Misaligned neck profile question

mness4

Reaction score
I'm part way through my SG build and noticed a mistake I made when aligning the headstock template to the centerline. I didn't notice until after completely profiling the neck. I inadvertently slid the template a hair to the left laterally...no rotation. The nut fits snugly to both the fret board and the headstock veneer and it remains perpendicular to the centerline. In effect, imagine taking the upper corners of the fretboard and moving them ~1mm to the left while the lower corners of the fretboard remain still and the trussrod (2-way from LMI) remains still as well. I'm trying to confirm that I can move ahead with the neck.

I have two concerns: 1) The truss rod will be ever so slightly offset from the centerline of the finished neck, so I image there will be a very slight off-center pull when tightening the trussrod; 2) The relative lengths of the strings will be different as opposed what they would be if the nut were not shifted ~1mm to the left. I think this difference can be easily compensated for by the bridge. I'm mostly concerned with the first issue.

I took the neck to my local guitar shop and talked to the tech. He thought it shouldn't be an issue. However, I was a little concerned that he wasn't definitive one way or the other. I'm pretty new to this and thought the answer should be obvious to someone with a lot of experience.

BTW, the trussrod is not completely buried at the nut because I wanted to make sure I had enough meat below the channel with this relatively thin SG neck. I have a 1/8" linear taper in depth from end to end.

Any thoughts on the misalignment issue?

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

Joe Desperado

Reaction score
If I understand you correctly, then I don’t see a big issue. More than one vintage guitar has had a slightly off center headstock

ARandall

Reaction score
Is the trussrod centred in the neck shaft area, because lets face it the TR doesn't work to fix a bow in the headstock.

So in this case you will do nothing to the nut or the neck shaft. But the flare of the wood after the nut will alter fractionally. Or indeed you could cut the wider side of the headstock a bit more to make it once again mirror image around the centreline.
Ok, you'd have a little smaller headstock size overall, but unless the only purpose of the guitar was for you to sit around with your mates and a Vernier calliper and boast about how accurately sized your headstock was, I can't see a problem. You've only drilled the pilot tuner holes, so you might get away with slightly moving them too - not that tuners too don't have a long history of non perfect alignment either.

mness4

Reaction score
Is the trussrod centred in the neck shaft area, because lets face it the TR doesn't work to fix a bow in the headstock.

So in this case you will do nothing to the nut or the neck shaft. But the flare of the wood after the nut will alter fractionally. Or indeed you could cut the wider side of the headstock a bit more to make it once again mirror image around the centreline.
Ok, you'd have a little smaller headstock size overall, but unless the only purpose of the guitar was for you to sit around with your mates and a Vernier calliper and boast about how accurately sized your headstock was, I can't see a problem. You've only drilled the pilot tuner holes, so you might get away with slightly moving them too - not that tuners too don't have a long history of non perfect alignment either.
Thanks for the advice,,,and to Joe too. My preference would be to do nothing and move ahead, but your suggestion is something I had not considered. I think I'll trace out what a correction would look like. I measured the offset as best I could and, as mentioned, it looks to be 1mm. So the neck wouldn't be significantly narrower if corrected. Today I received some stewmac centering rulers and can get a better measurement. The pilot holdes in the headstock only go 2mm deep, so they would not be an issue. However, the open book detail on the headstock might require more size reduction than I would like to make symmetric. We'll see what the tracing shows.

Would I shave the nut flush to the sides of the neck or leave it proud?

Thanks again,
Mike

mness4

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice,,,and to Joe too. My preference would be to do nothing and move ahead, but your suggestion is something I had not considered. I think I'll trace out what a correction would look like. I measured the offset as best I could and, as mentioned, it looks to be 1mm. So the neck wouldn't be significantly narrower if corrected. Today I received some stewmac centering rulers and can get a better measurement. The pilot holdes in the headstock only go 2mm deep, so they would not be an issue. However, the open book detail on the headstock might require more size reduction than I would like to make symmetric. We'll see what the tracing shows.

Would I shave the nut flush to the sides of the neck or leave it proud?

Thanks again,
Mike

Just confirmed with the centering ruler that reprofiling to remove 1 mm from the left side of the neck at the top would result in a symmetric 42mm wide neck at the nut with a 44mm wide nut. There would be a 3mm distance from the E slot to the edge of the fretboard. If I went this route, would I shave the nut on either side?

Roxy13

Reaction score
I'm not an expert but I would make a nut that fit flush to the neck and then map out my string spacing.

emoney

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure I'm grasping the problem, but if I am correct, you're worried that the trussrod slot (and now the trussrod) are 1mm off from the centerline of the neck itself? IF that's the issue; pfftt, carry on it'll be fine. The trussrod is still going to work as designed since it relies on the grain of the neck to cooperate. I wouldn't make it more narrow to one side, personally, because you risk another "oops" moment where you can go too far and then you have to do some shaving to the treble side, etc. etc. Before you know it, there goes your neck, lol.

mness4

Reaction score
Thanks. I was concerned about that too but I did go the route of narrowing the neck since it was such a minor adjustment. I'm the type that would obsess with the imperfection even years from now, so I just dealt with it. Seems to be right on the money.

Latest Threads