Mixed reviews for GNR at Reading

Texas Joe

Reaction score
I just have to get this off my chest for the MILLIONTH time. Guns N' Roses is not GNR without Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven. I don't care who owns the name. Axl Pose its washed up. So much time has gone by since they broke up you would think that by now something would have happened with the original members. Shit Van Halen was able to put their egos aside... I haven't read the review but I bet he didn't pull that shit at Sturgis... he would have been beat down by a bunch of bikers.

Nightrain

Reaction score
Slash and Axl are pretty much complete opposites. Guns n Roses died in 1996 when the beating heart of GnR left. It's a farce since then, Axl Rose was great in his day but his day is by no means today.

Tozatron

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Good God, really? I'm not asking you guys to like, respect, or love him. Let's not get into the nitty gritty of his personality please? This being a forum, I just gave my two cents.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thats actually a James Hetfield quote... Check this out
That was funny.
Axl Pose...
One cup of cubed ham, not &#^#ing BELLLLLLCH ... so it'll get down his little neck...
looks like a &$#^ing vegemitarian...
Sue Bee honey ... bunch o' hooey

Good God, really? I'm not asking you guys to like, respect, or love him. Let's not get into the nitty gritty of his personality please? This being a forum, I just gave my two cents.
That's all well and good, but you don't actively and deliberately disrespect the "fans" who are your livelihood. You also don't act like some little princess and piss off your colleagues and co-workers - which I would guess is what set Hetfield off and prompted him to read Axl's "dressing room requirements".
Guns n Roses was everyone in that original band, not just the singer. No matter what the legalities are, Guns n Roses, the real deal, is over and has been for a long time. That ship sailed years ago.

Caleb

Platinum Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Let's not get into the nitty gritty of his personality please?

Why not? We pretty much hash out anything and everything around here, why should Axl be exempt?

No one is dumping on you, I assure you. We're just clowning on Axl's dumbass behavior.

Drew224

"Obvious BS Artist"
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
imo, axl can't really come anywhere near the way he sang on appetite and uyi. i'd pay to see slash's solo band, and velvet revolver, but not axl's gnr.

Phoenix59

Reaction score
Yeah, this was the result at their recent show at Sturgis:

Rapid City Journal said:
Axl Rose leaves crowd hanging before Sturgis appearance

STURGIS -- The final hours of Friday the 13th seemed like bad luck for the Rock ‘N Rev crowd. The cool wind began to blow, Alice in Chains had just finished its set at 11 p.m., and Axl Rose was nowhere to be seen.

“Don’t worry about it,” Jeremy Stark, 33, of Independence, Mo., said. “This is what Axl does.”

Guns N’ Roses was set to play at 10:30, 11:30 or midnight, depending on which schedule you saw or rumor you heard. It was nothing new to Stark, who followed the band throughout its “Use Your Illusion” world tour in the early 1990s.

“He makes people wait,” Stark said. “The complainers leave early, and the rest of us get to see the show.”

Not everyone was happy with the wait. Angry voices could be heard. Beer bottles and cans were tossed at the stage. Some people left, not wanting to wait until Saturday morning for Rose and his band to begin performing. Some of them had bought two-for-one tickets at the gate.

About 10 minutes after midnight, a helicopter flew over the Monkey Rock USA compound, giving fans hope that Rose might be on board.

“That’s him right there!” Stark said.

The pre-concert tension did not concern festival organizer Dan Catullo III, who said Guns N’ Roses had done a sound check early Friday morning in preparation for the show.

“I woke up this morning, and Guns N’ Roses was doing their sound check,” he said. “That’s when it sunk in for me: We got Guns N’ Roses.”

Catullo’s other job was just beginning as Friday night’s concerts began. He soon would be directing the cameras for the night. The plan is to release concert DVDs, as well as use the footage to show future acts just what Rock ‘N Rev has to offer.

When it comes to Axl Rose, that plan can get tricky.

“Axl’s never approved a live shoot before,” Catullo said. “Big-name directors like David Fincher and Wayne Isham have asked and never been approved. If I pull this off….”

Catullo trailed off into the land of dreaming big. Three $20-million video trucks captured the Rock ‘N Rev shows all week, but Friday night’s shoot would likely be the biggest moment of the crews’ careers.

Or it could be a total bust, if Rose did not show.

“People don’t understand. Axl builds anticipation, and when he comes on stage, it’s an explosion,” Stark said.

Stark has waited a long time to see him play. In 2006, the last year Guns N’ Roses performed in the United States, Stark waited four hours for a show to begin. It’s all worth it to him, however.

“We’d have driven to Canada to see Axl,” he said.

At 12:47 a.m. Saturday, the lights went out at the Rock ‘N Rev amphitheater.
At 12:51, what some consider the biggest concert in Sturgis motorcycle rally history began with “Chinese Democracy.”

Stark was right.

Those who remained -- about 75 percent of the original crowd -- exploded as the show began.

Almost two hours later, after an encore that included “Paradise City,” Axl Rose threw his red-capped microphone into the audience and said good night to Sturgis.

I loved GnR with Slash, but Axl is and always has been a complete asshole.

ianm76

Reaction score
From Axl's Twitter today:

"In regard to Reading we feel at the very least the fans deserve an apology from those responsible for the nonsense. We'd also like to thank the fans for being so great, singing along n' not tearing the place apart!! " :hmm:

Texas Joe

Reaction score
How about apologizing to the fans for fu*$ing up the REAL Guns N' Roses? Im not saying the entire blame lays on him, but, he is the one who is currently holding out on the rest of them.

SoloDallas

Reaction score
From Axl's Twitter today:

"In regard to Reading we feel at the very least the fans deserve an apology from those responsible for the nonsense. We'd also like to thank the fans for being so great, singing along n' not tearing the place apart!! " :hmm:

A man apologizes in front of other humans, not writing a 140 characters text message from his couch

Gyroman

Reaction score
Is it just me who thinks his singing sounds like someone straining really hard to shit out a reluctant turd?

GammyBird

Reaction score
I wouldn't waste the money on a ticket to see G&R. You don't know what you're going to get when/if they come on stage. I'd just as soon go see a band that appreciates it's audience.

MenaceMartin

Reaction score
As for me, I say he's probably the most talented frontman to come along during the last 3 decades.
No offence dude, but sorry, i choked on my Dr Pepper when i read that, and i was still laughing through the coughing and spluttering.

Dino Velvet

Reaction score
Now see this is really interesting . I stream planet rock (UK radio station) all day at work. And they keep saying the show was great and they are adding more dates. ... But now I know.. same old Axl.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
No offence dude, but sorry, i choked on my Dr Pepper when i read that, and i was still laughing through the coughing and spluttering.

Yeah. I guess guys like Springsteen should just hang it up :laugh2::laugh2:

FLICKOFLASH

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Guns N' Roses played:

'Chinese Democracy'
'Welcome To The Jungle'
'It's So Easy'
'Mr Brownstone'
'Sorry'
'Richard Fortus Guitar Solo'
'Live And Let Die'