Mismatched Flame Tops, Yay or Nay

Kidofthepast

Reaction score
I really dig that top - it has a real vintage look...plus, the mineral streaks send it over the top. Get it - it’s a definitely one of a kind! :eek2:
That was my thought exactly. I love those streaks that are on both sides. There are points where the flame matches but it is less flame on one side. Defiantly has character.

Kidofthepast

Reaction score
I like it. I am not into severely mismatched tops but I also don't like perfect tops either. Yours looks a bit like my CC4:

Damn that is a lovely looking guitar. Great to see another with a similar top too. Definitely has mojo.

dCi_king

Reaction score
I took a look at your thread. Looks like you have a stunning one! How are you finding it after some time playing?

New standards are a great value. Nice flame tops, perfect neck size (not too much thin, not a baseball bat neck). Definetly great sounding guitars. Nice handwork too by the Gibson guys. They really have improved the QC.

I will be upgrading pups very soon but not absolutetly necessary, but I prefer a more vintage tone.

Get yours, dude!

Kidofthepast

Reaction score
New standards are a great value. Nice flame tops, perfect neck size (not too much thin, not a baseball bat neck). Definetly great sounding guitars. Nice handwork too by the Gibson guys. They really have improved the QC.

I will be upgrading pups very soon but not absolutetly necessary, but I prefer a more vintage tone.

Get yours, dude!
Yes, I just found this one to play so nicely. The neck is the perfect profile for me I think. The stock pickups sound pretty good to me, I will do the Peter Green mod though ☺

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice, a little mismatch is natural to me. Ones that are plain tops on one side and flames on the other would bother me.
This. I dig mismatched tops as long as the depth of figuring (flame or grain) is roughly equal on both sides. When the top half looks like a flame top and the bottom half looks like a plaintop, that looks strange to me. Likewise, perfectly symmetrical flametops looks unnatural to me too. Wood shouldn't be perfect.

Kidofthepast

Reaction score
The back on mine may be a two piece bit of mahogany. Would this bother you?

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
On of my favorite guitars is an hp traditional body from stratosphere...

I loved the flame despite it being mismatched...
This is the only [stratosphere] guitar top I liked so much that I didn’t route a 3rd pup despite planning on it when buying
It’s kinda insane in person...like me :h5:

AD13E5C7-DB58-4A3E-B768-1A3C09BC89AD.jpeg

Last edited:

Guitpicky

Reaction score
I really think it’s better to look at a guitar as a whole package and not focus on one or more particular features in isolation. Personally I’m looking to be impressed overall and if I am I don’t sweat the details because they’re just details.

It really doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks. If it bothers you now it will continue to, if not then it probably never will. If there’s anything you’re trying to talk yourself into liking or accepting, take a pass and keep looking.

Gibson bookmatching leaves a lot to be desired overall, they just don’t put a high value on it. Sometimes they nail it, but most of the time it’s kind of hit or miss. That one isn’t bad at all by Gibson standards. BAD is when they don’t even look like they came from the same tree :)

vintageguitarz

Reaction score
Hi y'all. I have my eye on a great Les Paul Standard 60s Unburst which is a good player but the flame doesn’t really match up. I would like to here your thoughts on wether this would bother you or.... do you think it’s a looker? Also, show me your mismatched Les Paul’s! I would be interested to know. Thanks.
- KidofthepastView attachment 436129View attachment 436128View attachment 436130
SLOPPY SLOPPY SLOPPY, blah and far less than meh .... exactly what you would expect from Gibson of late that has more interest in promoting mediocre models named for mediocre has-been guitarists like Saul Hudson aka "Slash"