retrospec, serial 003. Not too shabby:)

Tom, I hope you guys are doing fine with the little one:thumb: Kids are really the best of all, nothing else comes even close.

jonesy77777

Reaction score
looks great, definitely think the burst would look fantastic.

P.S. hey Tom, check your Pm's, I was just asking about that old 55'. Would love to hear what you have done to her? Cheers bud.

RAG7890

Reaction score
Well, since Magnus has thrown in a few awesome pics of 003 :thumb: :applause:

Here is 006..........just to balance the ledger re Black vs. Burst. :D

attachment.php

A GT would also look great. :)

Some background information for any of those interested in a little history relating to those classic Fender colors: -

Vintage Guitars Info - Fender custom color finishes on vintage Fender guitars

Plus some examples: -

60colorchart.jpg

url

Cheers, Rudi

Attachments

• TBR 006 - 18.jpg
    TBR 006 - 18.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 687

Sct13

Reaction score
Yep either one of those......it might look good in that candy apple red too. :)

Torren61

Reaction score
Sure but it is neither a LP nor a Strat, now is it?
So why make it as close to a LP as possible and if so why not just get a LP if you want all the attributes as such?
The point of the Retrospec, to me IMO, is all great things that came out of the 50's and 60's that made guitars memorable and great and I can promise you LP's were not the only ones that were great back then.
While the 59 Burst's were killer, they are not the end all be all guitar to everyone.

Hell I think the Retrospec would look killer in a nice trans Blonde or Seafoam Green as well :thumb:
See I just expanded my horizons ;)

Really? Why don't we poll the membership?

Torren61

Reaction score
If this were a Fender forum, I'd agree about the other vintage colors. It's not. It's "My Les Paul". The '59 Burst is, indeed, the "end all be all" of guitars for the majority of this forum's membership. The build should reflect that. I don't see how one could improve on the burst finish in Alex's avatar. What a beautiful piece of work!

Ken

Reaction score
Congrats on the new addition to the family!!! Absolutely life-changing, or it was for me at least. Keep up the updates when you can. Make sure your family is the absolute priority. As absolutely awesome as this build/contest is, the new little one is at the helm for the rest of your forseeable life. Embrace it, because it's awesome.

jmbstudios

Reaction score
So maybe I missed it. When does the giveaway happen? Something to drool and look forward to. :)

Matty

Reaction score
I really don't care what colour it ends up being, but if Tom chooses a nicely flamed top we'd better be able to see it. :cool:

alk-3

Reaction score
Love the lively discussion on colour.. Many of you guys might change your mind when you see the top I've chosen. Some may like the way it's headed, and others may not!
I have taken last week and this week off to be with family, but I will try to get an update for you guys very soon!

alk-3

Reaction score
Haha, it's really fun to see that you guys are so enthusiastic over the color scheme of the guitar:thumb:
When I designed the guitar my intentions was black. All sketches and 3d renderings are black but quite early in the process we talked about some other colors, all where solids, like robin egg and goldtop for example. When Tom mentioned that he was doing a sunburst I was like...hm....will this work??!! I remember that I was really hesitant over the white pick guard/ pickup rings. But when I saw the sunburst guitar I knew that I was wrong, it looks just amazing. Better than black..? no, but you can't compare them, it's just a matter of personal preferences.

Here are some pretty new photos of my black retrospec, serial 003. Not too shabby:)

Tom, I hope you guys are doing fine with the little one:thumb: Kids are really the best of all, nothing else comes even close.

Great photos Magnus! :shock::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
So, I guess it's too late to send you a guitar for you to copy the neck profile? :naughty:

Burst, no relic, P-90s, ABR-1 & ES-330 trapeze.

And don't finish it for at least 2 weeks - going to hang with the 1st grandkid* for a week & don't want it sitting on the porch!

*He's 9 months, and while his dad & uncles were/are wonderful, he's my MAN!

Congratulations - the universe as you knew it just ended!

And seriously, burst, no relic. The pics of 003 almost had me convinced, then 006 appeared - somebody hand me a Kleenex...........

Torren61

Reaction score
Love the lively discussion on colour.. Many of you guys might change your mind when you see the top I've chosen. Some may like the way it's headed, and others may not!
I have taken last week and this week off to be with family, but I will try to get an update for you guys very soon!

Brother, you can paint the axe tittie pink if you want. I'd still be tickled to own and play it. So far, the poll shows a preference for burst.

Latest Threads