Mississippi Mustang (Peavey T-15)

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
With the Canadian dollar in the dumpster my GAS for expensive guitars has been cured. However i picked up this old '83 Peavey T-15 with original case for a song. It's actually a really fun guitar to play(shortscale) and the Super Ferrite pickups produce some heavenly tones. I'm right impressed. It fits right in with my other Blonde on Blondes. It weighs 6.25 pounds.

Anyone else like these old T series Peavey's ??

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Always loved the T series, and the Patriots. but the pickups, the Super ferrites, were a matter of taste. In ash, HATED them. Mahogany, sounded great, and maple, were "eeeeh" about them.

kevinpaul

Reaction score
HNGD ! They are being found to be one of the greatest guitars ever. They keep a low price because they are Peavys. I like the T60 very much, I was playing live a lot and it was really off balance, I would do a header in the crowd. The T25 is a kick ass guitar, advanced electronics. T15 is a great one and hard to find now that people know more about them.
Good find and good luck.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
I can see why the pups might not have gone over so well in relations to when they were produced..... the early eighties, but you can get alot outta these pups if you are looking for certain tones. Through my new Astrocat fuzz box and my tube amp it's especially good. I'm still experimenting right now but for a little over $200 CDN it's a whole lotta guitar and super fun to play.

Brian Krashpad

Reaction score
Congrats! I would definitely rock a T-15 if one became available locally.

I already own the two "flagship" models, the T-60 and T-40:

I also have a USA "Fury" bass, a name which Peavey re-used for several different models over the years. The one I have is the first version, from the '80's. It is basically a re-badged T-20, with the iconic angled "Super-Ferrite" pickup with the thumb rest built in to the top edge of the pickup.

Walt_T

Reaction score
I always liked the Peavey guitars I played, but never bought one.
HNGD! Pretty guitar!

Syrus

Reaction score
I have a T-15 in sunburst. Which is a rather uncommon guitar in Europe.

Our local conservatory used these as backups for the main instruments for a long period, only to be replaced last year. I picked one up a while ago, but the tuning stability is questionable... :laugh2: the super ferrites on the other hand are pure tonal win. Really really clear tones and great for slide.

doitforvangogh

Reaction score
My first "real" guitar was a T-60. Traded it off for a Telecaster + a ton of cash back in '85.

Been looking to replace it, but 80s Peaveys are really starting climb. Good find. I'm envious.

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
I've had several T series, and they all sounded great, as I think are very underrated guitars.... but being so heavy and skinny necks did them in for me

Brian Krashpad

Reaction score
I've had several T series, and they all sounded great, as I think are very underrated guitars.... but being so heavy and skinny necks did them in for me
For T-60s at least, if you ever run across a solid-color one, the weight issue could be solved (I know it'll still have a skinny neck). Although not with all solid-color guitars, with a lot of them, those solid-color T-60 guitars were poplar, rather than Northern Oak, which was what those really heavy natural finish ones were made of.

Poplar is much lighter than Northern Oak. Poplar has greenish grain streaks, however, which is why its use is frequently for solid-color guitars. At any rate, my solid black T-60 is poplar, and only weighs 8.5 pounds. Not bad at all!

wild turkey

Reaction score
I ve had two T-60 s and while I loved the sound and versatility of them I couldnt get on with the super skinny necks , I even refretted them with jumbo frets to make the neck fatter but eventually sold both
Ive come up with a good compromise !

wild turkey

Reaction score
Im also toying with the idea of fitting the pickups into a Japanese 335 that I'm in the process of restoring

HEADKNOCKER

Banned
Reaction score
There's a Peavey Forum where the inventor of the T Series Chip Todd visits daily..
I was hooked up with them thru the Peavey Forum several years ago..

Haven't visited in years & with a new PC lost the link..

I have always loved the T peaveys & they all seem to have a great tone & are heavy for their size, That T-15 is sweet as is the T-60 & T-40 shown above..
Never seen a Lester with T-60 pickups before..

Brian Krashpad

Reaction score
There's a Peavey Forum where the inventor of the T Series Chip Todd visits daily..
I was hooked up with them thru the Peavey Forum several years ago..

Haven't visited in years & with a new PC lost the link..

I have always loved the T peaveys & they all seem to have a great tone & are heavy for their size, That T-15 is sweet as is the T-60 & T-40 shown above..
Never seen a Lester with T-60 pickups before..
Yeah, the T-60 Mafia page. Good group of guys. Chip seems like a really cool guy too.

Vortex

Reaction score
HNGD. I have a T-60 as well although it doesn't get much use. The neck doesn't do it for me either. But I like the solid feel they have.

Latest Threads