Min 7 sharp 5 chords

To Need a Woman

Reaction score
I've only come across one player who's used these chords. Below is some of his music. Does anybody know of songs that use these chords?

Tablature for E string rooted and A string rooted shapes:

Code:
    Bm#5            Dm#5

-----------------------
----7------8--------6---
----7--OR--7--------5--
----7------7--------8----
----10-----10-------5------
----7------7--------
There's one of these chords here at the 0:40 minute mark:

One here at the 0:28 & 0:31

There's a few in the intro here:

Last edited:

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Premium Member
Reaction score
James Bond theme, especially @ 0:40 and beyond.

And an old Henry Mancini song,

Last edited:

huw

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
:hmm:

Well, the "problem" with m7#5 chords, is that you can argue that they don't really exist! - It's just a 1st inversion major chord.

;)

I'm sure you've thought of this, but if we take the Bm7#5 in your OP, or actually let's start with just Bm#5, before we bring the 7th back into it.

Bm = B D F#

Sharpen the 5th : F# > Fx (F double sharp) which = G (enharmonically)

Bm#5 = B D G = G major in 1st inversion (ie with the third at the bottom)

That's why you (almost) never hear of them, it's "just" an inversion of a major triad.

Even if we put that 7th back, that's still how it plays out:

Bm7 = B D F# A

Bm7#5 = B D G A = Gadd9 (1st inversion)

So if we're looking for a name to describe that chord in isolation then it would be usual to go with the simplest.

(And that first version of the chord you tabed is a 1st inversion Gmaj9 because it has a high F# on the B string too)

But I'm not just here to p*** on your cornflakes - context is always important, and The James Bond theme is the example I always use to show how sometimes we might go with a less common name. Instead of writing Em > C > Em6 > C rpt we might choose to write Em > Em#5 > Em6 > Em#5 because it gives a more accurate impression of what is happening as the chords change (but as used in the Rick Graham tracks, I'd stick with the major naming)

:)

Latest Threads