Mini humbucker tone in full size HB?

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
I was reading about a guy that used to put mini HBs under a full sized HB cover for Mark Ford. Apparently he doesn't make them anymore. Does anyone know of a current winder that makes a mini hb in a full size format? I have a guitar that is way too muddy in the neck and remembered one of my favourite LP neck pickups was from a mini humbucker in a 70s LP deluxe. Any suggestions?

mdubya

Reaction score
You can get an adapter ring.

And I agree, a mini humbucker or a Firebird pickup may be the best possible neck pickup.

But then there is P-90, or humbucker sized P-90.

Or a low wind humbucker.

The Tom Holmes H450 in one of my Firebirds and also in one of my 335s is pretty close to mini humbucker and does incredible glassy tones in the middle switch position with volumes and tones backed down a bit. With 50's wiring, rolling tones down seems to clean up the tone which is counter intuitive, I think. But it works.

^^^ I've had people marvel at the "Strat-like" tones the Holmes pickups can produce. They are also great for either sweet cleans or gritty rhythm tones.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a current winder that makes a mini hb in a full size format?
That's definitely doable. It won't sound quite the same with full-size pole pieces, but you'll get the brighter narrow pickup area of the smaller coils and the sound of the blade slug coil.

A Strat single coil will fit in a humbucker chassis, too, if you really want to have something brighter and cleaner.

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
That's definitely doable. It won't sound quite the same with full-size pole pieces, but you'll get the brighter narrow pickup area of the smaller coils and the sound of the blade slug coil.

A Strat single coil will fit in a humbucker chassis, too, if you really want to have something brighter and cleaner.

Single coil would be cool but I don't want the added noise. Couldn't a mini humbucker just get placed under a full sized cover?

MCT

Reaction score
I think Jaime over at the Creamery does these, but they’re HB-sized Firebird pickups.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Single coil would be cool but I don't want the added noise. Couldn't a mini humbucker just get placed under a full sized cover?
Yes, of course! You could even use the mini pole screws, if you want, but it would look kinda funny. If you want it 100% stealth, normal PAF pole screws will only change the sound a little.

Latest Threads