Mini Humbucker (Bridge Pickup 1/2 Volume)

Gridlock

Reaction score
I have a 2015 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe. The guitar has been modified (not by me) with PAF mini humbuckers and has been handwired.

Ever since I’ve owned the guitar, the bridge pickup has had 1/2 volume of the neck pickup (lots of treble).

I had the guitar to two respected Luthers and they could not find a problem. Apparently the output readings from both pickups are virtually identical. I don’t recall the exact values.

Any help in solving my pickup problem is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Grid

E6C5CD76-8C8F-4A05-A3CF-E05FE7EE3B4E.jpeg

8AF7FD40-1E1C-4181-9906-3C7E74C6F2F9.jpeg
4B1E573C-5BCB-4702-9249-0E7B0DCCDEA6.jpeg
A9AC6262-38ED-4CA1-96BA-768888F83D20.jpeg

58F276AF-D9B2-4F32-9C53-785D6E44252B.jpeg

Last edited:

diavolo

Reaction score
on that lower left pot, where the hot center is coming out of that braided cable, is it contacting the side of the pot by mistake before its reaching the leg? it also looks like that wire is poking up out of the control cavity, meaning the cover is going to be pushing it when its closed.

you could also try cleaning the selector switch.

ARandall

Reaction score
Try bypassing all the electronics....or indeed swapping them between pickups to see if any symptoms persist.

Then maybe physically swapping the pickups neck to bridge. K readings are not output readings, neither are they the be-all and-end all for pickup health diagnosis.

ARandall

Reaction score
^within itself......unlikely, plus 2 coils that close physically would most likely almost completely cancel each other.

Gridlock

Reaction score
Thanks all, I’ll read all of your suggestions more carefully tonight and check them against the guitar.

I was close to replacing the bridge pickup but want to rule out the wiring.

LPTDMSV

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is probably too obvious, but what are your polepiece-to-string distances? With 2 identical pickups, the neck pickup has to be a lot further away from the strings than the bridge pickup to get a balance between them.

LPTDMSV

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe. The guitar has been modified (not by me) with PAF mini humbuckers and has been handwired.

Ever since I’ve owned the guitar, the bridge pickup has had 1/2 volume of the neck pickup (lots of treble).

I had the guitar to two respected Luthers and they could not find a problem. Apparently the output readings from both pickups are virtually identical. I don’t recall the exact values.

Any help in solving my pickup problem is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Grid

View attachment 514834
View attachment 514835 View attachment 514837 View attachment 514838

View attachment 514843
looks like it's wired up 50s style. probably not connected to your specific problem, but I would not be happy with how close the capacitor leads are to touching ground at either end.

diavolo

Reaction score
i was looking at the ends of that too, hard to tell whats touching what by accident.
when this sort of problem occurs its almost always a grounding problem.
i experienced the same issue before when ones of my grounds was disconnected

LPTDMSV

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks like it's wired up 50s style. probably not connected to your specific problem, but I would not be happy with how close the capacitor leads are to touching ground at either end.
To be clear, this guitar has been completely re-wired and whoever did it made all the changes I would have done! Authentic mini-humbuckers instead of the too-clever modern ones, ditch the coil splits and toggle switch, 50s circuit for the sound - and vintage-style caps for added mojo/style. These are all good moves (in my opinion) but the soldering and component placement looks sub-optimal, those cap leads should be sleeved, etc.

If it was mine I would looking very hard for shorts and components touching where they shouldn't, then I'd solder the pickup direct to the output and see what sound came out of that. I'm surprised the guitar techs haven't done this already.

If it does turn out to be a broken coil in the pickup, I would really recommend getting it repaired, they are super pickups (but you know that already!).

Gridlock

Reaction score
This is probably too obvious, but what are your polepiece-to-string distances? With 2 identical pickups, the neck pickup has to be a lot further away from the strings than the bridge pickup to get a balance between them.
I’ve played with pickup height. Not much success though.

Thanks, good call.

Gridlock

Reaction score
To be clear, this guitar has been completely re-wired and whoever did it made all the changes I would have done! Authentic mini-humbuckers instead of the too-clever modern ones, ditch the coil splits and toggle switch, 50s circuit for the sound - and vintage-style caps for added mojo/style. These are all good moves (in my opinion) but the soldering and component placement looks sub-optimal, those cap leads should be sleeved, etc.

If it was mine I would looking very hard for shorts and components touching where they shouldn't, then I'd solder the pickup direct to the output and see what sound came out of that. I'm surprised the guitar techs haven't done this already.

If it does turn out to be a broken coil in the pickup, I would really recommend getting it repaired, they are super pickups (but you know that already!).
Absolutely correct . Whoever did that work, would be what I also would have wanted done. A weekend project.

Latest Threads