Mixing software

JoeM

Reaction score
Hello,
I want to plug my RP 1000 and BP 355 into my PC and do recordings with PC software.
These have USB connections.
Does anybody have a favorite package? Windows 10.

Thanks

spitfire

Reaction score
I'll chime in since you've had no other responses. First off, I don't know what an RP 1000 or a BP 355 are, but apparently these are some sort of audio source that interfaces to your computer via USB. These devices should come with Windows 10 drivers that will allow common audio software to "see' these devices as audio sources.

Assuming this is true, then I would think any software would work. Now, your use of the term "mixing software" is unusual. I've not heard that terminology before. So, I'm going to guess what you are talking about is a digital audio workstation (DAW) software. A DAW is software that mimics a multi-track tape recorder and mixing console in software.

There are many choices from professional DAWs like Pro-tools on down. I use a program called Reaper. It is a fully functional DAW with all the features you'd find in the most expensive software packages, just without the high cost.

There are less capable and simpler DAWs. But, I don't think these are necessarily any easy to do simple things on than a feature packed DAW. They just don't have some features to begin with. Any DAW is going to require some effort to get functioning on your system. When getting this all to work, you will be taking hardware and software that was not specifically designed to work together, though does work due to agreed upon standards. However, you won't find a manual saying exactly how to make your specific combinations of components work.

My point is to be prepared for a bit of frustration as you climb the learning curve, no matter what DAW software you use. If this is all new to you, it's a bit like trying to drink from a fire hose. Lot's of new things to learn, but that can be fun as long as you don't expect to make it work in the first 15 minutes because you have your band coming over to record.

Even the simplest DAW will allow you to record some number of separate tracks and mix these together. Full featured DAWs, like Reaper (there are many others), will allow you to add FX units to tracks in any way you want. These FX units are commonly called audio plugins and are 3rd party software. A very common type of audio plugin is called a VST, so you'll often see the terms VST and audio plugin used interchangeably. In any case, separate audio plugins will give functions like reverb, echo, delay, EQ. Other types are actually virtual instruments that work with MIDI data to give your drum sounds or just about any other instrument. Piano and other keyboard virtual instruments are also very common.

Still other plugins can be entire guitar rigs simulating pedals, amplifier, speaker cabinet and even the mic and room used to record the virtual amp (Amplitube is an example). There's no end to the number of plugins available. You can literally spend 10's of thousands of dollars. However, most DAWs will come with some standard plugins. Also there are many high quality plugin packages you can get for as little as $100. And many are free (but you get what you pay for).

I really don't think there is a "just get this one" answer to your question. You'll pretty much get a different answer from everyone you ask. I like Reaper because it does everything, and is very inexpensive. You can demo it for free and the demo is fully functional. You just get a nag screen. But I think it is only $60 or so to buy it.

Mexicanbreed

Reaction score
+1 on Reaper. Other than not including virtual instruments, Reaper is very capable out of the box. I am still learning because I am going very, very slowly.

Two words: Kenny Gioia. This guy has made an entire video series covering so many functions and aspects of Reaper that I can't imagine trying to figure anything on my own without them. You can trust that this DAW is as capable for most tasks than any of the big name software packages... And it's affordable.

Does the RP1000 act always as a modeler, or can it act only as the audio interface? I used to have an RP360 and ended selling it and buying instead a dedicated interface. Anything I do is in the box, including amp tones and fx. If this is something you might consider, amp simulation can sound really, really good. I love S-Gear over other more well-known simulators. Much better than anything I got with the RP.

Latest Threads